Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    and actually, its not about men perving all over her, the hijab/burka is so men can judge the woman on her personality and morals and not how big her ass is, how big her eyes are (basically her appearance).

ReputationRep:
    It is about modesty, not about being so vain that you think you're so hot that men just see you and want you so you have to cover up. The girls who act like princesses shouldn't be acting like that. Don't assume that just because somebody wears a hijab or burkha that they are extremely religious and should be looked at as an example of how Muslims should behave.

ReputationRep:
    Women should be free to wear whatever they wish no matter what we think, and I don't believe what Jack Straw said a few years ago was without merit. It is only natural to want to discover who is behind such ridiculous clothing (even if Christian women did wear mantillas up until 50 years ago, before the Vatican modernised).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The burqa is oppressive, unnecessary and belongs in the middle ages. It turns the woman into an object and tells her to cover herself or face the consequences, taking the onus off the man and putting it on her. This type of thinking should no longer be necessary in the 21st century.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)

Again, how do you know, have you worn the burka? have you actually bothered to ask women what its like to wear the burka and why?
    I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hialiya)
    Again, how do you know, have you worn the burka? have you actually bothered to ask women what its like to wear the burka and why?
    I think not.
    No, of course not. Nor has "Democracy". But that does not de-merit what "Democracy" said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    No, of course not. Nor has "Democracy". But that does not de-merit what "Democracy" said.
    well how can that be claimed, when you don't actually know the reason for wearing the burka, nor do you know what its like to wear the burka?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me really. I'm not the one who is walking around in public looking like a chubby ninja.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airoutmyshorts)
    Doesn't bother me really. I'm not the one who is walking around in public looking like a chubby ninja.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    a) Burqa isn't necessary in Islam
    b) It's not to spare men from temptation. Dressing modestly is to protect women from getting annoyed and stared at on the street.

ReputationRep:
    um seriously, no. Do you wear a burka? i don't think so, so how would you know?
    In that case please never ever voice your opinion on Palestine or whatever. Have you ever lived in Palestine? If not then stfu plz kthxbai.

See how your argument sucks?

Thankfully enough, it's a free country, I'm allowed to hold an educated opinion. If you don't like it, well, I can't care less

ReputationRep:
    In that case please never ever voice your opinion on Palestine or whatever. Have you ever lived in Palestine? If not then stfu plz kthxbai.

See how your argument sucks?

Thankfully enough, it's a free country, I'm allowed to hold an educated opinion. If you don't like it, well, I can't care less
    Alright then
    why do thousands of women in the UK alone revert to Islam, who are from European origin, if they knew the religion they were reverting to was oppressive?

and btw, you shouldn't base opinions on what the media portrays ,
    Kthnx.

ReputationRep:
    Alright then
    why do thousands of women in the UK alone revert to Islam, who are from European origin, if they knew the religion they were reverting to was oppressive?

and btw, you shouldn't base opinions on what the media portrays ,
    Kthnx.
    Who knows? Who cares? Often they're marrying a Muslim guy. Well whatever the reason, it doesn't make the burqa any less intrinsically oppressive.

And don't patronise me, I don't base my opinions on the media.

ReputationRep:
    Women wearing burqas are not opressed they wear it out of choice, they could just wear the hijab after all. I've seen many women who wear a burqa and are proud to wear it because they feel it's modest. If you don't believe so, why don't you ask them personally? If they were opressed by their husband or something, they blatantly have the right to divorce.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows? Who cares? Often they're marrying a Muslim guy.
    Have you done a survey?

Well whatever the reason, it doesn't make the burqa any less intrinsically oppressive.

And don't patronise me, I don't base my opinions on the media.
    Really? Most of the time its the media that make out Islam is so oppressive. Once again...Are you saying that so many people convert to the fastest growing religion in the world to be oppressed?
    Clearly you need to do your research into islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    Totally agreed. I mean, since the burqa is "oppressive" and millions of women decide to wear it out of their own free will.. they are choosing to be oppressed. Sounds realistic.

Pat on the back for you, sir.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done a survey?
    Have you?

Really? Most of the time its the media that make out Islam is so oppressive.
    I don't give a damn about the media, I make my own opinions out of what I know and believe to be true. Clearly everyone who disagrees with you has been brainwashed by the media :curious:

Once again...Are you saying that so many people convert to the fastest growing religion in the world to be oppressed?
    Haha, yeah, let's look at these millions of women who "choose" to wear the burqa or clothes similar to the burqa, the majority of them come from, erm, Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. I'm sure that they actively chose to wear it, and there was no threat of beatings and/or death if they refused :curious:

Clearly you need to do your research into islam.
    Clearly you need to stop patronising me.

ReputationRep:
    I think not.
    Asked the iranian people how they feel about the election? Asked the Tibetans personally about how they adapt to Chinese culture?

Well, obviously that means you don't know anything about any of them.

dot dot dot

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah, let's look at these millions of women who "choose" to wear the burqa or clothes similar to the burqa, the majority of them come from, erm, Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. I'm sure that they actively chose to wear it, and there was no threat of beatings and/or death if they refused :curious:
    You said the religion itself was oppressive?
    Go anywhere in the world and you will hear stories about husbands who beat their wives, or fathers who beat their kids..muslim or not.

Oh and FYI, I know plenty of people who wear the burqa who are not oppressed and who wear it proudly, out of choice.

But you know what I cant be bothered with your narrow minded opinions so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    You said the religion itself was oppressive?
    I did? When did I say this then? Give me some evidence, or pipe down.

Go anywhere in the world and you will hear stories about husbands who beat their wives, or fathers who beat their kids..muslim or not.
    Did I ever say otherwise?

Oh and FYI, I know plenty of people who wear the burqa who are not oppressed and who wear it proudly, out of choice.
    Good for you, I know millions more, entire nations of women who are forced to cover up or be beaten/killed.

But you know what I cant be bothered with your narrow minded opinions so whatever.
    Yeah, I'm narrow minded because I disagree with you :curious:

If you think about it, you're narrow minded, cause you can't accept anyone having a differing opinion to you. You a) make up things about them and b) shout them down. Bravo, hypocrite.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.