Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same as you a year ago OP, but once you start at wherever you end up you'll feel so much better. I feel like I was meant to end up here and that I was rejected for a reason; I wouldn't have got on well there and for that I can only thank them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well the way you worded it at first wasn't slightly academically gifted lol

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability
    BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    Or:

AAAAA - very good academic ability
    AAAA - good academic ability
    AAA - ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    4 > 3
    4 = 5. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    4 = 5. :cool:
    5 > 3, still :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    5 > 3, still :teeth:
    lol. :rolleyes: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    Course: History
    A-Levels: Biology, English Literature and History, with full marks in all my History exams and a moderately high A in the coursework.
    State school. My school is pretty awful at getting people with really high grades in for either English (has never happened) or History, or indeed any other humanity subject into Oxford. However, with things like Medicine or Physics it's surprisingly good... wonder why.
    It was most likely a poor result in the HAT

And I wish people would stop making statements about Oxbridge without knowing what they're talking about (two people have mentioned the false 70% figure from private schools, when it's actually around 45%, and for context 20% of those doing A levels are from private schools).

I went to a state comprehensive with some utterly dire results at A level, I wish people would stop making assumptions about universities they know nothing about.

There are other good universities in the UK of course, and I think there is a disproportionate focus on Oxbridge in the media, but I have no idea why it gets this level of abuse from some people.

To the OP, getting an offer from LSE for Law is something you should be incredibly proud of, and I seriously doubt it will have any detrimental impact on your career having been there as opposed to Oxford or Cambridge. I wish you a very happy three years there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    Why? 70% private school, usually private schools are for the very rich, therefore upper class.

I was talking about the general attitude i see on here that people all think they're middle class. When we can't all be.
    I was informed at an Oxford open day that just over half of the students currently there are from state schools. 70% is bull.

ReputationRep:
    got rejceted by cambridge too, and was pretty down about it when i got my rejection.
    then i died my hair from very blonde to dark brown (something i said from the beginning on i would do in caseof a rejection) and then it was fine ...

well, i was still upset for some time, but then i got my lse offer and that made up for it. especially as i canged quite a bit during the last year, and def gonna enjoy a big city more than cambridge i think ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaLatte)
    got rejceted by cambrdge too, and was pretty down about it when i got my rejection.
    hen died my air from very blonde to dark brown (something isaid from the beginnin i would do) and then it was fine ...

well, i was still upset for some time, but theni got my lse offer and that mae up for it. especially as i cangedquite a bit durng the last ear, and def gonna enjoy a bi city more than cambridge i tihnk ...
    I just can't read a word Oo

wat allabou teh wrun spelln f evryting eh? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindath)
    I just can't read a word Oo

wat allabou teh wrun spelln f evryting eh? :o:
    just got a new labtop and keybord kinda sucks ... nd usually i dont read y all post béfore sending them an then i seem like a retard who cant spell ...
    sorry :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    A few thoughts

I was rejected by Cambridge a few months ago...and I'm rather disappointed I didn't get in. In fact I would have quite happily given everything I have for a place

I did get an offer from a law department from another law department at another university.

I would just like to make the point that going to Cambridge would have meant a lot to me.

I'm not going to say

'I didn't want to go there anyway'
    'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'
    'They aren't interested in comprehensive school types'
    'The university I'm going to has a similar academic reputation'

because I know these arguments are untrue

thanks

sulpicia.
    Erm, i totally get why you're upset but...
    OMG you got into LSE law
    that is like a momentous achivement by anyone's standards

and ill just throw in little anecdote here to make you feel better
    i know someone who did law at LSE and now is a top lawyer at Clifford Chance ,having the time of her life
    and i also someone else who did law at cambridge and is currently unemployed and miserable

just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    It was most likely a poor result in the HAT

And I wish people would stop making statements about Oxbridge without knowing what they're talking about (two people have mentioned the false 70% figure from private schools, when it's actually around 45%, and for context 20% of those doing A levels are from private schools).

I went to a state comprehensive with some utterly dire results at A level, I wish people would stop making assumptions about universities they know nothing about.

There are other good universities in the UK of course, and I think there is a disproportionate focus on Oxbridge in the media, but I have no idea why it gets this level of abuse from some people.

To the OP, getting an offer from LSE for Law is something you should be incredibly proud of, and I seriously doubt it will have any detrimental impact on your career having been there as opposed to Oxford or Cambridge. I wish you a very happy three years there.

In case your second and third paragraphs were directed in any way towards me, then I'd just like to say that I wasn't making broad sweeping generalisations about Oxford's attitude to all the state schools in the country, but merely referring to the fact that my school has never had a single pupil get into either Cambridge or Oxford for English literature since it was established (and very few for history), when about ten people apply for that subject every year. I understand how such vague generalisations could be offensive to you.
    And yes, it probably was the HAT, and I don't have a problem with Oxbridge using primarily their own test in order to select people for interviews, only with the fact that they refused to tell me my score when I rang them to ask for it - how much time would it have taken for them to say? It's only natural that I'd like to be presented with a tangible reason for my failure when I had spent the last twelve years of my life dreaming of that particular goal.
    If you've screwed something up of this magnitude, who wouldn't want to know why?

ReputationRep:
    Fellow despondent rejects, let's all sing a solemn song. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGivingRealName)
    Nonetheless, 16% is still a very low figure.
    Really? Those areas make up about 14m people, so 23% or so of the population. Take Scotland out, since they don't sit A-Levels and thus have a tiny percentage of students who pass three advanced highers and go to English unis (let alone Oxbridge), and we're talking about 15% of the population. Therefore, 16% seems to be in the right ballpark by the looks of things, and it seems to correspond roughly to the number of applicants who gained offers as well. I very much doubt Oxford or Cambridge has it in for everyone north of Birmingham- its probably more likely that distance itself can be an off putting factor for some- many Northern Irish people, even with AAA, choose to stay at home on go into a BBB or lower course rather than move to the south of England for the sake of a slightly more selective course. I'd hazard a guess its not just Oxbridge here- I'd like to see Bristol or Exeter's % of students from the same areas, its probably, if anything, lower.

ReputationRep:
    I had interviews at Oxford and unfortunately didn't make it. While I know that it isn't necessarily discrimination that influences the ratio of privateublic school people who attend Oxbridge, I would like to add that many state schools have few applicants to such elite universities. Indeed, myself and one other girl from my school were the only ones to try our luck out of many years, and I believe that the experience of the teachers at your school in dealing with Oxbridge applicants has a large bearing upon your chances on getting offered a place.

I had no help really, and had no idea how to go about preparing for the interview, despite my best efforts to research. A nearby state school had six successful Oxbridge candidates and their head of sixth form was highly keen on getting as many students as possible to Oxbridge, whereas our school puts very little emphasis upon such goals . Just something to think about. I know that doesn't go for some successful candidates from state schools but I feel I'd have had a better chance if I had talked to somebody with more experience. At least I didn't break down crying at the interview like many I saw =P I thought the professors were very lovely, myself.

Anyway, Edinburgh is the place to be =P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Still over 70% are private schooled!

I just wonder if the Oxbridge people then talk to Oxford Brookes a lot or Anglia Rulskin university people... :rolleyes:
    Read the posts about the actual figures

I have two friends at Brookes and did a course there. So at least one Oxbridge person out there who has talked to a Brookes person, in the history of the two unis

(Original post by NotGivingRealName)
    You'll probably find most 'working class' people fit into Oxbridge because they have to assume a more 'upper class' identity.. and cover up their roots.
    Aforementioned tutorial partner once remarked that I'd started speaking "properly", prompting me to immediately revert to my normal accent and teach my Hounslow slang words to my staircase

(Original post by Menelwen)
    I believe that the experience of the teachers at your school in dealing with Oxbridge applicants has a large bearing upon your chances on getting offered a place.
    :ditto:

My school was pretty clueless. They pretty much told me that I was wasting my time apply I was lucky that I had the Access Scheme and my sister (and much of her knowledge was from the Access Scheme!) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    In case your second and third paragraphs were directed in any way towards me, then I'd just like to say that I wasn't making broad sweeping generalisations about Oxford's attitude to all the state schools in the country, but merely referring to the fact that my school has never had a single pupil get into either Cambridge or Oxford for English literature since it was established (and very few for history), when about ten people apply for that subject every year. I understand how such vague generalisations could be offensive to you.
    And yes, it probably was the HAT, and I don't have a problem with Oxbridge using primarily their own test in order to select people for interviews, only with the fact that they refused to tell me my score when I rang them to ask for it - how much time would it have taken for them to say? It's only natural that I'd like to be presented with a tangible reason for my failure when I had spent the last twelve years of my life dreaming of that particular goal.
    If you've screwed something up of this magnitude, who wouldn't want to know why?
    It wasn't you I was aiming the comment about generalisations about. There were a couple of others on this thread.

Regarding the HAT, I have a friend who go almost straight A*s at GCSE, 5As and a B at AS, and a Distinction in the History AEA, who didn't get a place. It's difficult to accept, but unfortunately that's part of the admissions process.

Regarding why they didn't tell you, it's odd, because most of the students I know got feedback if they were unsuccessful.

Which college was it, if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    A few thoughts

I was rejected by Cambridge a few months ago...and I'm rather disappointed I didn't get in. In fact I would have quite happily given everything I have for a place

I did get an offer from a law department from another law department at another university.

I would just like to make the point that going to Cambridge would have meant a lot to me.

I'm not going to say

'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'

thanks

sulpicia.

Dont worry... eveyone goes through the oxbridge rejection mourning period for a long time after they get rejected... It's so much hard work getting over it because you have to go through more effort in deciding to apply, going through interviews, admissions tests and whatnot... and then when you've finally convinced yourself that it is the best uni ever... becase after all you have to convince the interviewers... then they reject you... it's hurtful...

But my brother went to cambridge... and I was partially forced into it by him (kept saying I'd regret it for the rest of my life if i didnt try... its the perfect place for me... blah blah) and anyway he did say that when he was there, it was a really competitive place and there were tons of snobs that he never associated with but he found good friends amidst them... I'm starting to feel like everything happened for a reason.

You'll understand later... but I seriously think I'm in a better position now than I could have been if I got that place...

don't worry about not getting in... you might have to work harder to reach your potential maybe... but I think that aside from bragging rights and having a good name to put on your CV... You'll be apprecited more for getting where you are without having gone there... Don't think "oh what if..." Just go ahead and work hard, you'll get to where you want eventually. It's just a name afterall...not going there doesn't make you any less smarter.

ReputationRep:
    A few thoughts

I'm not going to say

'Its too middle class'
    'Its full of snobs'

thanks

sulpicia.
    I'm in a similar situation to you, OP, but I'm ******* psyched about moving to London! Besides, the academic difference is negligible (if there is one) - all Cambridge would have had above it would have been the ability to wow the man on the street - but that's he sort of smarmy arse you don't want to be anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Getting an offer and missing it's rather worse than being rejected outright, I assure you.

Even then- *shrugs*.

It's a lovely place, but in the long run, all you miss out on's the sense of history. I'll cope.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.