Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking back I'm happy with how things turned out. I'd applied on a whim for a course I was unsure about. Now I'm doing a course at a university where I get a nice mix of work and play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    It wasn't you I was aiming the comment about generalisations about. There were a couple of others on this thread.

Regarding the HAT, I have a friend who go almost straight A*s at GCSE, 5As and a B at AS, and a Distinction in the History AEA, who didn't get a place. It's difficult to accept, but unfortunately that's part of the admissions process.

Regarding why they didn't tell you, it's odd, because most of the students I know got feedback if they were unsuccessful.

Which college was it, if you don't mind me asking
    Balliol... I did get a generic 'feedback' letter, but it wasn't aimed specifically at my application, it only said things along the lines of 'there was much competition this year' etc., and when my school asked them why I in particular didn't get an interview, they didn't phone or write back... odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle_xx)
    Balliol... I did get a generic 'feedback' letter, but it wasn't aimed specifically at my application, it only said things along the lines of 'there was much competition this year' etc., and when my school asked them why I in particular didn't get an interview, they didn't phone or write back... odd
    That's very odd

I can only assume that the only thing which would have prevented an otherwise highly qualified candidate being called for interview was the HAT. It's a shame they didn't give proper feedback though.

Have you thought of reapplying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graffic)
    Oxford Brookes is also full of minor public school types who ****** around in sixth form and got **** results. Mummy and daddy send them there with the hope they will fall in with the "oxford crowd" and of course you can say " I wen't to oxford" and hope nobody asks anymore questions.

As for Oxford and Cambridge being full of posh elite's that is a good thing because they will be more interested in accepting those of us who do not talk as if we have a stick up our ass because we will be different
    oh go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Really? Those areas make up about 14m people, so 23% or so of the population. Take Scotland out, since they don't sit A-Levels and thus have a tiny percentage of students who pass three advanced highers and go to English unis (let alone Oxbridge), and we're talking about 15% of the population. Therefore, 16% seems to be in the right ballpark by the looks of things, and it seems to correspond roughly to the number of applicants who gained offers as well. I very much doubt Oxford or Cambridge has it in for everyone north of Birmingham- its probably more likely that distance itself can be an off putting factor for some- many Northern Irish people, even with AAA, choose to stay at home on go into a BBB or lower course rather than move to the south of England for the sake of a slightly more selective course. I'd hazard a guess its not just Oxbridge here- I'd like to see Bristol or Exeter's % of students from the same areas, its probably, if anything, lower.
    Where'd you get those statistics from, may I ask?

The combined populations of the North-West, North-East, Yorkshire & Humberside, Scotland, and Northern Ireland - what we can safely call 'the North' - account for roughly 20 million people. That's closer to 33% of the population. Even taking out Scotland leaves it higher than your (incorrect) originally tally of 15 million.

And whether or not it's fair to completely rule out Scotland because you offhandedly remark that a 'tiny percentage' go to English unis is itself another debate...

I don't buy into conspiracies of an Oxbridge-backed Northern boycott either. I do, however, think it's fairly obvious that proportionately less Northerners account for undergraduates studying at the top two universities. Everyone knows wealth inequalities exist between the North and South (in the UK - the wider world's situation is conveniently the opposite), and this obviously has a bearing on Higher Education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well the way you worded it at first wasn't slightly academically gifted lol

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability
    BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    'A' levels don't test real academic ability. Degrees do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGivingRealName)

The combined populations of the North-West, North-East, Yorkshire & Humberside, Scotland, and Northern Ireland - what we can safely call 'the North' - account for roughly 20 million people. That's closer to 33% of the population. Even taking out Scotland leaves it higher than your (incorrect) originally tally of 15 million.

And whether or not it's fair to completely rule out Scotland because you offhandedly remark that a 'tiny percentage' go to English unis is itself another debate...

I don't buy into conspiracies of an Oxbridge-backed Northern boycott either. I do, however, think it's fairly obvious that proportionately less Northerners account for undergraduates studying at the top two universities. Everyone knows wealth inequalities exist between the North and South (in the UK - the wider world's situation is conveniently the opposite), and this obviously has a bearing on Higher Education.
    Firstly, I went from the census, but my addition didn't include the North West- which was a mistake on my part- Apologies all round there. Its roughly 2.5+4.9+5+1.7 in my original calculation, or 14.1- the revised figure is actually over 20m when NW is added in.

Secondly, the point about the Scots going to English universities is far from 'off-hand'. Given that the vast majority of English courses (since they do a three year degree) require three Advanced Higher passes, then very few venture south. Infact, according to the SQA website, 159,901 people were school leavers this year, only 19,645 sat any advanced highers- 167,635 sat highers. Now, if I can find the number of those passing three advanced highers I'll post it- but the last time I seem to recall it being a small fraction of the total who sat any. Therefore, and this is backed up with application figures, well over 90% of Scottish school leavers who go to university do so in Scotland. Therefore, the 5 million Scots as part of the 'North' are a bit of a red herring statistically. Also, AHs are optional to teach at many schools- at mine, they ran in six subject areas if demand was sufficient- four of those were Sciences and one was a language (French). If you wanted to study History at Oxford from my school- you'd be in a spot of bother if Spanish was your forte and you weren't a budding scientist on the side.

In Northern Ireland, its a little different, since they sit the same A-Levels, but many of them stay relatively local- QUB has a huge proportion of home students, as does Ulster. Since both of these universities are in the south, it inevitably does put some off- as its not always the case that parents, even with the biggest bursaries around, can afford to send their kids away to university. In areas where the working class/low income proportion is the highest, you also see universities who have some of the highest proportion of local students. It seems to be acceptable to blame the North/South divide and the relative income differences on hindering access to education among those from the North- but it often isn't as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    That's very odd

I can only assume that the only thing which would have prevented an otherwise highly qualified candidate being called for interview was the HAT. It's a shame they didn't give proper feedback though.

Have you thought of reapplying?
    Well it all depends on the 20th of August . I'm worried that if I reapply then Warwick will be annoyed and not offer me a place next year (if I fail to get into Oxford again), so effectively I'll end up going nowhere good! However, if my grades were for some reason (although with English literature it's highly unlikely) excellent, then I was thinking of reapplying to Magdalen college (Oxford)... people keep suggesting Cambridge, but hmm nah.

(Original post by katierattray)
    I would never want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because im to working class lol
    But it is full of snobs.
    This is about as annoying for me to listen to as is it would be for you when people pronounce Hawick Whore-Wick

(Original post by NotGivingRealName)

While your last paragraph makes complete sense unlike most triple posted on this thread your judgement of what the North is total ********.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still pretty annoyed with myself for failing to get an offer, especially now I have my results, but I'm happy with where i'm going. Besides, there is still postgraduate to aim for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaLatte)
    just got a new labtop and keybord kinda sucks ... nd usually i dont read y all post béfore sending them an then i seem like a retard who cant spell ...
    sorry :rolleyes:
    haha, okay nvm :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    This is about as annoying for me to listen to as is it would be for you when people pronounce Hawick Whore-Wick
    Who calls it that, I hawick costa del chav. I think I have been told the wrong thing about oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of this northern thing, has anyone ever considered that the northerners maybe don't want to go down south? I'm from Kent (so very south!) but from open days and summer camps I've made a fair few friends from various parts of northern England - Chester, Yorkshire, Newcastle to name but a few - and more than one of those that are clearly eligible for consideration at oxbridge has told me that they won't be applying to oxbridge/london unis because northern universities and northerners are "more friendly" and "have a better laugh". I really don't know how true this is (I'd like to think it's not!) or how widely this opinion is held across the north, but just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeiou81)
    In terms of this northern thing, has anyone ever considered that the northerners maybe don't want to go down south? I'm from Kent (so very south!) but from open days and summer camps I've made a fair few friends from various parts of northern England - Chester, Yorkshire, Newcastle to name but a few - and more than one of those that are clearly eligible for consideration at oxbridge has told me that they won't be applying to oxbridge/london unis because northern universities and northerners are "more friendly" and "have a better laugh". I really don't know how true this is (I'd like to think it's not!) or how widely this opinion is held across the north, but just a thought...
    It's probably just that there's a tendency to stay local, pretty much everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from a very good boarding school last year. It's supposedly the best sixthform school in the world! Well anyways I didn't go. And my year 12 in the school i go to was amazing! Lots happened and it was great!

And yes i would have given anything to go to that boarding school. BUt now, I guess, not really. My school is great!

ReputationRep:
    I had a place at Cambridge for October 09 and my results were AAB so I am a Cambridge reject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    well the way you worded it at first wasn't slightly academically gifted lol

AAAA+ - is very good academic ability
    AAA - is good academic ability
    BBB - is ok ability
    CCC - is average

EDIT: this is in my opinion
    so taking more subjects, i.e. doing more work = greater academic ability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    Anyone who gets AAAAAAAA at A-Level is super-duper-clever.

Anyone who gets AAA at A-Level is a retarded recluse.

Anyone who gets AAB is a compleete and total failure.

Anyone who gets CCC deserves to be beheaded.

To use some of your logic there, son.
    lol i think its far easier, and more to the point to say that

aaa= good-very good academic ability aaaaaaa+= the same ability, just decided to choose more subjects and has the ability to focus on their school college work.

basically u cant infer that because some1 took less subjects, but got top marks in all of them, that if they had taken more their grades would be worse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.