Turn on thread page Beta

Does this mean I should dump him? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for 10ish months. We both study medicine at Uni, both in the same groups and all our friends are in common. Basically living out of each other's pockets.
    Since about May, and I blame this on exams, but I started jsut avoiding him a bit because I honestly could not be arsed spending any time with him.
    We went on separate holidays and while he was like ''I miss you!'' I was llike ''yeah.. i miss you too, a little bit'', when actually I was quite glad for the time.
    Now we are both away again, haven't seen him in 4 weeks. We are actually on skype right now, but I can't even be bothered having a conversation - got nothing to say.
    On my travels, I've met lads who've tried it on with me and its taken alot of willpower to say no sometimes. I'd never cheat on him, but a small bit of temptation is always there!

I've never had a proper relationship like this before, so I don't know if some of these feelings are ''normal'', or whether it is just a ''phase''?
    I know that he is so good to me, I'm doubtful if I'll ever meet a lad as good as him or someone to get along with better, but these feelings I've had concern me.

Any advice/similar situations?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, I'd say it could just be a phase. Maybe spending time apart has made it this way. Spend a bit more time together and see how thinsg go. If you still don't feel very strongly about him then tell him that but I'd say leave it abit longer especially if he's a nice guy

ReputationRep:
    You may think this is a once in a life time sort of guy. But in the end it doesn't sound like you want to be in a long-term relationship. The begining is great when it's all new, but all relationships get into a comfortable rut after a while.

Personally I think you aren't at a stage in your life where you are ready for this, and therefore you're ony gonna end up either hurting him, or ending up despising him. It doesn't sound nice but that's what I think.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem...

You're the doc :p:

ReputationRep:
    You do need time on your own. Just as much as us guys need "Man time" - be it playing with our cars or having a few beers with the guys I'm sure you girls need "girly time" too.

I'm sure my g/f wouldn't want to spend every waking hour with me either and neither would I expect her to.

ReputationRep:
    I think you guys are basically suffocating each other. You're not even married yet you see so much of each other. The fact that you have the same circle of friends doesn't help either. It doesn't mean you should dump him, you're feeling this way because you've had a period of time where you haven't seen so much of him and you're not used to it. You both probably need to have more 'me' time.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt sound normal at all to me. I was with someone for almost 5 years and never felt like that. We had the same circle of friends, did the same options at school and A-level so were with each other all day everyday for the first few years. Of course you need your space, but not 4 weeks worth and more. Perhaps thats just my experience but I wouldnt say that was a good sign after only 10 months.

Needing space is normal, but 4 weeks apart, you have nothing to say and not being bothered to talk to him whilst being tempted by other guys are definate break up signs to me.

ReputationRep:
    its an itch.

my mate dumped her bf after getting these feelings and she soooo regretted it, they're back together now after she basically had to beg him to take her back because she realised she loved him too much x

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like the excitement's gone for you. I think you should dump him, there's no point being with him if you don't want to see him, and it's not exactly fair on him if he thinks you're still into him when you're clearly not. Move on and find a relationship with a guy you actually like talking to.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to spend time with someone it could mean that you don't really match anymore, everyone is constantly changing as a person and when you both met each other you were at the same place at the same time, and now you've moved away from each other. If you're not being honest about your feelings for him then the relationship probably isn't going to last, especially now that the more he shows how he feels about you the more it drives you away and the only two answers most people have for this is to cheat or to break up, and it's much healthier for everyone involved to break up.

ReputationRep:
    You don't really seem to have a strong relationship right now at all; you're not even talking to him or meeting up with him. If you don't want to date him anymore, be honest with him and yourself; there's no point in staying in this relationship anymore if you don't want to and if you want to go out with other guys without feeling guilty about it.

ReputationRep:
    We all have times when we don't feel as in 'love' (or in 'like') as much as we feel we should, I certainly felt this way when I was stressed about work 2 months ago. But unlike you, it quickly dissipated as soon as exams were over and everything was back to normal, and better. I know in hindsight, that was just a phase.

However, May was 3 months ago, you have no other burdens in your life right now... and you still feel this way, I wouldn't say it's a good sign. It does seem like you are just bored of this relationship. For me, even when I was in that phase, I still wanted my boyfriend to be around most of the time, and I'd quickly miss him if he wasn't. Like you, we generally spend 20/24 hours together a day, and it hasn't had a negative impact on our relationship.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.