Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It has been reported in the media that there is concern about the quality of degrees in the UK universities. There has been a gradual increase in the percentage of 2.1 and 1 honours classification and this grade inflation could be due to more generous marking and dumbing down of standards. Already students in several universities (Bristol, Manchester to name a few) are up in arms about contact time and exam time allocation. Is quality being sacrificed in order to make it easier for the fee paying non EU foreign student to gain a qualification? So would a university in the UK dare fail a foreign student for fear of losing fee income? I suspect not! :mad: I don't think its right that we should be reliant of foreign student fee income particularly so as they displace more deserving home students of tertiary level education.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Fun times.

Almost a good attempt at trolling, though.

ReputationRep:
    did the daily mail report it lol

I doubt that they are gonna let a forgein student pass just because they are paying for it. where else are uni expected to get extra money from. The person who wrote the article or reported it probably hasnt been to uni lately and doesnt know how hard or easy it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Fun times.

Almost a good attempt at trolling, though.
    Fairy!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, the media do love their scandals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    It has been reported in the media that there is concern about the quality of degrees in the UK universities. There has been a gradual increase in the percentage of 2.1 and 1 honours classification and this grade inflation could be due to more generous marking and dumbing down of standards. Already students in several universities (Bristol, Manchester to name a few) are up in arms about contact time and exam time allocation. Is quality being sacrificed in order to make it easier for the fee paying non EU foreign student to gain a qualification? So would a university in the UK dare fail a foreign student for fear of losing fee income? I suspect not! I don't think its right that we should be reliant of foreign student fee income particularly so as they displace more deserving home students of tertiary level education.
    I don't think that Universities would pass a student just because he's paying international fees. I'm not even sure if the markers have access to such information.

Also, if the Universities aren't to gain funding from international students, who else will pay them? Do you think research is done for free?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is absolutely clear that the university education in this country has got easier over the years. Where I was a lot of modules which were second year got moved to third year, and third year got moved to fourth year over the last 20 years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the content and questions are easier as well.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there are grad entry jobs, a degree is still worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.