Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    So I was just tying up my CV, upping my GCSE grades slightly and a random thought came to me.. even though it makes no difference because Im in my 2nd year at uni... but does UCAS ever actually check what a-level grades you have? Just wondering because I know you can embellish slightly on a CV but is it the same for school type places?
    Although if you can Im blatantly going to consider dropping out and applying for oxford :p:

ReputationRep:
    dont lie on your cv

also, check for spelling & grammatical errors

ReputationRep:
    Not random.

And your school is meant to check that your UCAS form is filled in correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcake♥)
    Hello
    So I was just tying up my CV, upping my GCSE grades slightly and a random thought came to me.. even though it makes no difference because Im in my 2nd year at uni... but does UCAS ever actually check what a-level grades you have? Just wondering because I know you can embellish slightly on a CV but is it the same for school type places?
    Although if you can Im blatantly going to consider dropping out and applying for oxford :p:
    I'm not sure about UCAS, but universities certainly can check, and do (I had to send my certificates off as evidence) - it's not worth jeopardising a place over! I strongly suggest you don't lie at all on your CV either - if you're found out, an employer would have every right to dismiss you pretty much immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    dont lie on your cv

also, check for spelling & grammatical errors
    Helpful.

Only applying for part time jobs, I dont think river island will be wanting to see my GCSE certificates

ReputationRep:
    Helpful.

Only applying for part time jobs, I dont think river island will be wanting to see my GCSE certificates

dosnt matter who youre applying to, or what youre applying for

you do not lie on your cv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'm not sure about UCAS, but universities certainly can check, and do (I had to send my certificates off as evidence) - it's not worth jeopardising a place over! I strongly suggest you don't lie at all on your CV either - if you're found out, an employer would have every right to dismiss you pretty much immediately.
    You had to send off your certificates? Bad times... no one I know that went to uni had to send theirs off.. same when leaving school to do A-levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    dosnt matter who youre applying to, or what youre applying for

you do not lie on your cv
    Well I do, and have done before. Wouldnt risk it if I was going for a full time job or one that required any specific qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    You're a gambler, you. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    You had to send off your certificates? Bad times... no one I know that went to uni had to send theirs off.. same when leaving school to do A-levels!

the results are all delivered to UCAS etc electronically now

ReputationRep:
    UCAS transfer your A level grades from the college to University don't they (or from the exam boards > Uni)

Whether they keep this data is an accessible format is another thing.

You may be asked to provide certificates for any jobs you apply to do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of jobs ask to see you're certificates so I would suggest not lying
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Helpful.

River Island don't care about your GCSE or A level results either, so you are lying for the sake of lying.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a really easy to work out? If UCAS update track on results day then obviously they must know what grades you have got. So they must have some sort of way to get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    River Island don't care about your GCSE or A level results either, so you are lying for the sake of lying.
    Well I havent changed my A-level grades, they're quite good. I just got crappy GCSE's so it improves the look of the CV.

(Original post by Econight)
    Isn't this a really easy to work out? If UCAS update track on results day then obviously they must know what grades you have got. So they must have some sort of way to get them.
    Not really, assuming you werent going straight from 6th form to uni that is!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Well I havent changed my A-level grades, they're quite good. I just got crappy GCSE's so it improves the look of the CV.
    No it doesn't. It would improve the look of your CV if you took out irrelevant information and made the relevant stuff easier to read. All your GCSEs should say is

8 GCSEs including English and maths.

Any more than that and you are wasting the reader's time.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt UCAS would look, but the unis probably would :yep:, so I wouldn't risk it.

Also, don't lie on your CV. Sure, everyone makes themselves appear better and a more stronger candidate for the job, however, if you lie about grades they can check and then they can fire you for providing false information .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.