Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is 120 beats (when resting) per minute a dangerous level?

I understand it suggests there is a problem and I will get it checked out (it's been beating strangely for days), I'm just wondering if it's an immediate emergency?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Depends.........

If it's always at 120 you've got problems lol
    If you've say come out of a hot bath and your heart's going at 120, that's fine
    If you're heart is at 60 (or w/e the rest beats per second is) and suddenly jumps to 120 for no reason at all then dies back down then you've got problems

ReputationRep:
    I would get to the doctors as soon as you can as this isnt good if it goes on for a long period, however i dont think if i can be sorted out in the short term it will do alot of damage.

Explain what is going on to the GP and they should be able to give the best diagnosis, get there as soon as you can really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, isn't that supposed to be a problem if your heart is racing all the time? But apparently you can get it fixed quite easily with surgery, or yours might not even be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    ok please describe your symtoms to me,

Is it `fluttering` , `skipping beats` or making you delerious or confused?

If any one of these it may be `ARTERIAL FIBULATION`

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say. I have trouble feeling my pulse/heart beat usually, but I just managed to work out it was doing 59 or 60 beats per 30 seconds. It is possibly making me slightly lightheaded, but it's hard to tell. My breathing seems slightly difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    It's hard to say. I have trouble feeling my pulse/heart beat usually, but I just managed to work out it was doing 59 or 60 beats per 30 seconds. It is possibly making me slightly lightheaded, but it's hard to tell. My breathing seems slightly difficult.
    Sorry not being judgemental here, but are you over weight? That could explain why your pulse rate is high. If not tell us more about your health. Any other health condition you wouldnt mind sharing?

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt you could be so out of shape that your resting HR went all the way up to 120! Most common causes of high resting HR tend to be infection - as this is often the first sign believe it or not. In fact the opposite to being out of shape can be the problem - over training syndrome can cause you to have really high resting pulse rates and feel really clapped out - I know, Ive had it... really sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been taking this from your wrist? If so, don't just take it from here. For some reason I never get an accurate reading from my wrist, I'm probably doing it wrong or something, but I seem to only get 120ish.

I started doing it from my neck and got a much more accurate reading, around 88bpm, which seems much more realistic. Feel around just above your Adam's Apple and find it there.

I'm not saying my pulse at these two areas is different, just that I can't seem to take it accurately from my wrist, it's easier for me at the neck, maybe it'll be the same for OP.

Edit: Though saying that, I just taken it from my wrist and got 89bpm ... oh well But the most important thing, relax when you are doing it! Worrying about getting a 100+ whilst doing it makes it shoot that high, breath deeply and calm yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a very high heartrate (around 120) and was always worn out very quickly, but when I asked a doctor about it he said it probably was because I have asthma (they always blame it on the asthma). Turned out my heart had been beating like mad for years, so I was given medication for it. At first it was really weird (I felt sloooow and was cold all the time), but I'm used to it now and feel a lot better. So my advice: go see a doctor, they can help you with it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.