Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When on a bulk what routine do you like to use? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Coming to end of a routine im currently doing in the next couple weeks and was wondering views on what routines people like to use for building some size...

Im currently hitting 1 body part a day, once a week, so my format would look something like:

Monday - Legs

Tuesday - Chest

Wed - Off

Thursday - Back

Friday - Shoulders/Tris/Bis

The routine before this one I had a lot of success doing a simple compound movement routine 3 times a week which comprised of doing the same thing every time I hit the gym.

Ive been thinking about a 4 day split hitting everything twice a week although been thinking my recovery may not be able to handle it?

Luke

ReputationRep:
    Strong Lifts, Westside Barbell for Skinny *******s...

Spoiler:
    Show
    or Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

And ffs, eat.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the reply, got any links for the westside mate?

ReputationRep:
    When I was body building, and bulking, I'd usually do Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and I'd do all areas. But, I would have someone spot me, and max out the weight. Instead of doing 10 reps x 3 sets, I'd do slow reps and do as many as I could manage. Usually about 3 or 4.

I got this advice from a builder at the gym, and when I tried it I found it worked.

Then when cutting do the opposite. Lighter weights, more reps. Plus LOTS of cardio.

ReputationRep:
    Got google?

alright, I stop being a ****.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

EDIT: Oops, I thought you said website. WeSTSIDE is http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpotts88)
    Hi all,

Coming to end of a routine im currently doing in the next couple weeks and was wondering views on what routines people like to use for building some size...

Im currently hitting 1 body part a day, once a week, so my format would look something like:

Monday - Legs

Tuesday - Chest

Wed - Off

Thursday - Back

The routine before this one I had a lot of success doing a simple compound movement routine 3 times a week which comprised of doing the same thing every time I hit the gym.

Ive been thinking about a 4 day split hitting everything twice a week although been thinking my recovery may not be able to handle it?

Luke
    I stick to a routine, which I moderate if I need to make gains, or work problem areas :

Mon: Back Primary sets and then Seconday muscle group sets.
    ABS upper sets, lower sets, and a mixed set.
    With 40mins Cardo.

Tues: Shoulders Primary sets and Secondary muscle group sets.
    Triceps, Primary sets and Secondary muscle group sets.
    ABS upper sets, lower sets, and a mixed set.
    With 40mins Cardio

Wednesday: Day Off

Thursday: Upper legs, primary and secondary muscle groups.
    Calves sets; seated sets and then standing sets.
    40mins cardio.

Friday:Chest Primary sets and then Seconday muscle group sets.
    Biceps Primary sets and then secondary muscle sets.
    ABS Upper/middle sets, then lower, then a mix.
    40mins cardio.

Saturday: Off Day off

Sunday Off.

I moderate that plan once in awhile to break the "routine"; throwing in various reps like Super sets, pre-exhaustion, tri sets, giants sets, to make gains, that may work for you if you're sure your pushing the most out of your current routine, and are already confident, and experienced, or else you may cause an injury.

I'm not sure what you mean, if your thinking of working on the same muscle group twice a week, I think you may impede your muscle development, over exhaust yourself, and possibly cause an injury.

ReputationRep:
    CAUSE INJURY AND IMPEDED MUSCLE DEVELOPMENT BY WORKING A MUSCLE GROUP TWICE A WEEK

Has the world gone mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saff123)
    I'm not sure what you mean, if your thinking of working on the same muscle group twice a week, I think you may impede your muscle development, over exhaust yourself, and possibly cause an injury.
    Oh, what about squatting 3 times a week? Is that bad?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Monday - Legs

Tuesday - Chest

Wed - Off

Thursday - Back

Luke
    As the others have said the WSSB, SS, 5 x5 are all great.

i gain well on a modified WS split kinda like this, I periodise a certain lift and target pbs (triples etc) in that area to work on weak points, I belive this could be your friend in developing serious mass too. Its basically 6 week cycles so cycle 1 may look like:

Sunday:
    Board Press Heavy - Working up and down boards to maximum doubles 8ish sets
    Floor/Pin Press - Maximum triple about 3-4 sets
    Pressdowns - 3 sets of 8 use a different handle each week
    2 x rear delt movments - face pulls, real lateral, rear fly machine etc 3 sets of about 8
    Rotator Cuff work

Monday (hard ass day)

Squats - 5 warm up sets progressivly heavier of 5, one top set of 5 focus on speed
    2 back of sets - pause squats in hole

Deadlifts - 2-3 warm ups (warm from squats) one top set of 5 - must be fast
    3 x 3 speed deadlifts - these should fly off the floor!

Partial Deadlifts - foucs on building up to maximum triples - this will add lots of mass

Hacksquats/Leg Press - depending on where your weak/small choose 3-4 sets of 8
    Calves - if you can be arsed

Wednesday:

Speed Bench- 3-5 sets of 5-3 reps respectivly - try to keep sharp
    Push Press 3sets of 5ish
    Incline Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 8
    Dips 3-4 sets of 8 (focus on weight moved for mass)
    Shrugs/Power Shrugs 6-7 sets, moving up weight each set for one top end set of power shrugs
    Tricep stuff - 2 tricep movements - light
    Biceps if you care
    Rotator cuff

Friday:

Squats - High Bar Oly stlye - 3-5 sets 5-3 reps
    Front Squats - as above
    Freeweight row - 3 sets of 5
    Close Grip chins/Pulldowns 3 sets of 6-8
    Pulley Row 3 sets of 6-8

That will probably do ya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    That will probably do ya
    I always have to read your posts carefully, to make sure you're not taking the piss. Sometimes your piss-taking is extreme and easy to spot. Sometimes it's humorously close to actual advice.

I like this one. If PL gives you real advice, take it. End of.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Monday - Legs

Tuesday - Chest

Wed - Off

Thursday - Back

Luke
    Your training a Split routine at the moment, its not my routine of choice but I would try and harmonize your groups so they work together, something like this: [your back and biceps on one day], and [chest and triceps on another], finally [your Legs one day], and [shoulders on one day].

Split routines like that are popular with body builders but it will take awhile before you see the results, you will also be working out more days and for longer typically 90-mins, they tend to produce a body with hulking parts but not in proportion.

Personally, I prefer the fullbody routines, their used by athletes as opposed to body builders, and give you a proportioned growth and look, if you were training 3 times before on your old routine that probably what you were doing. Ultimately it's all about what your goal is, and what works for you.

Because your coming to the end of your routine you can make a choice, all the best and let us know how it pans out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I always have to read your posts carefully, to make sure you're not taking the piss. Sometimes your piss-taking is extreme and easy to spot.
    After reading that.

(Original post by SMed)
    Oh, what about squatting 3 times a week? Is that bad?
    I'm having the same problem deciding about that^^ :p:

ReputationRep:
    After reading that.

I'm having the same problem deciding about that^^ :p:
    I don't mean to give you too hard a time; you are annoyingly too nice.

But have you heard of Starting Strength?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't mean to give you too hard a time; you are annoyingly too nice.

But have you heard of Starting Strength?
    It's fine, the Mac vs. PC, Catholic vs. Protestant, Canon vs. Nikon, Sperman vs Spiderman, it's an entirely the human genius to find disagreement. <sigh>

Do you mean Mark; powerlifter coach?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean Mark; powerlifter coach?
    I don't know if I'd call him a powerlifting coach. He is a strength based coach, but that's not necessarily powerlifting. His program certainly does not incorporate powerlifting styles, with regards to lifting techniques for novices.

Basically, his program has novices squatting 3 times a week. People who haven't tried it get freaked out by that; but no one, no one can say it doesn't work and work hella fast at getting guys big and strong.

I'm not saying the OP is a novice, as he's claimed to have already done a few routines. But even guys that have already been training a while can still run SS for a little while.

But anyway, it looks like he's running WS4SB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't know if I'd call him a powerlifting coach. He is a strength based coach, but that's not necessarily powerlifting. His program certainly does not incorporate powerlifting styles, with regards to lifting techniques for novices.

Basically, his program has novices squatting 3 times a week. People who haven't tried it get freaked out by that; but no one, no one can say it doesn't work and work hella fast at getting guys big and strong.

I'm not saying the OP is a novice, as he's claimed to have already done a few routines. But even guys that have already been training a while can still run SS for a little while.

But anyway, it looks like he's running WS4SB.
    My coach gave us print-outs from "Starting Strength", and we incorporated it into our work out, so I have benefited from his expertise and techniques; squats, dead lifts, and his power clean .

I don't train as hard as I used to then, I'm not an athlete anymore, but thats not to say, I'm not always learning new things and working on different areas, thats something I'll hopefully be doing as the older I get, as long as I live.

I'm not saying that his routines are not worthwhile, because you clearly feel they have benefited you and thats all that matters, for me it's about getting the highest quality of combination, strength, speed and polished definition out of a workout based on what I've learnt over the years while leading a life involving, work, study, and socializing and at some point hopefully meeting a cool girl.

"Starting Strength" is a great book for correct lifting technique, if the OP isn't already familiar with correct technique, than by all means I would recommend it, but if his life is anything like mine he needs to incorporate those techniques into a broader program that works with his lifestyle. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

ReputationRep:
    The idea with starting strength is to get your main lifts high so you can then start doing all the other business

ReputationRep:
    My coach gave us print-outs from "Starting Strength", and we incorporated it into our work out, so I have benefited from his expertise and techniques; squats, dead lifts, and his power clean .

I don't train as hard as I used to then, I'm not an athlete anymore, but thats not to say, I'm not always learning new things and working on different areas, thats something I'll hopefully be doing as the older I get, as long as I live.

I'm not saying that his routines are not worthwhile, because you clearly feel they have benefited you and thats all that matters, for me it's about getting the highest quality of combination, strength, speed and polished definition out of a workout based on what I've learnt over the years while leading a life involving, work, study, and socializing and at some point hopefully meeting a cool girl.

"Starting Strength" is a great book for correct lifting technique, if the OP isn't already familiar with correct technique, than by all means I would recommend it, but if his life is anything like mine he needs to incorporate those techniques into a broader program that works with his lifestyle. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
    I got that one well and truly sorted so I care less for "da abz," as it were.

The beauty of SS is the simplicity of it; perfect for such a hectic and busy lifestyle. Also, the sheer success people have had on it, with regards to strength. I feel that an average sized novice lifter should be able to get their numbers up to BP: 100kg, SQ: 140kg and DL: 160-170kg+ from a full, all-out thorough attack of SS. That is of course, if strength is ones primary goal; not everyone's is.

I understand where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and my main reason for bringing it up really, was to refute the notion that squatting three times a week was piss-taking on my part.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny that so many people list their routine according to what day of the week it is. There is no reason why chest grows best on Mondays.....

My routine goes like this:

Day 1: Chest and shoulders, abs

Day 2: Back

Day 3: Legs and lower back

Day 4: Arms and abs

Three days off and the cycle begins all over again. This routine is supplemented by 1-2 cardio session per week.

And to become like a bear in both size and strength, one must eat accordingly.
    I have three large meals a day (I am getting around >0.5kg of meat a day on average) as well as breakfast and two smaller sandwich sessions, all of which works out to a meal every 3 hours or so.

Over the past 1.5-2 months or so, this has helped me gain around 4-5 kg.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.