Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    £6.46 or something, but that includes holiday pay. Work @ the union shop at uni, or at least I do during term time.
    that guy in your profile pic, i swear i've seen a look alike (or maybe him) on TV. Can't get the name though :mad:

ReputationRep:
    21.5k a year, just graduated this summer. dunno what that is an hour, and dont really wanna work it out

ReputationRep:
    4.77 ie minimum wage for 18-21 year olds.

at a hotel i work at.

ReputationRep:
    5.10 which i thought was minimum wage for 18yr olds??? at a bar thats part of mitchells and butlers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    that guy in your profile pic, i swear i've seen a look alike (or maybe him) on TV. Can't get the name though :mad:
    He reminds me of Paul Kaye...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing :woo:
    £20 for doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Iceland foods ltd

£6.00 per hr

I work afternoon shift at weekends, sometimes some extra weekday shifts but usually £51 a week.

ReputationRep:
    Undergraduate research opportunities programme.

8 weeks, 8 hours a day, £1440 scholarship

comes out to a measly £4.5/hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    LOL< I honestly have no idea who you mean! I've never thought he looked like anyone famous XD It deffo wouldn't have been him on tv, unless he has some kind of alter ego lol.

ReputationRep:
    Dunnes. €9.48/€14.22 Sundays/bank holidays. 40 hour weeks, 18ish term time.

ReputationRep:
    £20 p/h private music teaching
    £21 p/h (roughly) music teaching in schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Ok, saw this, but thought it would be useful to expand for any job or wotnot. To see who's stingiest, like.

So... State your EMPLOYER and your HOURLY RATE. I'll go first.

- Rowland's Pharmacy
    - £4.50 per hour (I think)
    Awww, you're an ickle baby Your point about determining the stingiest employer, just for the record, would only work on the basis of everyone being on some sort of parity. However, because there are varying levels of minimum wage (based on your age), such parity cannot be achieved. For instance, you say you're only getting £4.50 an hour, but it'd be illegal for an employer to pay me that little because I'm a few years older than you and fall under a different age band for minimum wage. For grannies like me, employers must pay us a minimum of £5.73 p/h. If you're 18-21, employers can get away with only giving you £4.77, and if you're 16/17 and your employer's really stingy, you could get as little as £3.53.

ReputationRep:
    £4 per hour, waitering/pot washing/manual labour

Hotel

I'm 16, on the plus side, I get a free Gym Membership, Sauna and Pool!! Salrighttt, plus I'm well lazy at work, It's bad, but drag me in for a 4 hours shift with 3 hours work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Awww, you're an ickle baby Your point about determining the stingiest employer, just for the record, would only work on the basis of everyone being on some sort of parity. However, because there are varying levels of minimum wage (based on your age), such parity cannot be achieved. For instance, you say you're only getting £4.50 an hour, but it'd be illegal for an employer to pay me that little because I'm a few years older than you and fall under a different age band for minimum wage. For grannies like me, employers must pay us a minimum of £5.73 p/h. If you're 18-21, employers can get away with only giving you £4.77, and if you're 16/17 and your employer's really stingy, you could get as little as £3.53.
    Out of interest, my friend who is 16 gets paid £3 an hour, I told him it is under minimum wage, but I think given the climate he appreciates the job more then the **** wage, what can he do to sort this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    LOL< I honestly have no idea who you mean! I've never thought he looked like anyone famous XD It deffo wouldn't have been him on tv, unless he has some kind of alter ego lol.
    it's actually pissing me off now, i will find out who he looks like........ For that reason, your profile pic must never change until i do or else i will go mad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Out of interest, my friend who is 16 gets paid £3 an hour, I told him it is under minimum wage, but I think given the climate he appreciates the job more then the **** wage, what can he do to sort this??
    Ah, if he's 16, it's a teeny bit more complicated. The ruling for that age band is as follows:
    £3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

* Compulsory School Age
    In England and Wales: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the last Friday of June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.

In Scotland: pupils whose 16th birthday falls between 1 March and 30 September may not leave before the 31 May of that year. Pupils aged 16 on or between 1 October and the last day of February may not leave until the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.

In Northern Ireland: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the 30th June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.
    If he is no longer of compulsory school age, particularly if this was fairly recent, maybe he could just have a word with his employer to clarify the situation - it could be that at the time he started work he was still of compulsory school age and then at the end of June he then qualified for the minimum wage and the employer has taken a while to update the records or something. The alternative would be to make a formal complaint. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/#e

ReputationRep:
    Ah, if he's 16, it's a teeny bit more complicated. The ruling for that age band is as follows:
    If he is no longer of compulsory school age, particularly if this was fairly recent, maybe he could just have a word with his employer to clarify the situation - it could be that at the time he started work he was still of compulsory school age and then at the end of June he then qualified for the minimum wage and the employer has taken a while to update the records or something. The alternative would be to make a formal complaint. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/#e
    Blimey that is confusing, his birthday is Christmas Eve, so I imagine that means he should be on £3.53, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh kay. I realised that and was going to add a third bit, AGE, but then couldn't be asked.

PS. ickle baby needs to go to bed now. night night.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco
    just gone up to £5.69

ReputationRep:
    0! Its great. Im not expected to pay for anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.