Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have a big chip/ crack on my windscreen. The two of them are about the size of a 5p piece but have a crack connecting them. I dont know when it happened as I cant see it as its behind the mirror. Overall its bigger than a £2 coin as seen in Autoglass website, so it means I need a new windscreen.
    Im fully comp, so would i lose my NCB? As if so Id rather get it changed without insurance. Also a bit confused, so would I have to phone insurance company first or just go through autoglass- Im with RoyalSunAlliance BTW. Windscreen excess £60

(Im sure this has come up before but seached the forum but nothing came up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun!)
    Basically I have a big chip/ crack on my windscreen. The two of them are about the size of a 5p piece but have a crack connecting them. I dont know when it happened as I cant see it as its behind the mirror. Overall its bigger than a £2 coin as seen in Autoglass website, so it means I need a new windscreen.
    Im fully comp, so would i lose my NCB? As if so Id rather get it changed without insurance. Also a bit confused, so would I have to phone insurance company first or just go through autoglass- Im with RoyalSunAlliance BTW. Windscreen excess £60

(Im sure this has come up before but seached the forum but nothing came up)
    I'd certainly just go through autoglass. The chip/crack has been caused through normal driving and is something that is fairly common, so I see no reason your insurance would need to hear about it. You don't tell your insurance when you get your brake pads replaced, or when your suspension breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Yep but wont it cost loads of money not to do it on the insurance? £60 is much better than a few hundred. Im just worried about the NCB as it will probably worth more than the windscren cost.

ReputationRep:
    On every insurance policy I've ever had, claiming for glass does not mean you lose your NCB. You just pay the £60 excess you mention and your NCB remains intact. This was the case when my car was insured TPFT and broken into, so I would assume it would also be the case with your fully comp insurance. Just phone your insurance company and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    I had my whole windscreen replaced for less than £100, so it isn't too expensive at all. But no, you don't loose your NCB with most policies, although you will have to pay excess.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to pay the excess you mention but your NCB remains intact, as stated

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.