Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability
    BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    i disagree with this; and here is why...

you said:
    getting 4 A grades + shows you have very good academic ability.
    getting 3 A grades shows you have good acadmic ability.

but how can getting 3 A grades show in any way, that you aren't still capable of getting 4? or 10? using your logic, getting AAA can't show you're academically equal to someone with AAAA, so how can you state there's a difference? you're stating there is no way that getting 3 As and getting 4 As are the same (in terms of ability), but how can you show that they're different (in terms of ability)? its inconsistent.

so in the same reasoning, how can you be sure what 'the amount' of A grades means? does it even mean anything in terms of academic ability? isn't this why oxford and cambridge interview people?

sorry i didn't really read this thread, just felt like typing something.

ReputationRep:
    4 > 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Haha, cheers.

It's wonderful that I was so close and yet frustrating too I guess! Caaaaaaaaaan't wait for KCL though!!!
    I bet. It looks amazing. I deliberated for so long over choosing them as my firm... it looks like such a good experience. Living in london/the facilities/nightlife/reputation/I'll stop now...

Your offer is higher than mine for KCL! They only want ABB for Modern Languages, yeehaw. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    i disagree with this; and here is why...

you said:
    getting 4 A grades + may show you have very good academic ability.
    getting 3 A grades may show you have good acadmic ability.

but how can getting 3 A grades show in any way, that you aren't still capable of getting 4? or 10? using your logic, getting AAA can't show you're academically equal to someone with AAAA, so how can you state there's a difference? its inconsistent.

so in the same reasoning, how can you be sure what 'the amount' of A grades means? does it even mean anything in terms of academic ability? isn't this why oxford and cambridge interview people?

sorry i didn't really read this thread, just felt like typing something.
    meh i did it based on how much stuff you had to do. Of course it's flawed as people get AAB ABB BAC etc etc but it's better than nothing imo. If you do 3 A levels, you have less work, you can work harder at those 3 subjects. Bring in a 4th A level and things get harder, a 5th even harder. That's how i went about doing it, may be wrong but it's what i think. I'm sure those who haven't got an A in their final A levels would have been able to do so if they only had one A level to do

ReputationRep:
    Haha, cheers.

It's wonderful that I was so close and yet frustrating too I guess! Caaaaaaaaaan't wait for KCL though!!!
    Howcome you knew your rank out of all applicants if it's a college-level decision? Is this some special medic thing?

ReputationRep:
    meh i did it based on how much stuff you had to do. Of course it's flawed as people get AAB ABB BAC etc etc but it's better than nothing imo. If you do 3 A levels, you have less work, you can work harder at those 3 subjects. Bring in a 4th A level and things get harder, a 5th even harder. That's how i went about doing it, may be wrong but it's what i think. I'm sure those who haven't got an A in their final A levels would have been able to do so if they only had one A level to do
    i totally agree with your point: less A levels = less workload... makes perfect sense.

and while i definitely appreciate your opinion (and anyone elses) I was just pointing out that i don't see the reasoning behind "the higher your workload, the cleverer you are". i think more along the lines of "a higher workload shows you're clever, but not necessarily cleverer"

it boils down to 'why' people are sitting A levels. While some people pick three they are really interested in, others may pick 4 or 5 to impress universities. there's nothing at all wrong with that, and while i definitely agree with the fact that studying 4+ does show (at least on paper) you have a very high level of academic ability, it doesn't show (and can't show) that they're better than people doing three.

hence, the necessity to interview at oxford and cambridge; and the inevitable rejection of people with 4+ A grades at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Howcome you knew your rank out of all applicants if it's a college-level decision? Is this some special medic thing?
    Yah, medics are all centrally assessed at Oxford. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panglossian)
    I bet. It looks amazing. I deliberated for so long over choosing them as my firm... it looks like such a good experience. Living in london/the facilities/nightlife/reputation/I'll stop now...

Your offer is higher than mine for KCL! They only want ABB for Modern Languages, yeehaw. :cool:
    As your firm? Over CAM? Whaaa? :woo:

Though I do :love: London. :yes: Hopefully I'll get into the apartments by the Thames! :woo:

You'll love Cam, I'm sure. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yah, medics are all centrally assessed at Oxford. :yep:
    Too bad, although the course at King's is according to my sources much more hands on than at Oxford, so if that's your thing I'm sure you'll like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Too bad, although the course at King's is according to my sources much more hands on than at Oxford, so if that's your thing I'm sure you'll like it.
    Yah, an integrated course at KCL. Desperate for AAA. Please, God, please! :woo:

Are you applying for uni now/have done?

ReputationRep:
    Yah, an integrated course at KCL. Desperate for AAA. Please, God, please! :woo:

Are you applying for uni now/have done?
    Yea, but my undergrad application was a loooooooooong time ago...

ReputationRep:
    As your firm? Over CAM? Whaaa? :woo:

Though I do :love: London. :yes: Hopefully I'll get into the apartments by the Thames! :woo:

You'll love Cam, I'm sure. :yep:
    Haha yeah I considered it. Kings seems less daunting (only in comparison, as Oxbridge is so hyped up in my school) and all the stereotypes about Cam scared me a bit. In my experience, none of them were true though, so I firmed Cam. Also my teachers/parents/family would have killed me, which would have made doing the exams to get the grades for KCL considerably more difficult.

& thank you, I do hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    They interview far fewer for med because of the BMAT so it IS more of an achievement , but for everything else the % interviewed is much greater. Even Cambridge interview most for Med!
    Oh, I see.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to be studying at uni/gap year shizzle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    Med reject but I applied to too many BMAT unis. Thinking of taking up Psychology at UCL (it was my back-up) , and then seeing how I feel in 3 years! If I decide to take a gap year, I'll travel!
    You're going to KCL? I have a friend who's a 3rd year medic there and she really likes it, so you should have a good time
    Aww, I'm sure you'll do great whatever you decide to do. :console: Mmm, Psychology seems very interesting and UCL is bloody brilliant (brother finished archit./civil engineering degree there for proof), but then again a year of travelling seems great too!

Don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched (AAA), but thanks a lot! :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Im not silly I know someone who went there and thats what it was like for them. I dont need to grow up lol you need to let people have opinions.
    That's one person's experience though. You shouldn't treat it as a universal truth! Loads of people have different experiences of the place. I'm a working class student and it's rarely been a problem. I only ever got ****** comments from one person (my tutorial partner) and all I had to do was tell him to get over himself and that he was wrong about so many things, to shut him up. I eventually told my tutor about it and his instant reaction was to try and get this guy disciplined by the university and possibly thrown out.

So there's a completely different experience of being a working class student at Oxford. Equally, that doesn't mean that it's like that for every other student, but it's another perspective on things :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Anyone who gets AAB is a compleete and total failure.
    :cry:

You're mean. I don't like you anymore.

:cry:

Edit: OP, that's a nice post and it's nice to read you're not ****ging off Cambridge. Getting into Law at LSE is a tremendous achievement and I'm sure in a few months time, you'll be very glad you're there

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

aiming too high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I would never want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because im to working class lol
    But it is full of snobs.
    It's not "full of snobs". I know plenty of people who have gone to Oxbridge and are genuinely lovely people, nothing snobbish about them. They'll be the same number of people you don't like as there would be at any university, just people like to point it out more.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't see someone who gets AAA as having very good academic ability. Sure it's hard but that in itself doesn't mean they're very good academically imo so i wouldn't say it's very good, I'd say it's good. People who get 4 As or more i'd start saying they were very good
    Some schools and colleges don't let you take 4 A2s for a start, so someone could in theory be capable of getting AAAA but be prevented because of school policy. Besides AAA is still brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    A few thoughts

I was rejected by Cambridge a few months ago...and I'm rather disappointed I didn't get in. In fact I would have quite happily given everything I have for a place

I did get an offer from a law department from another law department at another university.

I would just like to make the point that going to Cambridge would have meant a lot to me.

I'm not going to say

'I didn't want to go there anyway'
    'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'
    'They aren't interested in comprehensive school types'
    'The university I'm going to has a similar academic reputation'

because I know these arguments are untrue

thanks

sulpicia.
    **** happens in life. You get over it. There is nothing that we can do about it.
    /thread

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.