Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few thoughts

I was rejected by Cambridge a few months ago...and I'm rather disappointed I didn't get in. In fact I would have quite happily given everything I have for a place

I did get an offer from a law department from another law department at another university.

I would just like to make the point that going to Cambridge would have meant a lot to me.

I'm not going to say

'I didn't want to go there anyway'
    'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'
    'They aren't interested in comprehensive school types'
    'The university I'm going to has a similar academic reputation'

because I know these arguments are untrue

thanks

sulpicia.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should write this down in a blog?

Thanks for sharing, though

ReputationRep:
    I would never want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because im to working class lol
    But it is full of snobs.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought I wanted to go there.. now I'm just about to change my mind O_o
    I dont know why, luckily it doesnt matter so much because I would have not been accepted anyway! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people say it's full of snobs without having actually gone there. I mean all uni's have people you don't like and get on with.

Just saying because I want to apply next year for Oxford and on the open days everyone was just really friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Join the club.

Glad I'm off to KCL (hopefully) though. After all, it is just a uni, OP.

Can't believe I was literally only 2 places from an offer though. Top 150 out of about 1500 applicants offered places. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    At my interviews (you sleep over for a few days), I came across a handful of typical 'snobs' (the preppy, sickly type), but many, many more genuine, intellectual and great guys/gals too though.

ReputationRep:
    well, I know someone who has gone to cambridge and he came back from the first term all smug and frankly quite up himself, but this is one person and I wouldn't say it is the common situation, but I do think such an institution will have probably have more of these people than average.
    Nevertheless I would very much like to go there for law, so I shall reserve this space for me to be rejected next year.
    But I do think that you are putting too much emphasis on it, getting caught up in the oxbridge myth as it were. Yes they are very good universities, probably the best in England, but they are by no means the only good universities. And in any one course they may not necessarily be the best. They are good but not getting in should not be seen as different from all the universities that one applies to, as this excacerbates the problem of people feeling like failures when they don't get in. They are good universities, but I don't buy into the oxbridge fixation. When you make your five choices, you should have the attitude that they are 5 first choices, and that getting into any one of them is success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Join the club.

Glad I'm off to KCL (hopefully) though. After all, it is just a uni, OP.
    Bravo on the med school place. How on earth does one amass so many warnings?

ReputationRep:
    To even get an interview at Oxbridge shows that you have very good academic ability. Prestige is not everything especially between Uni's in the top 5 or so I'd say (maybe more). A degree from LSE is most definitely something to be very proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    To even get an interview at Oxbridge shows that you have very good academic ability.
    not really, they interview a lot of people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    So you're telling me that any old average C grade student can get an Oxbridge interview?

ReputationRep:
    ~ 400/1500 medical applicants isn't really alot. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    So you're telling me that any old average C grade student can get an Oxbridge interview?
    any old average C student wouldn't apply to oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    ~ 400/1500 medical applicants isn't really alot. :no:
    yea but i'm talking about overall, quite a lot of people get interviewed and not all of them are wow/amazing

ReputationRep:
    I remember chatting to you OP near and after D Day, I really thought you'd get in. But anyway, it really doesn't matter, you'll have a wonderful time at LSE, it's a great place, the people are scarily intelligent and the law department is brilliant. You shall have a great time, and you should try to put Cambridge out of your mind. You seem like a bright guy, so consider it for post grad. Chin up buddy. z.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    Bravo on the med school place. How on earth does one amass so many warnings?
    Cheers.

Aha, 'tis a secret. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayel)
    I don't know why people say it's full of snobs without having actually gone there. I mean all uni's have people you don't like and get on with.

Just saying because I want to apply next year for Oxford and on the open days everyone was just really friendly.
    It is a very snobby place they make a big deal about taking on working class students like we are strange and not a good thing. Its full of upper class people who think they are better then working class just because mum and dad have a **** load of money.

ReputationRep:
    any old average C student wouldn't apply to oxbridge
    Good point and that shows that the applicant must be above average and so at least slightly academically gifted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    It is a very snobby place they make a big deal about taking on working class students like we are strange and not a good thing. Its full of upper class people who think they are better then working class just because mum and dad have a **** load of money.
    Grow up, you silly thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.