Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_91)
    i say no, cos when i was in school i was immature and would have voted for BNP anyday, as would most of my mates, yet now im more mature and want to look into what the parties actually stand for before voting when i turn 18.

just would use the vote to screw up society and to rebel aginst those who try to give them informed choices...
    If you weren't interested in politics then, would you really have bothered to go through the registration process just to have a laugh and vote BNP etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    I don't think it's unreasonable to reserve voting for adults only.

I know people's maturity is not necessarily the same thing as their age, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Exactly, but our argument is that the line should be drawn at 16 not 18 when you can work full time, thus start paying tax to a government you have no hand in electing.

ReputationRep:
    No, for a multitude of reasons which also apply to those that are eligible to vote now. Just stick it out until you're 18 when you should've developed some sort of political stance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_91)
    i say no, cos when i was in school i was immature and would have voted for BNP anyday, as would most of my mates, yet now im more mature and want to look into what the parties actually stand for before voting when i turn 18.

just would use the vote to screw up society and to rebel aginst those who try to give them informed choices...
    I think I'm going to start sounding like a broken record, so apologies in advance. Just because you at sixteen would have voted to 'screw up society'; why should other sixteen year olds who want to vote seriously be denied? Yes, maybe some people will just do it for a laugh (although it is by no means the vast majority people on this thread seems to believe), but the same could be said for any age at all. It doesn't mean sixteen year olds should be denied the vote.

And yes, I'm pretty much paraphrasing dannymmc here, but he makes a good point :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccs)
    If you weren't interested in politics then, would you really have bothered to go through the registration process just to have a laugh and vote BNP etc?
    when i was 16 i thought i was really big and knew everything and in voting this way i would sort out the country i thought couldn't fuction how i wanted...this i know now was a stupid mentallity and im glad i didn't have te oppertunity to do somthing like that

so yer i would have...

if somebody at 16 would vote properly, then waiting two years will only give them the ability to think through the decision and to ensure they know they are voting how they truely feel the country should be run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    A lot of people at 18 barely have a clue about politics or the way they want the country run, why should 16 year olds?
    Exactly, and certain 16 year olds may be in a better position to make a decision about which party to support than some 40 year olds, so it's hard to generalise that argument that they're immature. I'm for 16 year olds being given the vote. They can have jobs and have to pay tax, so they should have a hand in deciding how it's spent.
    However, if 17 and 18 year olds will be stuck in school til they're 18, then that's kind of a moot point for the future unless they can still work and pay tax. I'm not sure how the education system will work for this age group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    I would say so, but now that education will now be compulsory until the age of 18 anyway, then there might be less point (based on the argument that if they can go out to full-time work, then they would be paying tax and therefore should vote for the reason that they could decide what is done with their money).

But... I really feel there is a lack of "political" education anyway. Half the political discussions you hear in the average pub are so cringeworthy I really resent that there isn't a means of everyone gaining more political understanding before the voting age.
    To me, compulsory education to 18 is the only credible argument so far to support the voting age staying as it is. I was waiting for someone to say it...

And the second point on political education is a key one, and one which I have banged on about to friends and family many a time. The only way to encourage participation in elections, democracy etc is through establishing the importance of it in the classroom. 'Citizenship' in its current state in the majority of schools is wasted and, when I come to power haha, I would place the emphasis on this subject being about politics; explaining why it plays a role for everyone- affecting the cost of train tickets, cigarettes, alcohol (see I'd play to the audience haha), decriminalising marajuana (using another thread here lol), and explaining where National Insurance goes etc. To improve attitudes to politics we need to show people how politics affects every one of us in most aspects of our lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hello,

I was having a debate earlier with a friend and she believed that young people under the age of 16 should vote. She mostly used the tax argument (that people who pay tax should be allowed to decide where their money goes) to justify her choice. I would like to know your own opinions. Do you believe this statement is right and if so , why? Personally, I believe not yet I would like to hear your opinions and justifications before I voice my own.

Many thanks
    I know nothing about the law now at 19. 16 year olds will know less AND vote for ****** parties, like that Pirate one and the BNP for fun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hello,

I was having a debate earlier with a friend and she believed that young people under the age of 16 should vote. She mostly used the tax argument (that people who pay tax should be allowed to decide where their money goes) to justify her choice. I would like to know your own opinions. Do you believe this statement is right and if so , why? Personally, I believe not yet I would like to hear your opinions and justifications before I voice my own.

Many thanks
    Well, not sure if this is the same for anywhere else but we've already got it in the Isle of Man- don't know how many people actually use it, but we can drive, have a job/pay taxes and do the lottery, so why not? If they're immature they won't use it.

ReputationRep:
    To me, compulsory education to 18 is the only credible argument so far to support the voting age staying as it is. I was waiting for someone to say it...

And the second point on political education is a key one, and one which I have banged on about to friends and family many a time. The only way to encourage participation in elections, democracy etc is through establishing the importance of it in the classroom. 'Citizenship' in its current state in the majority of schools is wasted and, when I come to power haha, I would place the emphasis on this subject being about politics; explaining why it plays a role for everyone- affecting the cost of train tickets, cigarettes, alcohol (see I'd play to the audience haha), decriminalising marajuana (using another thread here lol), and explaining where National Insurance goes etc. To improve attitudes to politics we need to show people how politics affects every one of us in most aspects of our lives.

Can I vote for you now please? Kthx =]

For the record and to clarify, I would want the age lowered, if those two points weren't there (or the second one dealt with ^^ )

ReputationRep:
    The taxation argument just doesn't work a 8 year old child goes to the shop and buys a packet of crisps, a bottle of coke and some sweets. He pays Value Added Tax on all these products. Does he deserve the vote becuase he should decide where his tax goes ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Exactly, and certain 16 year olds may be in a better position to make a decision about which party to support than some 40 year olds, so it's hard to generalise that argument that they're immature. I'm for 16 year olds being given the vote. They can have jobs and have to pay tax, so they should have a hand in deciding how it's spent.
    However, if 17 and 18 year olds will be stuck in school til they're 18, then that's kind of a moot point for the future unless they can still work and pay tax. I'm not sure how the education system will work for this age group.
    Nah. 16 year olds don't care and are more guilliable. You need a cut off point for voting, which is 18...

"I'm for 16 year olds being given the vote. They can have jobs and have to pay tax, so they should have a hand in deciding how it's spent. "

Er, I only got a job this summer at 19. 40 year olds pay a lot more tax and know more about politics. EMA? Beats the purpose of tax by 16 year olds anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I know nothing about the law now at 19. 16 year olds will know less AND vote for ****** parties, like that Pirate one and the BNP for fun...
    There is actually no evidence of this at all. In the Isle of Man, where voting is legal at sixteen, it has only been a positive move and there has been no rise in 'extremist' voting. Adults vote for the BNP and the Pirate party (which is actually the third largest party in Sweden), that's why they exist. Adults actually founded them, so clearly it isn't something only 'the youth' would do.

Surely the fact that there is a movement for votes at sixteen proves that young people are taking this seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you know nothing doesn't mean that others won't either. Some 16/17 year olds have a huge deal of knowledge about politics or the law as you put it; it is this idea of some which is important- the voting system isn't compulsory, those who want to use it at that age will do so and those who don't care, won't. Simple as that. Yes, there will be a handful of people who vote for the Pirate one and the BNP for fun- but realistically it's going to be a ridiculously small number of people. Most likely, the same number of people who 'vote for fun' at the age of 18.

I feel we're going round in circles here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustCallMeKate)
    There is actually no evidence of this at all. In the Isle of Man, where voting is legal at sixteen, it has only been a positive move and there has been no rise in 'extremist' voting. Adults vote for the BNP and the Pirate party (which is actually the third largest party in Sweden), that's why they exist. Adults actually founded them, so clearly it isn't something only 'the youth' would do.

Surely the fact that there is a movement for votes at sixteen proves that young people are taking this seriously.
    In my personal experience of going to a chavvy school, I only found out what the UKIP stood for. This year. But good points

ReputationRep:
    Just because you know nothing doesn't mean that others won't either. Some 16/17 year olds have a huge deal of knowledge about politics or the law as you put it; it is this idea of some which is important- the voting system isn't compulsory, those who want to use it at that age will do so and those who don't care, won't. Simple as that. Yes, there will be a handful of people who vote for the Pirate one and the BNP for fun- but realistically it's going to be a ridiculously small number of people. Most likely, the same number of people who 'vote for fun' at the age of 18.

Same.

Do you think people just aren't reading the thread through or that they think if one more person claims to be ignorant at sixteen we'll finally see the light? :p:

ReputationRep:

Then politics should be taught in the schooling system for everyone... otherwise you'll still be blind in who to vote for. You could say the same thing for 14 year olds...

ReputationRep:

Yep. Remember that 17 year olds can have full A-levels in politics and law and are probably dying to vote. The 16 year olds who don't care won't vote at all.

ReputationRep:
    In my personal experience of going to a chavvy school, I only found out what the UKIP stood for. This year. But good points
    Thanks

Still, surely it would be fair to say that your personal experience of a 'chavvy school' isn't exactly representative of sixteen year olds in the whole of the UK? Plus, even if it was, even if most sixteen year olds are like this, it's hardly fair to deny the people who want to vote seriously for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but the 16 year olds will vote for David Cameron as he is down with the kids.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.