Turn on thread page Beta

Should the vote be given to 16 year olds? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If they pay tax, can get married and fight for their country then hell yes they should be able to vote.

And to the argument about being immature and clueless about politics:

Well so are most adults when it comes to politics a lot don't have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good thing 16 year olds pay tax before they get the vote. It means they'll take an interest in how their taxes are spent and can then make a more educated decision by the time they reach 18 and can vote. Waiting for 2 years isn't the end of the world, most legislation takes years to come into force anyway. The 2 year wait gives people time to think what they want through and would probably lead to less volatile voting for extremist parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I think it's a good thing 16 year olds pay tax before they get the vote. It means they'll take an interest in how their taxes are spent and can then make a more educated decision by the time they reach 18 and can vote. Waiting for 2 years isn't the end of the world, most legislation takes years to come into force anyway. The 2 year wait gives people time to think what they want through and would probably lead to less volatile voting for extremist parties.
    And is that how it happens in practice at the moment? 16 year olds who don't care about politics work for two years and have suddenly established a strong interest? Creating interest in politics can't be done by there simply being an 'interim' voter period- it has to be done through the classroom and publicising the importance of politics through the media etc. The point of lowering the voting age is to give the vote to people who already care about politics who are of the age to begin full time work and pay income tax etc.

The point of 'waiting 2 years isn't the end of the world' is frankly irrelevant- if a person deserves the vote they should have it. Exactly how long a wait 'isn't the end of the world?'

And 'most legislation takes years to come into effect' is also a disconnected point. What I'm debating is that 16/17 year olds should be able to play a role in electing/opposing a government which creates legislation- regardless of how long it takes to come into effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustCallMeKate)
    If that were true, why would there even be a campaign to give votes to sixteen year olds?

Moreover, the relative ignorance of sixteen year olds has been debated to death in this thread. Even if a minority wanted to vote, how is it right to deny them this because of a 'oh, yeah, kids these days don't know anything about politics' mentality?
    True. And to be fair, I'm sure there are alot of people 18+ and even 30,40,50+ who have no idea about politics but are still able to vote. I suppose it is a fair argument that 16 year olds should have the right to vote. Also, if a person is to immature to vote or has no knowledge about politics at the voting age, the likelihood of them voting is slim, so there is no risk.

I'm 18 and voted for the first time at the European Parliamentary Elections. I have a basic knowledge of politics and the policies of each party and my support for my party is strong. Alot of people my age chose not to vote at all, because of their lack of knowledge/interest. Others, like me voted for their respective party. BUT I do know of people that voted BNP, simply because they are "sick of the bloody Polish". That is the issue that I see here. SOME people are voting the BNP because they're sick of immigration into the UK, but in reality, they have a very small knowledge of the BNP's actual policies.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I realise I'm 16, so I'm biased but if we can legally have sex and children, why shouldn't we have a say in what kind of country our children grow up in? Ok, not all 16 year olds have a big interest in politics, but then there are plenty of 60 year olds who just vote for the same people they have for years, without looking to see if their policies have changed at all.

ReputationRep:
    If you're old enough to leave home, get a full time job, join the army and pay tax, then you're old enough to vote.

In my experience most 18 year olds know **** all anyway about politics. It's not a good argument to say we should take the vote away from people because they're not well informed. Plenty of 16 year olds are, why should they lose the vote based on their peers?

ReputationRep:
    I care little for the immaturity argument in sixteen year olds being given the vote. I've seen plenty of eighteen year olds as idiots (quite a few at university), even those who are twenty-one, so the finger pointing by eighteen year olds can stop.

No tax without representation. The Government still hasn't learnt its lesson in the past with America. Political participation need not be exclusive to the General Election as the youth participation in the Iraq War demonstrators showed. That said, I'd have complete sympathy to youngsters who would not vote anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Why are 18-year olds any better?

I think 16 is a bit too young to vote. People at that age are even less sensible than they are at 18.

And I bet the BNP's vote would increase.
    Raise the voting age to 21 then? Too many delinquent eighteen year olds who feel obliged to fill themselves up with alcohol and puke on the streets. See where this goes. It's always amusing to hear people aged 18/19 claiming that 15/16 year olds are just kids when I'm 21+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Raise the voting age to 21 then? Too many delinquent eighteen year olds who feel obliged to fill themselves up with alcohol and puke on the streets. See where this goes. It's always amusing to hear people aged 18/19 claiming that 15/16 year olds are just kids when I'm 21+.
    Well, there is a difference. And we have to learn some time, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Well, there is a difference. And we have to learn some time, no?
    What difference? Two years? Sixteen year olds have the right to have children and pay tax (national insurance is a tax by definition). I'd imagine being a parent is a bigger responsibility in life than being granted the right to vote in a country that uses first-past-the-post where lots of votes are wasted. I just find it convenient that a select bunch of eighteen year olds who are too readily to criticise a whole age category being immature when I've come across plenty of eighteen year olds who ruin themselves or disturb others over alcohol. My university has students that dominate the small city, Durham, and every evening I can hear the pissheads. It's as if they've never had alcohol before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    because theyre still tax payers.... i know lots of people at 16 who have started working and are paying tax yet arent able to contribute to the decision as to what the money will be spent on. the people who dont really care about it and are abit immature just wont vote, but others should be allowed the chance....
    So what? I still don't consider being a tax payer as a sole reason for being able to vote. If teh majority of people at 16, which is the case, simply aren't able to deal with the responsibility of being able to vote, then they should not have it.
    I joined a political party at 13, I knew what my party stood for and others. I never complained that I didn't have the vote, because I knew that almost everyone I knew at my age didn't know. Even when I paid tax I didn't. Voting really should remain the preserve of 'adulthood'. These children have the next 50-60 years to vote, they can wait another 2 years until they're a bit more mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    Voting really should remain the preserve of 'adulthood'. These children have the next 50-60 years to vote, they can wait another 2 years until they're a bit more mature.
    When does adulthood start then? Twenty-one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    When does adulthood start then? Twenty-one?
    18, I don't think there are any regulations anymore which prevent anyone at 18 doing something which a 21 year old can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    18, I don't think there are any regulations anymore which prevent anyone at 18 doing something which a 21 year old can do.
    There are a few actually, so if you're going to judge adulthood to be on age-based criterion then eighteen is not it. You can't ride a motorbike above 1000cc (but you can win the lottery and buy a Ferrari, or join the army and drive a tank), have a mortgage or become a peer/MP until you're twenty-one. There might be a few others I've not heard of.

ReputationRep:
    considering that far to many people at 16 still think our prime minister is either Blair or now Obama..no.

ReputationRep:
    If we give the vote to 16 year olds - what will prevent 15 year olds using the same argument, and so on and so forth!

You wouldn't want the vote to go to 10 year olds now, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    If we give the vote to 16 year olds - what will prevent 15 year olds using the same argument, and so on and so forth!

You wouldn't want the vote to go to 10 year olds now, would you?
    At sixteen you are legally able to leave school and go into full-time work, therefore paying income tax. You are also allowed to join the army, get married and have a kid. That's why people think you should also be allowed to vote at sixteen. Fifteen year olds can't do any of the above mentioned things and so they most certainly couldn't use 'the same argument'.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that everyone should be allowed to vote, immature or not, everyone will be living under the same roof for 4 years, they should at least be able to vote for who they want, regardless of their age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustCallMeKate)
    At sixteen you are legally able to leave school and go into full-time work, therefore paying income tax. You are also allowed to join the army, get married and have a kid. That's why people think you should also be allowed to vote at sixteen. Fifteen year olds can't do any of the above mentioned things and so they most certainly couldn't use 'the same argument'.
    Still going strong I see haha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccs)
    Still going strong I see haha...
    lol, I clearly can't help myself. Still, I think simply copying and pasting the same answer I've given to everyone would save me some trouble :p:

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.