Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have a big chip/ crack on my windscreen. The two of them are about the size of a 5p piece but have a crack connecting them. I dont know when it happened as I cant see it as its behind the mirror. Overall its bigger than a £2 coin as seen in Autoglass website, so it means I need a new windscreen.
    Im fully comp, so would i lose my NCB? As if so Id rather get it changed without insurance. Also a bit confused, so would I have to phone insurance company first or just go through autoglass- Im with RoyalSunAlliance BTW. Windscreen excess £60

(Im sure this has come up before but seached the forum but nothing came up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun!)
    Basically I have a big chip/ crack on my windscreen. The two of them are about the size of a 5p piece but have a crack connecting them. I dont know when it happened as I cant see it as its behind the mirror. Overall its bigger than a £2 coin as seen in Autoglass website, so it means I need a new windscreen.
    Im fully comp, so would i lose my NCB? As if so Id rather get it changed without insurance. Also a bit confused, so would I have to phone insurance company first or just go through autoglass- Im with RoyalSunAlliance BTW. Windscreen excess £60

(Im sure this has come up before but seached the forum but nothing came up)
    I'd certainly just go through autoglass. The chip/crack has been caused through normal driving and is something that is fairly common, so I see no reason your insurance would need to hear about it. You don't tell your insurance when you get your brake pads replaced, or when your suspension breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Yep but wont it cost loads of money not to do it on the insurance? £60 is much better than a few hundred. Im just worried about the NCB as it will probably worth more than the windscren cost.

ReputationRep:
    On every insurance policy I've ever had, claiming for glass does not mean you lose your NCB. You just pay the £60 excess you mention and your NCB remains intact. This was the case when my car was insured TPFT and broken into, so I would assume it would also be the case with your fully comp insurance. Just phone your insurance company and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    I had my whole windscreen replaced for less than £100, so it isn't too expensive at all. But no, you don't loose your NCB with most policies, although you will have to pay excess.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to pay the excess you mention but your NCB remains intact, as stated

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 6, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.