Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found the gap from AS to A2 more significant than the gap from GCSE to AS :confused:

ReputationRep:
    gap year = crap

ReputationRep:
    I'm not expecting it to be any easier, it's the next step up. When I did my SAT's and looked at GCSE's I was completely baffled by quadratics, surds etc in maths, now I look back thinking it was easy. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same in Maths and Further Maths in Uni :ninja:

I only take English Literature out of the subjects you've described but it's really not a bit deal at all.

To be fair, I didn't find any of my subjects a giant leap and I picked up 2 that I'd never studied before (Media and Psychology).

The jump from AS to A2 is MUCH MUCH harder and noone warns you about that.

Just keep your brain in gear over the summer, read some books and keep your maths-y skills in check and you'll be fine

If you feel overwhelmed after the first 3 weeks of college, consider dropping a subject or ask for someone's help with time management etc. If you're still stressed after that, apply for Study-Plus type schemes- loads of people do them in my college and there's no shame in asking for help

ReputationRep:
    Maths isn't that hard as all you need to do practice.

I really didn't see a big jump.

ReputationRep:
    i think the huge difference is the amount of work that u have to do on your own, and research. alevel is all down to you and not ur teachers. Wen given a task, is UR job to do the reserach and complete it, the teachers are much less involved. However, u will b hopefully studyin subjects u like. And ur working towards something big like uni or employment. I really enjoyed doing my alevels, i learnt alot more then i did at gcse!

ReputationRep:
    I didnt find it that hard tbh but i did subjects which i hadn't studied before so there wasnt really anything to compare it to (other than with Eng Lit) but the work load is a lot bigger in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I found the gap between GCSE and Alevel extremely big! I was not prepared and am now worrying alot over my results! I say prepare yourself for the worst.

ReputationRep:
    It's a change in the way you're taught that get's most people i think.

You're expected to take more responsibility for yourself. Also if you were just easing through your GCSE's then you really should realise that you can't do that for A levels. Even if you think you can at the start come exam time you will realise that you need to pull your finger out.

Main thing is that you're dealing with generally far more complex ideas and you'll need to put in extra time outside the classroom to get your head around it. If you accept this and are prepared to do he work then you should cope fine.

Don't stress yourself over it. That's what exam time is for =]

ReputationRep:
    Its a fairly big gap between GCSE and AS but you'll cope im sure...i found the jump between AS and A2 alot harder though...AS's are hard but A2's are just ridiculous....especially with science...don't fret though, as long as you put in the work, you'll be fine.You can't blag your way through A levels, your grades will be a true reflection of the amount of effort you put in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    I found the gap from AS to A2 more significant than the gap from GCSE to AS :confused:
    :yep: This is what I was told by teachers at my school.

ReputationRep:
    Such a mixed reaction!

I guess it just depends on you as a person rather than everyone altogether, so i'll just have to find out in September.

Hopefully, i've done enough prepping this summer holiday to find it okay...:/
    Thanks for all the advice, i'm going to brush up on my maths skills and read around the subjects for AS.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    For me the gap really didn't seem as big as people made it out to be. I had to revise for longer when it came to exams but if you're really interested in the subjects you've taken then you won't find the work too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    There is no gap - it's a step down, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I would say so (atleast with my subj'z excluding maths)- simply because in GCSE I learnt most of the stuff in class and brushed up at home.. in A levels, complete opposite because there's a lot of depth and not enough time for the teacher to dwell, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    the gap was undeniably large, like the content was more complex

but i didnt reely find it hard, u just have to put work in, doing homework, reading up if u dont understand or not naturallly gifted

its not too bad - much better than i expected tbh
    Same, i think in pretty much every subject there is so much more content to study but as you only do aorund four subject, i thinks it was fine to deal with. And if you worked hard in your GCSEs and carry on this way, you'll do well. Otherwise, you'll fine that you can't just blag through exams.

I suprisingly found it fine, and the perks of sixth form helped (such as free periods and cancelled lesson and a cosy common room)!!

I've heard the jump from AS to A2 is much harder, im going to be bracing myself for september!!

ReputationRep:
    The jump wasn't that big imo, if you need to be nagged and told what to do it might be a bigger jump, because at my sixth form they weren't that bothered with people that didn't try/care. I found it was just like going back after the summer holidays

ReputationRep:
    It depends. If you're naturally good at your subjects then there's a good chance that in many ways you'll find AS easier. Many bright kids just get bored at gcse, and when they finally encounter some interesting stuff at AS, they're more up for it and subsequently do better. You enjoy learning more at that level, especially as you're (hopefully) doing the subjects you're genuinely interested in... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Definately a big jump for maths, but I prefer doing less subjects, and because you're doing them everyday you understand them more so I think it turns out to be easier once you get into it.
    It was a bit weird for me because I changed schools for sixth form, and my old school was really really strict so it was quite nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mej)
    Same, i think in pretty much every subject there is so much more content to study but as you only do aorund four subject, i thinks it was fine to deal with. And if you worked hard in your GCSEs and carry on this way, you'll do well. Otherwise, you'll fine that you can't just blag through exams.

I suprisingly found it fine, and the perks of sixth form helped (such as free periods and cancelled lesson and a cosy common room)!!

I've heard the jump from AS to A2 is much harder, im going to be bracing myself for september!!

oh yeah, i did 5 subjects, forst two months i was shattered

then i stopped doing work at home and used my free and study periods ti the max
    if they werent there i might have failed

and dreading A2 aswell, especially with A*, i have to get at least one

p.s: applying to two of the uni's i'm putting down - UCL & Imperial

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.