Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the vote be given to 16 year olds? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was having a debate earlier with a friend and she believed that young people under the age of 16 should vote. She mostly used the tax argument (that people who pay tax should be allowed to decide where their money goes) to justify her choice. I would like to know your own opinions. Do you believe this statement is right and if so , why? Personally, I believe not yet I would like to hear your opinions and justifications before I voice my own.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, because the majority of people at 16 are immature little *****

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should. For this reason:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people at 18 barely have a clue about politics or the way they want the country run, why should 16 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    This. Actually most 18 year olds that I know are too immature as well.

ReputationRep:
    No, I know from direct proof that most of my friends are either not into politics or would vote for someone because they like their glasses or 'lulz0rs better education, if y' say so'. Basically, most are lacking in knowledge and interest to make a wise choice.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't. In my experience, very few 16 year olds are capable of making an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    We have it on the Island at 16, but I don't know anybody who has chosen to vote at 16, I'm assuming it would for the most part be the same if it was given to 16 year olds in the UK

ReputationRep:
    All of the immature ones wont bother, and those who have political interest can then rightfully express their opinion through a vote that they have earned as citizens effected by many many british policies and laws.

x

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone watch the show on the issue on BBC 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    Did anyone watch the show on the issue on BBC 3?
    Didn't even know it was on :p: . Wish I had though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Didn't even know it was on :p: . Wish I had though.
    It's on the iPlayer if you are interested.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should be allowed to. My younger brother is 16 and doesn't have a clue about politics. I don't think he even likes a party. So who would he vote for?

Leave the voting age at 18.

ReputationRep:
    At 16 I said yes. I wanted it so bad. And the truth is I was more clued up than most adults. But I can't speak on behalf of my peers and for that reason, at 17 I say no. Young people will vote for the hell of it. A more mature person would take it seriously or not bother.

ReputationRep:
    This.

Whilst many people we come across on TSR may have a very solid base for their political opinions, the vast majority of 16 year olds are "immature *****," as WhySoSerious? puts it. Many people I know have extremist views purely to show their manifest nonconformism to society and to make a social statement. The vast majority of the other 16 year olds would simply vote for the candidate their parents vote for. Sometimes even if they have opposing views, because they live with their parents and probably wouldn't want to argue against their views.

18 year olds are legally independent and the majority, I assume, live alone and can do whatever they (legally) want to.

ReputationRep:
    16 yo lack interest and sanity to be voting.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm 16 and, like most of my friends, have no interest in politics so I wouldn't vote anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I think if 16 year olds want to vote they should take some sort of test to determine whether they are politically aware etc so you dont get a whole bunch of chavs doing it for a laugh.
    I was aware enough at 16 (taking A level politics) and would have loved the chance to vote - if there was the choice/an election :p:

ReputationRep:
    But 16 year olds contribute tax money, so why don't they get a say in where it's spent?

ReputationRep:
    I want to say yes because I'm clued up about politics, but have to say no because of the other 16-18 year olds that would all end up voting for the LOLz. At least at 18 the majority is more mature and those that don't care won't even be bothered to vote. They'll just complain about the government instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.