Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    1. Don't diagnose people with/without a mental illness. It's impossible to do online and you are far from qualified to do so anyway.

2. Psychology A-level isn't worth ****, thus it places you in no authority to do number 1.

3. Again, stop trying to diagnose people.

4. No idea wtf you're talking about here. Incoherent as usual.

5. Potentially it could fit the definition. However, doing such online is neither suitable nor appropriate.

6. Again, your a-level means ****.
    Oh I got 3 As in my AS Psychology Units last year.

Her mother's GP clearly doesn't think her mother has a mental illness if s/he isn't taking the daughter seriously.

Read into it please.

Oh. I wasn't diagnosing. But saying she wasn't from what I heard. I've heard of her characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Ok smartie pants...you have no personal experience in this matter do you?
    Experience in what way, sorry?

She's claiming to have a tumour she knows she doesn't have? Sleeping around with strangers? Asking for money off strangers? Hellooo
    Irrelivent. It is not your place to diagnose people. You are neither a Psychologist nor a Psychiatrist.

A Level has told me a lot about the basis of mental illness. I can recognise it better then a clear bad egg (no offence OP)
    A-Level Psych doesn't even scratch the surface of mental illness. You are far, far, FAR from being the expert you believe you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiration)
    sweetie i have A in A level psych and am currenyl studyin it in Uni
    but you cant diagnose these things (like her soo complex)
    remember studying how people are so complex and complicated
    but muchly thnaks for the advice though i keep opening tsr to read it xx
    Oh kk. I wasn't diagosning lol.

I was saying it was behavioural not mental illness lol
    Totally different.

Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Oh I got 3 As in my AS Psychology Units last year.
    Come back when you've completed 3 years of undergrad, 3 years clinical doctorate, gained a number of years of clinical practice in assessing patients and have spoken to both the OP and his/her mother in a clinical environment.

Until then, STFU about your A-level. It has no applicable worth.

.. Oh and I received a distinction in every single module at university thus far. It doesn't mean I try and diagnose people online.

ReputationRep:

Totally different.

Thanks anyway
    What?

Please define "behavioural" and "mental illness" and explain to me the "difference" you are referring to here. You never make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Experience in what way, sorry?

Irrelivent. It is not your place to diagnose people. You are neither a Psychologist nor a Psychiatrist.

A-Level Psych doesn't even scratch the surface of mental illness. You are far, far, FAR from being the expert you believe you are.
    Someone close to me. None of your beeswax basically. You wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'm not diagonsing for ***** sake! It's her attitude and behaviour. She needs to steal her kids money and lie?

I don't think I'm a expert. But mental illness is straightforward, as it's catagotised. For example, all anoxerics at college are all over ambitonous achievers (proved in the Times, they do better then expected).

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of irrelevant, but the above debate just makes me think of how David and Goliath would have happened in real life.

Did I mention I have an A-Level in Psychology too? :P:

ReputationRep:
    But mental illness is straightforward, as it's catagotised.
    I lol'd.

For example, all anoxerics at college are all over ambitonous achievers (proved in the Times, they do better then expected).
    Please. Do you honestly think you can describe such a broad group by using terms such as "all" and "proved".

ReputationRep:
    What?

Please define "behavioural" and "mental illness" and explain to me the "difference" you are referring to here. You never make any sense.
    I need a drink.

Behaviourial is negative behaviour. Like slapping and shouting at someone's face for no reason. Borrowing money off someone constantly.

Mental illness is a mental block in a person's cognitive functioning. Like I hate myself for clinical depression. Or I'm fat for anoxeria.

One's offical recogised as a disability, see?

ReputationRep:

Totally different.

Thanks anyway
    i get your point i swear i understood ur point from the first time i read it i didnt even have to read it twice..but dont worry theres many people on the student room who reckon theyre better or more sphoistictaed u know from the way they write an others who just wana proove a point wrong (PC like when someone types a word wrong)

even when your post is CLEAR as CRYSTAL.they play Dumb!:woo:

thanks for ur input (unlike other posts)^^

ReputationRep:
    I thought the thread was about Man Met when I first saw the title ("is MMU MENTAL??" ). Silly me

ReputationRep:
    I need a drink.

Behaviourial is negative behaviour. Like slapping and shouting at someone's face for no reason. Borrowing money off someone constantly.

Mental illness is a mental block in a person's cognitive functioning. Like I hate myself for clinical depression. Or I'm fat for anoxeria.

One's offical recogised as a disability, see?
    Mental illness is defined through long-term behavioural patterns. Making a distinction between the two as you have done in this case is neither helpful nor accurate.

Yet again, I fail to see your incoherent and rambling point.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd.

Please. Do you honestly think you can describe such a broad group by using terms such as "all" and "proved".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...by_DSM_and_ICD I know it's wiki

Well, all ones I know from college. And it's proof to me

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6736324.ece

It's not the same article. But close enough to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiration)
    is my MUM MENTAL? (she got upset when i told her this)?

mum and dad broke up when i was 17. im 21 now. she has our little sister living at her house. every month or so she has a new man. shes 42! and she told us shes pregnant the other day

a few months back she needed money from us (yes the kids) we didnt have it, then she told us shes going to die because she has a tumour. i used to cry myself to sleep every night when i knew this to find out it was false a few weeks later ! (just a ploy to get emotion? money?)

my little sister (11) sends me text messages calling my a stupid cow and tells me to go and shag around like i do (!!!!!!!!!) its all poison from the mum

mum also brings men to the house when little sister is there --I so scared they will rape her or do something to her because these people are VERY dodgy and my sis is the attntion craving sort!

my questions:

1) is mum mental

2) what to do (can a mental person be treated even against their will- Im in the UK and i wrote a letter to her GP because we have the mental health act here -they have to be treated if they're a threat to anyone) and the stupid GP went and showed mum the letter!!!!!!

3) what to do about little sister (ive had enough):eek3:
    1) Your mum hasn't got any mental health problems, she just seems to be (from what you've said) a really selfish mother. However you must still try your upmost to respect her because she did look after you and broughtt you up when you were a child.

2) As crazy as it sounds, do the things she askes you to do (considering you have the resources and her requests aren't silly, use your judgement) you have to set an example for your little sister because she DOES look up to you even though it seems like quite the contrary. You have to try and improve the relationship between yourself and your mum. In other words, you need to be 'the bigger woman'

3) If possible try and see her alone (without your mum) so that you can explain things. Don't try and turn her against your mum or anything, just try and build up a better relationship. You need to be a role model because your mother isn't providing a very good one.

Things may change quickly, not so soon or not at all. But what's important is that you do the right thing. I reckon that your little sister is the key to making things better. If you get your littles sister 'on your side' a bit more, your mum might start seeing her faults. She's a mother and ultimately wants the best for her kids. She will see where she was wrong and I believe she will apologize, it may take a while but I believe it could happen. But you must prepare yourself in the case that your best efforts might not change anything. In that case you must seek advice from other family members. But the most imporetant thing, NEVER give up on your mum or sister, ESPECIALLY your sister.

ReputationRep:
    Mental illness is defined through long-term behavioural patterns. Making a distinction between the two as you have done in this case is neither helpful nor accurate.

Lol, grow up. You see a ASBO as a mental health problem? That's behavioural. I wouldn't.

Her GP sees nothing wrong with the mother.

ReputationRep:

[QUOTE=KennyS1]1) Your mum hasn't got any mental health problems, she just seems to be (from what you've said) a really selfish mother. However you must still try your upmost to respect her because she did look after you and broughtt you up when you were a child.

2) As crazy as it sounds, do the things she askes you to do (considering you have the resources and her requests aren't silly, use your judgement) you have to set an example for your little sister because she DOES look up to you even though it seems like quite the contrary. You have to try and improve the relationship between yourself and your mum. In other words, you need to be 'the bigger woman'

3) If possible try and see her alone (without your mum) so that you can explain things. Don't try and turn her against your mum or anything, just try and build up a better relationship. You need to be a role model because your mother isn't providing a very good one.

Things may change quickly, not so soon or not at all. But what's important is that you do the right thing. I reckon that your little sister is the key to making things better. If you get your littles sister 'on your side' a bit more, your mum might start seeing her faults. She's a mother and ultimately wants the best for her kids. She will see where she was wrong and I believe she will apologize, it may take a while but I believe it could happen. But you must prepare yourself in the case that your best efforts might not change anything. In that case you must seek advice from other family members. But the most imporetant thing, NEVER give up on your mum or sister, ESPECIALLY your sister.[/

I'm not the only person who thinks its the mother's attitude and behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...by_DSM_and_ICD I know it's wiki
    Yes, great. A wikipedia article about the DSM and ICD. This is supposed to show me what, exactly?

Well, all ones I know from college. And it's proof to me
    I don't give a **** about "what is proof to you". The fact that you have chosen to use the word "proven/proof" immediately shows that you have neither a methodologial background nor an aptitude for evidence-based logic. As soon as someone says to me "x have proven this", especially in a field such as Psychology, I can 100% guarantee that they have not "proven" anything.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, grow up. You see a ASBO as a mental health problem? That's behavioural. I wouldn't..
    Potentially, it could be.

A schizophrenic running around the streets screaming his face off could be given an ASBO. Does this mean in your opinion he is not mentally ill?

Your argument is so incoherent that it is near impossible to take your logic and show it back to you. Are you trying to tell me that mental illness ISN'T defined through behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, great. A wikipedia article about the DSM and ICD. This is supposed to show me what, exactly?

I don't give a **** about "what is proof to you". The fact that you have chosen to use the word "proven/proof" immediately shows that you have neither a methodologial background nor an aptitude for evidence-based logic. As soon as someone says to me "x have proven this", especially in a field such as Psychology, I can 100% guarantee that they have not "proven" anything.
    (hits head on table) Mental illness is diagonsed by catagery?

I know, that's why there's sooo much critism in Psychology in everything. You can never fully prove anything. It's a common characteritistic though.

Please give up. I think you stalk me for fun. One day I'll just ignore you.

ReputationRep:
    (hits head on table) Mental illness is diagonsed by catagery?
    Is English your first language?

I know, that's why there's sooo much critism in Psychology in everything. You can never fully prove anything. It's a common characteritistic though.
    Then why the **** are you here telling me that "they have proven x y and z"?

Jesus christ..

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.