Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...about their religion being connected to Freemasonry?

Examples,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Rite

http://www.philipcoppens.com/stedmunds.html

This is not a theology issue, btw (although permission is granted to those who undertake to offer a theological explanation...? )

After living in Wigan for about two months now, I have barely got used to walking by a Christian church decorated with masonic symbolism. Right across where I live (my friend's flat) there is a Zionist Church, with obvious masonic symbolism including the memorable t-square set in stone, and an all-seeing eye, which is most definately associated with Osiris/Horus, in Egyptian religion, like this one (scroll down untill you see the pyramid and eye) :

http://random-mk.blogspot.com/2009/0...church-of.html

As well as a local masonic hall just some 500 yards from Tesco there are numerous Christian churches including a Jewish Church (perhaps for Jehovah's Witnesses) hall located out of the way, beside a car park.

What do Christians make of this? I ask because whenever I ask Wigan-folk they haven't a clue what all this is about. They know that there is a Masonic church (two in fact!) in the area, yet they don't know what happens there.

ReputationRep:
    I like your signature.

"O, how wonderfully acted Providence that on that day on which that Sun was born, Christ should be born" - is this referring to his birth date appropriating that of the Sun-god Mithras? If it is, it makes me lol (:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do you even know what happens at Masonic meetings? I doubt it. It's all one big conspiracy you see. Rah has re-incarnated himself into the Grand Master who is in hiding in a Wigan backstreet Church behind Tesco, waiting for the next General Election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    I like your signature.

"O, how wonderfully acted Providence that on that day on which that Sun was born, Christ should be born" - is this referring to his birth date appropriating that of the Sun-god Mithras? If it is, it makes me lol (:
    In Cyprian's time perhaps, or it could be the god Shamash.

The sun was associated with the god Shamash, and you can see this underneath the Vatican catacombs, where there is a stone-painting on a wall; a representation of what appears to be Jesus as the god Shamash, the sun-god. The likeness of Jesus to the god Shamash is striking to say the least.

Although one might state that Cyprian was not referring to any pagan god, but just the birth of the sun as it appeared above the Horizon and was thus born (after three days in which the sun appears to remain stationary - the sun does indeed stop motion for three days and then makes its ascent after the 25th of December) at the winter solstice traditionally, from the 21st to the 25th of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Do you even know what happens at Masonic meetings?
    They open the Bible and sing hymns?

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    They open the Bible and sing hymns?

Something like that
    :shh:

Of note, that Rochdale Church looks fascinating architecturally; I wonder if I can get there somehow, sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Something like that
    :shh:

Of note, that Rochdale Church looks fascinating architecturally; I wonder if I can get there somehow, sometime.
    I know of a certain distinguished individual by the name of Gabriel who can give you a lift there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.