Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so yesterday I was walking through Hyde Park and I saw two women dressed in burkas. So I thought to myself, the one to the left might be really hot.

From my ever so perceptive reflection two things dawned on me:
    The burka is not really fulfilling its purpose as I find myself distracted by a possibly, making it that much more interesting, attractive woman.
    Why is the other uninteresting woman even dressed in a burka? I would not have payed attention to her anyways.

I am not well versed with the Koran but I have come to believe that the point of the burka is to spare men from temptation (to put it far from eloquently). In my instance this completely failed.

In any case while I do respect the fact that women rigorously practising Islam wear burkas I find it pretentious for some of them to assume it to be necessary. This is a bit like some of the women at my university (Imperial, engineering). As they are scarce they act, many undeservedly, like princesses and it is quite annoying.

Should perhaps all the unattractive women be screened out in order to avoid the unneccessary. I mean we are talking about a lot of fabric that can be spared here.

On a sidenote I saw a topless man jogging past these women in the park, stopping. He said to them "If you hate this country so much why do you come here". This stopped me quick in my train of thought. Appalled I walked away

Edit: A lot of people are missing the point of the thread. It is not to discuss whether the burka is right or wrong, it is to discuss whether wearing one is pretentious. I have no interest in spawning religious debate and it is certainly not what the thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    The burqa is oppressive, unnecessary and belongs in the middle ages. It turns the woman into an object and tells her to cover herself or face the consequences, taking the onus off the man and putting it on her. This type of thinking should no longer be necessary in the 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    "I cover up because otherwise a man might look at me."

Wow, so you think we're all perverts? That's nice to know...

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt that their wearing the burka was all about you.

But this:

(Original post by Bagration)
    "I cover up because otherwise a man might look at me."

Wow, so you think we're all perverts? That's nice to know...
    is why I think the whole concept is offensive to basically everyone.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you won.
    You made Allah cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I really doubt that their wearing the burka was all about you.
    How is it not about me as a man?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really pissed off at stupid Muslims saying that the burqa/niqab/hijab is so that men don't turn into perverts. It bloody well is not. :motz:

The hijab has nothing to do with what the opposite sex (believe it or not, men have a hijab too) might think of anyone. It is to do with the man/woman's own modesty. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Let 'em wear what they want. I don't really give a **** if someone's in a nikey hoodie and I don't quite give a **** if a woman decides to wear some cloth over her head.

ReputationRep:
    Ready for the TSR Extreme Islamic Society to post billions of articles about why burkas are good?

ReputationRep:
    I have generally thought that the burka was unnecessary and excessively defensive, and demeaned women.

However I spent two months in Nepal this year and walking down the street- despite being covered completely- EVERYONE would stare at me, and a lot of men would make sleazy comments. I realise a big part of this was because I'm white but I actually really began to empathise with women wearing burkas; I can completely see how a woman would feel she needed to defend her body from inevitable sexualisation.

I still think burkas are demeaning for women to wear. However I also think it's necessary for us to think about the reasons why women would feel the need to wear them at all, and perhaps think about whether our society is also to blame. Just a thought.

Also, OP, I don't think pretentious is the right word. Maybe presumptuousness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    How is it not about me as a man?
    Well, I really doubt they care what you think. I doubt they care what most men think, I don't think 'because men will look at me' is their only or main reason for choosing to wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    I'm really pissed off at stupid Muslims saying that the burqa/niqab/hijab is so that men don't turn into perverts. It bloody well is not. :motz:

The hijab has nothing to do with what the opposite sex (believe it or not, men have a hijab too) might think of anyone. It is to do with the man/woman's own modesty. Simple as.
    While I could probably find out somewhere quickly, could you please elaborate? I might have been fed the media version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I see your point but unfortunately my standing point, although not necessarily very serious, is more aggressive accusing these women of assuming that their apparance might even tempt me/us.

ReputationRep:
    While I could probably find out somewhere quickly, could you please elaborate? I might have been fed the media version.
    Well firstly the reason for dressing modestly, whether it be the hijab or niqab or whatever the culture of that person defines it to me, is to act in accordance with what the religion teaches (or that person's understanding of it, if you want to be semantic).

Secondly, I don't know who started this ******** that it is to stop men becoming perverts - because the majority of Middle Eastern and South Asian men are the biggest perverts humanity has ever known, so clearly the burka is not doing a good job. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right so yesterday I was walking through Hyde Park and I saw two women dressed in burkas. So I thought to myself, the one to the left might be really hot.

From my ever so perceptive reflection two things dawned on me:
    The burka is not really fulfilling its purpose as I find myself distracted by a possibly, making it that much more interesting, attractive woman.
    Why is the other uninteresting woman even dressed in a burka? I would not have payed attention to her anyways.

I am not well versed with the Koran but I have come to believe that the point of the burka is to spare men from temptation (to put it far from eloquently). In my instance this completely failed.

In any case while I do respect the fact that women rigorously practising Islam wear burkas I find it pretentious for some of them to assume it to be necessary. This is a bit like some of the women at my university (Imperial, engineering). As they are scarce they act, many undeservedly, like princesses and it is quite annoying.

Should perhaps all the unattractive women be screened out in order to avoid the unneccessary. I mean we are talking about a lot of fabric that can be spared here.

On a sidenote I saw a topless man jogging past these women in the park, stopping. He said to them "If you hate this country so much why do you come here". This stopped me quick in my train of thought. Appalled I walked away
    I might as well say- when I see unattractive men walking down the street wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans I think that's really stupid, if they were naked I wouldn't care anyway, they shouldn't wear clothes'. But then I'd be missing the point right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Secondly, I don't know who started this ******** that it is to stop men becoming perverts - because the majority of Middle Eastern and South Asian men are the biggest perverts humanity has ever known, so clearly the burka is not doing a good job. :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't you say that the burka- in many cases- is caused by this in the first place? That because the men are so sleazy the women feel they need to wear a burka in defence? Obviously I'm generalising but I can't help feeling this is probably a part of it.

ReputationRep:
    But then I'd be missing the point right?
    Silly perv

ReputationRep:
    I have generally thought that the burka was unnecessary and excessively defensive, and demeaned women.

However I spent two months in Nepal this year and walking down the street- despite being covered completely- EVERYONE would stare at me, and a lot of men would make sleazy comments. I realise a big part of this was because I'm white but I actually really began to empathise with women wearing burkas; I can completely see how a woman would feel she needed to defend her body from inevitable sexualisation.

I still think burkas are demeaning for women to wear. However I also think it's necessary for us to think about the reasons why women would feel the need to wear them at all, and perhaps think about whether our society is also to blame. Just a thought.

These are very good points, I can empathise with that as a reason for feeling more comfortable covered up. And I completely agree that if women are feeling the need to wear burkas for this reason there is something wrong with society.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you say that the burka- in many cases- is caused by this in the first place? That because the men are so sleazy the women feel they need to wear a burka in defence? Obviously I'm generalising but I can't help feeling this is probably a part of it.
    That's quite a sensible thought.

ReputationRep:
    It may well be a factor, though I've never thought it from that angle (perhaps because I'm not a woman!)

That isn't the purpose of the garment, and anyone who does it wear it for that reason, imho, is missing the point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.