Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    hmm, you never seen a bus pass?
    has your picture on it, so they can tell its your pass

oh, & most uni's have photo id cards nowadays
    Only the free travel oyster cards have pictures, otherwise the adult ones don't. And even then I've never been asked to look at my oyster with my picture on it, just had to scan it for them so it's not a problem. You dig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    Only the free travel oyster cards have pictures, otherwise the adult ones don't. And even then I've never been asked to look at my oyster with my picture on it, just had to scan it for them so it's not a problem. You dig?

er, your making the assumption that somehow the entire UK population lives in London & uses the tube

strange as it may seem, thats not the case :p:

travel passes in the midlands have your piccy on them
    so do the various college & uni id cards

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.. the only problem I've heard of is with passports but even in these cases they remove the niqab from their face and take the passport photo but when their passport is requested they can ask for a female to look at theirs, such is the greatness of our country!
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edge)
    er, your making the assumption that somehow the entire UK population lives in London & uses the tube

strange as it may seem, thats not the case :p:

travel passes in the midlands have your piccy on them
    so do the various college & uni id cards
    Ok, so naturally you assumed that miss G lived outside London which was also not the case. We're both victims of assumptionisation then!

Also on the subject of id cards and stuff.. well, who cares :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Wouldn't you say that the burka- in many cases- is caused by this in the first place? That because the men are so sleazy the women feel they need to wear a burka in defence? Obviously I'm generalising but I can't help feeling this is probably a part of it.
    Or maybe the men are sleazy because of the burka? Like how their society covers up women to 'protect them from men' the men become more sleazy to any woman, covered or otherwise, in a kind of self fulfilling prophecy.

Some members of the religious authority in Mecca recently suggested that women should wear the burqa which reveals only one eye, so that they can be discouraged from seducing men with two eyes and from wearing eyemake-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    I'm really pissed off at stupid Muslims saying that the burqa/niqab/hijab is so that men don't turn into perverts. It bloody well is not. :motz:

The hijab has nothing to do with what the opposite sex (believe it or not, men have a hijab too) might think of anyone. It is to do with the man/woman's own modesty. Simple as.
    Well said. I haven't got a clue where people get these stupid ideas from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The burqa is oppressive, unnecessary and belongs in the middle ages. It turns the woman into an object and tells her to cover herself or face the consequences, taking the onus off the man and putting it on her. This type of thinking should no longer be necessary in the 21st century.

^This x10000, in bold, underlined and with lots of these: !!!!!!!!!!!!

(Original post by kashim91)
    Well said. I haven't got a clue where people get these stupid ideas from.

Well explain otherwise, its easy to say 'no thats wrong' when you dont have any proof.

''and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad) That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed.''

Its quite clearly not anything personal, its about other people and their actions.

ReputationRep:
    Burkas are sexy. Whenever I see a woman in a burka impure thoughts flood into my mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    Or maybe the men are sleazy because of the burka? Like how their society covers up women to 'protect them from men' the men become more sleazy to any woman, covered or otherwise, in a kind of self fulfilling prophecy.
    I think there's probably an element of that. Here women can dress in fairly revealing clothes and sure they'll get a few looks, but most men aren't going to start making sleazy comments. Over there maybe it's so uncommon to see a woman weaing anything even slightly revealing that loads of people will comment.

All this keeping your modesty stuff clearly is all about men perving. That's the underlying reason, in my opinion. Otherwise, why is it ok for other women to see them without it?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the topless guy. If they hate this country and complain no end, why live here? This doesn't apply to those who do like living here of course...

If you hate eating sprouts and want to blow them up, why eat them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemSevenV)
    I agree with the topless guy. If they hate this country and complain no end, why live here? This doesn't apply to those who do like living here of course...
    But how did the topless guy know she hates this country? Just because she has chosen to do things differently to mainstream british culture in one aspect doesn't mean she hates the country. I don't like football and that's a massive part of british culture. Doesn't mean I hate Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    I am not well versed with the Koran
    It is not specified in the Qur'an that a burka be worn.

Women are meant to dress conservatively. The burka may be viewed as excessive, but it is only an item of clothing. If a few people decide to wear it, why not? I doubt the level of their beauty was a factor for those women when they chose to wear it, their decisions stemming from their own desire or from their traditions. As for haughtiness and arrogance, you get that with all manners of people and it cannot be helped.

ReputationRep:
    And finally, you saying that it's ineffective since you were perving over one of the women anyway, well I hope you can understand the irony in that statement!
    Having tackled the concept of irony you should step up to the plate and give sarcasm a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    It is not specified in the Qur'an that a burka be worn.
    It is quite sad that the words of the Koran has been interpreted as to in some cases force women to wear these garments. I have always thought it being explicitly stated and subsequently fundamentally followed. I suppose this is just the image media has painted of certain fundamental muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness and Mist)
    ''and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad) That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed.''
    Firstly a reference would be helpful. Secondly, where does it is "men are perverts hence women should cover up". Nah I didn't think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The burqa is oppressive, unnecessary and belongs in the middle ages. It turns the woman into an object and tells her to cover herself or face the consequences, taking the onus off the man and putting it on her. This type of thinking should no longer be necessary in the 21st century.

um seriously, no. Do you wear a burka? i don't think so, so how would you know?

ReputationRep:
    and anyway why does everyone care so much, let people wear what they want, let them have their own beliefs, I dont see how wearing a burka can hurt someone who is NOT wearing one.

If all the white boys start having a fetish for burkas, they'll go away! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But how did the topless guy know she hates this country? Just because she has chosen to do things differently to mainstream british culture in one aspect doesn't mean she hates the country. I don't like football and that's a massive part of british culture. Doesn't mean I hate Britain.
    Damn straight +rep

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.