Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Missing the point there dude.

It's about reflecting on what humanity is capable of and remembering the devastating and perverse power that we hold. The atomic bombs dropped on Japan could very well be the prelude to our own deaths, or the destruction of humanity as we recognise it.
    I like that my young girl but preludes are merely foreshadowing what can happen and as we know that the future is a question why do they hold such strenght in believing that the future is a string of destruction emphasized by previous bombings and thinking that it is inevitable for ww3 not to come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAILINGKID)
    how did hiroshima save lives... i mean 66k died O.O right? umm i know my response wasn't reasonable but that russian bomb was a test... i am deeply saddened by the hiroshima deaths... but they are in a much better place now :cool:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Hiroshima at all. But, numerically speaking, one of the justifications of the bombs was that more lives would be lost in a full scale military war. The bomb brought a quick surrender out of Japan. Sources claim that saved lives.

ReputationRep:
    Would people be so in favour of the nuclear bomb ending WW2 early if the Germans, or the Japanese had got it first, and the two cities destroyed were not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but London and New York? I wonder if people would be quite so quick to justify it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Hiroshima at all. But, numerically speaking, one of the justifications of the bombs was that more lives would be lost in a full scale military war. The bomb brought a quick surrender out of Japan. Sources claim that saved lives.
    umm yeah that actually makes sense o.O

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I lack a more overall perspective, but I don't think nuclear bombs are a reasonable method of attack. The fact is, the deaths were indiscriminate - children, women, the elderly, pacifists - and the pain caused by left over radiation was also indiscriminate. It is far more horrific than war, and I'm sceptical of people who claim there was no other way around the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    Would people be so in favour of the nuclear bomb ending WW2 early if the Germans, or the Japanese had got it first, and the two cities destroyed were not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but London and New York? I wonder if people would be quite so quick to justify it then.
    Touché.

ReputationRep:
    THE AFTER PICTURES ARE VISUALLY
    EXTRAORDINARY HIROSHIMA 64 YRS LATER...

Hiroshima, Nagasaki

We all know that Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    were destroyed in August 1945 after explosion
    of atomic bombs.
    However we know little about the progress
    made by the people of that land during the
    past 62 years

AND NOW

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

THE COLORFUL CITY

OF HIROSHIMA

ReputationRep:
    OK, the attacks were indiscriminate against civilians but Japan at this time was a fanatical country that was not just about to unconditionally surrender to the Allied forces. You have to remember that Japan was approaching a state of famine in 1945 with the average calorie intake dropping in spring 1945 to 1600 calories/person/day and would inevitably continue to decline during any invasion leading to hundreds of thousands if not millions of deaths resulting from Japan not receiving food aid from the US like it did following the surrender in August. Japan was also being heavily fire bombed by B-29's, on one raid in March 1945, 279 planes dropped 1700 tons of bombs killing an estimated 100,000 people, rinse & repeat and you end up with a far greater destruction than that of the atomic bombings.

By the time any invasion could have been possible Japan had 65 divisions stationed over the home islands, sure they did lack ammunition and the like but that could still pose a significant threat to the invading forces. Along side of this they were organising a 'Home Guard' like force alled the Volunteer fighting Corps. Even retaking a relatively small island such as Okinawa total deaths were in the 100's of thousands with casualties much more

Operation Downfall, the overall name for the invasions of the home islands would have been the largest amphibious landing by far in history. It would of consisted of 2 main operations, Coronet and Olympic planned to be carried out in November and March. The latter would involve landing twice the number of troops as on D-day. Estimates for the total cost to American lives from the Joint Chiefs of Staff were for almost 300,000 dead with over a million casualties. Some estimates go even higher. Civilian casualties could be upwards of 5 million if, like the population was being trained to do, the general population fought against the invaders. There was also serious discussion over the use of tactical nuclear weapons in any invasion.

Also, these bombings showed the world what the effects of using these weapons would be. In my view if they had not used them then a few years down the line another war would of broken out, but this time with dozens of much more powerful bombs around we could see much greater destruction and loss of life.

(Original post by croissantfever)
    I'm sure people in this event (presumably the war winning) axis countries would see it exactly how we see the bombing of Japan, as necessary to finish the war. The history of war is always written by the victors.

tldr: I think it was worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.