Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Insulin Resistance Watch

Recently i have been diagnosed with PCOS and am quite concerned about this and how it will affect my life as im 18 and have always wanted children when i am older. The doctor has advised me to lose weight but just out of curiosity, what exactly will the weight loss do? Will it help with my irregular periods and thinning scalp hair and the acanthosis nigricans that i suffer on various regions of my body because of PCOS? I think i may be insulin resistant and so was wondering if i should keep carbs and sugary foods to the absolute minimum or start the GI diet? Will i have to consume low amounts of carbs and/or go on the gi diet for the rest of my life? thank you for any information anyone can give as i do not know anyone else who has ever had this syndrome and the diagnosis has come as a shock.

ReputationRep:
    An ex of mine had PCOS. Had to go to the hospital with her for various tests etc...
    Anyway... the upshot of it was that she was told once you're ready to start having kids you can be given drugs that will sort all that out. Im sure you will be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I have PCOS and Insulin Resistance, too. I was diagnosed almost two years ago, so I hope I can answer some of your questions.

Weight loss will definitely help minimize and even reverse some of the most annoying symptoms of PCOS. It can resotre menstration and ovulation, clear up acne, and your hair might thicken as well. Unfortunately, since PCOS is a syndrome it's something that you will never be completely rid of...there is no cure, but there definitely are ways to help treat it!

The best way to lose weight with PCOS and IR is by following a low sugar, good carb (no carb diets are not all they are cracked up to be), reduced calorie diet with plenty of exercise. Weight training has been noted as a very effective weapon against IR. Unfortunately, these healthy decisions are ones that we'll need to continue to make for the rest of our lives if we wish to reverse the symptoms and feel more "normal."

I take a daily medication called Metformin (I believe its called Glucophage in the UK?). It's an insulin sensitizing drug that is also used for the treament of diabetes. It has helped me immensely with losing weight and regulating my hormones. You should ask your GP if you might benefit from it as well.

As for the future, I know there is a lot of false information out there that says women with PCOS can't have children. That's simply not true - while it may be harder for a woman with PCOS to convceive, it happens all the time! A lot of factors will detemine how long and under what circumstances it will take (there are tons of effective fertility treaments), but most PCOSers have beautiful, healthy children, and a great majority of them do so naturally.

soulcysters.com is a fantastic website that has really helped me with this whole ordeal. Check out the forum - there's even an international section where you can speak with others from the UK.

PM me if you have any more Q's! I'd love to help. This syndrom is a real ***** but don't let it get you down!

ReputationRep:
    Is that the Type 2 diabetes, where your body doesnt recognize are you insulin cause of your poor diet and being over weight? And may I ask if your over weight?

ReputationRep:
    IR is not diabetes. It can lead to diabetes, though.

It should also be made clear that being overweight doesn't cause the syndrome. There are plenty of overweight people who do not have PCOS. It can be the case for many that weight gain is a result of the underlying metabolic and hormonal problems that characterize the syndrome. Women of all shapes and sizes can have PCOS, healthy diet or poor diet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.