Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR can AAA not be very good academically. The percentage of students who get that grade or better is minute- only 20,000 of 900,000 school leavers (aka the top 2%) achieved that- so you'd be hard pushed to say even the BBB students (top third) are in any way poor. A bigger debate would be around whether having AAA at 17/18 years old is in any way reflective of academic potential at a higher level- the amount of people here who seem to think they're part of the new academic elite based solely on a few A-Level grades before they've even set foot in a university is a nonsense. The work doesn't end with school, it begins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Evey second I spend reading your posts on this thread, I lose a little more hope for all of humanity, son.

Please do stop. :sigh:
    I've been skimming through these threads and something that really strikes me is your pathetic, patronising attitude of superiority.

Please, 'son', do shut up. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well done on getting into LSE anyways

(Original post by katierattray)
    It is a very snobby place they make a big deal about taking on working class students like we are strange and not a good thing. Its full of upper class people who think they are better then working class just because mum and dad have a **** load of money.
    For the record, the 'working class' person I know who goes to Oxford has had no problems, and is friends with a good variety of people. She says the only time 'working class' (I hate that term tbh) people get snobbed is whe they hang aound together and act like they're the only ones who got in 'on merit', which is clearly not true :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    A few thoughts

I was rejected by Cambridge a few months ago...and I'm rather disappointed I didn't get in. In fact I would have quite happily given everything I have for a place

I did get an offer from a law department from another law department at another university.

I would just like to make the point that going to Cambridge would have meant a lot to me.

I'm not going to say

'I didn't want to go there anyway'
    'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'
    'They aren't interested in comprehensive school types'
    'The university I'm going to has a similar academic reputation'

because I know these arguments are untrue

thanks

sulpicia.
    In a few months time I'll probably be the same... Sending you a huge hug, and congratulations on getting a place at another university - I'm sure that once you've started there you wouldn't want to be anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Some schools and colleges don't let you take 4 A2s for a start, so someone could in theory be capable of getting AAAA but be prevented because of school policy. Besides AAA is still brilliant
    It's a brilliant result, but it does't mean one is brilliant - I think that's the distinction the alphabet guy was trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not resentful because I got rejected, I'm resentful because they refused to give me, or my school when they sent a petition, a reason for not giving me an interview, when only 16% of applicants for my course got rejected pre-interview. At the open day they went on and on about how thick you have to be to not even get an interview, saying how it was just to get rid of the ones who were reeeeeally unsuitable for the course, etc., in order to encourage people to apply. However, afterwards it felt pretty bad to be in that bottom 16% when everyone has always told me the interview would be my greatest strength. Especially when I had 12 A*s at GCSE and high As in all my very academic A level subjects, and a personal statement that my teachers said was one of the best they'd ever read... if I'd been rejected post-interview, like so many brilliant people, it would have been a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well the way you worded it at first wasn't slightly academically gifted lol

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability
    BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    I kind of disagree, different grades mean different things to different people, also, not everyone attends the best schools (not that you can't do well in others) but it does help a hell of a lot, CCC are still very respectable A-levels, and to achieve BBB is definately not "ok" ability! The whole idea of AAAA+, do you mean things like AEAs and STEPS? Because they're only useful imo for Oxbridge (maybe a few others) applications, nothing more, and so there is no difference between AAAA+ and AAA/AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    I'm not resentful because I got rejected, I'm resentful because they refused to give me, or my school when they sent a petition, a reason for not giving me an interview, when only 16% of applicants for my course got rejected pre-interview. At the open day they went on and on about how thick you have to be to not even get an interview, saying how it was just to get rid of the ones who were reeeeeally unsuitable for the course, etc., in order to encourage people to apply. However, afterwards it felt pretty bad to be in that bottom 16% when everyone has always told me the interview would be my greatest strength. Especially when I had 12 A*s at GCSE and high As in all my very academic A level subjects, and a personal statement that my teachers said was one of the best they'd ever read... if I'd been rejected post-interview, like so many brilliant people, it would have been a different matter.
    Really? What course, what A Levels, what type of school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well the way you worded it at first wasn't slightly academically gifted lol

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability

BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    stupid post to be honest. AAA + also shows very good academic ability just because someone has done an extra a-level doesnt make them have a better academic abitlity.

ReputationRep:
    I want to add too, being rejected from Oxbridge really isnt the end of the world, it would be great to go there true for the fantastic experience and oppurtunities, however. You can still definately get these experiences and oppurtunities at other fantastic institutions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    It's not "full of snobs". I know plenty of people who have gone to Oxbridge and are genuinely lovely people, nothing snobbish about them. They'll be the same number of people you don't like as there would be at any university, just people like to point it out more.
    I'm sure every university has *****y people. I'm sure if they's snobs at Henley College, talking about 'how much weed they grown', 'dad brought me a car', there's snobs at Oxbridge def. Still over 70% are private schooled!

I just wonder if the Oxbridge people then talk to Oxford Brookes a lot or Anglia Rulskin university people... :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm applying for oxford for 2010 entry.
    I know that if i don't get in, i'll feel exactly like you OP.
    Yes my other choices would be good as well. Just not quite as good.

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview at Oxford and spent a brilliant few days there. Although there were some people who clearly felt like they ruled the world, i actually made some good friends who I still speak to on facebook. Everyone was very southern (or foreign) but the only time I felt a bit out of place, as a northerner, was when I sat down for dinner next to a girl from one of the best private schools in the country who's accent could honestly have cut glass. My Newcastle dialect was entirely impenetrable to her!

I was rejected after interviews and, although it wasn't unexpected, I won't say it didn't hurt! Still, as i managed to screw up royally in my biology coursework I'm not on for three A's anymore so I guess its all worked out for the best in the end. It'd be horrible to get a place but then not get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Well done on getting into LSE anyways

For the record, the 'working class' person I know who goes to Oxford has had no problems, and is friends with a good variety of people. She says the only time 'working class' (I hate that term tbh) people get snobbed is whe they hang aound together and act like they're the only ones who got in 'on merit', which is clearly not true :rolleyes:
    You'll probably find most 'working class' people fit into Oxbridge because they have to assume a more 'upper class' identity.. and cover up their roots.

I don't think my accent... from the land of the smog-monster... would get me too far in that area.

(Original post by Idontlikecricket)
    I got an interview at Oxford and spent a brilliant few days there. Although there were some people who clearly felt like they ruled the world, i actually made some good friends who I still speak to on facebook. Everyone was very southern (or foreign) but the only time I felt a bit out of place, as a northerner, was when I sat down for dinner next to a girl from one of the best private schools in the country who's accent could honestly have cut glass. My Newcastle dialect was entirely impenetrable to her!
    I heard a statistic that 1.9% of Oxbridge undergraduates are from the North... now, I don't know what the context of that stat was, and whether they considered North anything above Leeds or the outer Hebrides... but do you think there's any truth behind it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGivingRealName)
    I've been skimming through these threads and something that really strikes me is your pathetic, patronising attitude of superiority.

Please, 'son', do shut up. :rolleyes:
    Coor, has my sarcasm struck a nerve, son?

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably find most 'working class' people fit into Oxbridge because they have to assume a more 'upper class' identity.. and cover up their roots.

I don't think my accent... from the land of the smog-monster... would get me too far in that area.
    lol, how many upper class people do you know, because to assume an upper class identity, one really has to either have money, or enough names to drop. One can't just change their accent and fit right in, it's a little more than that (manners, body language, attitude etc).
    People may change a bit and get an Oxford drawl, but realisticly they're still themselves, they still have to go back home to their two up two down in the summer. Everyone there is going to be intelligent, and as 40% of people at Oxbridge are from state schools, ones not going to be completely alienated. Granted, the people who've been to Eton/Harrow and the forgien students who are Princes in their home country might be a little weird to one, but by and large people are fine with anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Only on TSR can AAA not be very good academically. The percentage of students who get that grade or better is minute- only 20,000 of 900,000 school leavers (aka the top 2%) achieved that- so you'd be hard pushed to say even the BBB students (top third) are in any way poor. A bigger debate would be around whether having AAA at 17/18 years old is in any way reflective of academic potential at a higher level- the amount of people here who seem to think they're part of the new academic elite based solely on a few A-Level grades before they've even set foot in a university is a nonsense. The work doesn't end with school, it begins.
    do you have a link for this statistic? not saying i dont believe you, its just i heard a much higher figure for percentage of people getting AAA, and so if your statistic were true it would change my views on this matter a lot lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    do you have a link for this statistic? not saying i dont believe you, its just i heard a much higher figure for percentage of people getting AAA, and so if your statistic were true it would change my views on this matter a lot lol.
    Yep, I'll go look it up. What you're probably thinking of is the percentage of students who sat 3 or more A2s who went onto get AAA or better- thats about 10% or so. However, this isn't the same as looking at the entire breakdown of students- plently leave school before A2, plenty don't sit three of them etc, so aren't included.

Edit: The BBC put the figure at 800,000 in an article where they were talking about the challenges facing school leavers. I'd done my sums based on the 8.2million the government say (dcsf.gov.uk) are in school in England. Cambridge statistics say 24,000 got AAA in 2006, only 1,000 of them took more than one of the 'soft' A-Levels the university had listed as less preferred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I would never want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because im to working class lol
    But it is full of snobs.
    This.

OP, if you haven't said so already, what uni. did accept you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Yep, I'll go look it up. What you're probably thinking of is the percentage of students who sat 3 or more A2s who went onto get AAA or better- thats about 10% or so. However, this isn't the same as looking at the entire breakdown of students- plently leave school before A2, plenty don't sit three of them etc, so aren't included.
    ah yes i think that was the percentage i was thinking of. cool, your stat puts things in a bit more perspective then, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.