The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same as going from KS3 to GCSE in my opinion always gets harder
Reply 2
yes maths is ridiculously harder along with science. English my friends said was harder but generally courses have alot more in them/

Yes it is harder but still i dont think its completely massive jump minus maths i think !
Reply 3
i found the gap from GCSE to AS was quite big... probs cause u cant dos AS as much as GCSE... but if u work u will probs find it ok :smile:
tbh it all depends on the subject. physics is quite a jump, same with maths. i dont study media studies. but from stats it is one of the easiest. and with physics gcse-as is the same as as-a2 :s-smilie::
Reply 5
the gap was undeniably large, like the content was more complex

but i didnt reely find it hard, u just have to put work in, doing homework, reading up if u dont understand or not naturallly gifted

its not too bad - much better than i expected tbh
Reply 6
I found maths alright actually, because C1 was mostly GCSE stuff anyway.

Overall I didn't find the jump anything special at all - I was staying at a school anyway and it was just like going back after the summer, only with more freedom. I thought the AS to A2 jump was harder, actually.
Reply 7
If you worked hard in your GCSE's and you plan to work hard from in the future you have nothing to worry about.
There's quite a gap if you look at the depth the subjects go into. There's definitely a lot more to learn, but you're doing less subjects so it's not too bad. You'll get through it as long as you work hard come exam time. I know it sounds clichéd, but you seriously need to listen in class :rolleyes: . I didn't much in Psychology at the start of the year, and my grade suffered. You miss a lot of important things you'll need for the exams if you stop concentrating/have time off that you'll need to catch up on, but just stay focused and you'll be fine.
Reply 9
I didn't find it a major jump at all, got adjusted pretty quickly. When you're introduced to harder material, it may seem difficult at first, but after a while you'll become familiar with it. It's down to the individual though and how much work they're willing to do to understand the material.
Reply 10
kind of hard yes; don't underestimate it. but with lots of determination you'll be fine.
Reply 11
I found it a big jump. I guess it depends on what you take and your work ethic though. For GCSE I literally just did the work that was set and didn't bother with revision so naturally the jump seemed alot bigger to me than it did to others in my year.
*groan* I'm taking the main culprits of: Maths, Physics, English Literature and History- hope it's not too hard!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, got any tips whilst I have a free schedule in which to fill with 'bridging the gap' type stuff?
Reply 13
don't bother. seriously enjoy your only very-longggg summer !!!

once septemeber comes and you start you'll be working pretty much everyday so theres really no point. imo anyway. i don't do maths but maybe going over a few topics might help. as for the rest-chillax!
Reply 14
The sciences are a bit of a bitch, but mainly natural progression. You didn't expect it to become easier, did you?
teachers etc always say there is a massive leap from one stage of the education system to another.

But there isn't.
yes i couldn't deal with the jump in chemistry and was ready to leave after two weeks..two years later and here i am awaiting my crap grade..
depends on the subjects really- for maths and further maths, i found the jump was practically non-existant- at the beginning its mainly the same difficulty as gcse, just different...
for languages though, the jump is huge, so you need to make sure you know all the gcse stuff inside-out, back-to-front, upside-down, etc etc
didn't really notice it that much. maths was a bit more difficult but not too much. english pretty similar. languages as said already is a pretty big gap but it's not too bad if you have a good teacher. other subjects are basically the same. you just have to work independently more, which is why people find it hard.
there's quite a big gap. But you got to remember - you've gone from doing 8, 9, 10 or 11 subjects to doing maybe 4 or 5. There's going to be at least twice as much work per subject anyway, just to fill up your time :P

Latest