Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now i really dislike labour, but i don't understand, why they don't do anything for the youth, who are supposed to take on the responsibility of the country.

For example, i'm looking for a job (apprenticeship), but low and behold there is nothing to be found in Hertfordshire, where i reside.

Just want people's opinions on why they believe that the government isn't taking care of the youth.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Because Youth at the moment are a nice thing for everyone to criticize. Oh look at all the gangs and chavs and horrible young people. And because of that, good young people are painted with that brush. I agree that there are a lot of youth that are completely vile, but there are a lot of EVERYONE who are vile in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Because they generally can't or don't vote. Just be glad you don't live in a town with a large percentage of retired people who block any kind of progress, new ideas or development in the area, then you'll know what it's like to be an ignored young person.

ReputationRep:
    they are not part of the electorate and therefore have no bearing on the power the party has or does not have

simples

ReputationRep:
    Because they're all whinging little pricks like you OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Because they generally can't or don't vote. Just be glad you don't live in a town with a large percentage of retired people who block any kind of progress, new ideas or development in the area, then you'll know what it's like to be an ignored young person.
    LOL, I was going to reply saying 'sounds similar to Torquay' or something, before I realized... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gpollard)
    Now i really dislike labour, but i don't understand, why they don't do anything for the youth, who are supposed to take on the responsibility of the country.

For example, i'm looking for a job (apprenticeship), but low and behold there is nothing to be found in Hertfordshire, where i reside.

Just want people's opinions on why they believe that the government isn't taking care of the youth.:mad:

& this has what? to do with the government?

they arnt the only employer in the UK
    they cant magically create jobs for people
    they cant force employers to take on staff that arnt required

its nothing whatsoever to do with what political party is in power at the time, its just life.

(Original post by ajp100688)
    Indeed, vote whoring or "government capture" as i think it's known in economics is a major issue for the first past of the post system.

ReputationRep:
    well edge, lets look at the depression in america

what did the government do, create public works schemes, to give people jobs, they should be doing something more productive

ReputationRep:
    Because they'll all be dead and free by the time our lives are completely ruined? :dontknow:

That or the vote thing... Make sure you vote and encourage your friends to vote. Why would they waste time on a group of people who don't even make a difference to voting results?

ReputationRep:

what did the government do, create public works schemes, to give people jobs, they should be doing something more productive

& what happens after those schemes have finished?

there is currently a recession, it is nothing like the depression though.
    during the depression, the economy pretty much collapsed & stopped working.
    we are not in that situation, most people have jobs, & the great majority of those jobs are safe.

the type of infrastructure projects that are going ahead require skilled people, not just anyone.

laying rail track in the 1930's was quite a bit different to how it is now, with the different signalling systems, electrification etc etc

ReputationRep:

How do you propose they do this? You can't just create jobs and apprenticeships out of nothing.

How will you pay for unskilled workers, pay for their training, pay for their supervision and the extra resources required. This all costs money, and in a recession, companies could be working and earning money for the business rather than training apprentices.

ReputationRep:
    When blaming the bankers fails, blame the government.

There's a recession across the world, pretty much every country is suffering.

Also, your comment about the US government creating public work schemes. Isolationism? If you're familiar you'll know that the USA's economy boosted because all the efforts went into producing war materials for the European countries fighting Hitler. They had the money to create jobs once the war started. Before they may have created jobs too, but they had the advantage by this point. There's no way the government here can be expected to provide jobs all the time, especially how increasing numbers are going on JSA and claiming benefits because of not having work.

ReputationRep:

What do you expect the government to do? Create millions of jobs out of nothing? We're in a recession in case you hadn't noticed - you can't artificially create more jobs when there isn't a demand for products and services.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.