Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive never 'liked' them.. i feel that are not needed in the western society..

if a woman wants to wear it fine, thats her pergative.

My sister wanted to wear it but my mum and dad both told her the hijab is enough.. shes since just stuck with the hijab and just wears jeans, baggy tops etc thats sorta thing.

Its up to the person in question if they want to wear it but personally i dont agree with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    Having tackled the concept of irony you should step up to the plate and give sarcasm a go.
    Well you can't detect sarcasm online, I just thought you were retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    Well you can't detect sarcasm online, I just thought you were retarded.
    Fair enough, it's kind of like how sarcasm on youtube is extinct

It used to be possible

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned the burqa is isolationist and creates an unncessary devide in society. The burqa to me strikes me as an indirect way of basically say "We are Muslim, and we want nothing to do with you if you are not".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The burqa is oppressive, unnecessary and belongs in the middle ages. It turns the woman into an object and tells her to cover herself or face the consequences, taking the onus off the man and putting it on her. This type of thinking should no longer be necessary in the 21st century.
    Completely agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    Right so yesterday I was walking through Hyde Park and I saw two women dressed in burkas. So I thought to myself, the one to the left might be really hot.

From my ever so perceptive reflection two things dawned on me:
    The burka is not really fulfilling its purpose as I find myself distracted by a possibly, making it that much more interesting, attractive woman.
    Why is the other uninteresting woman even dressed in a burka? I would not have payed attention to her anyways.

I am not well versed with the Koran but I have come to believe that the point of the burka is to spare men from temptation (to put it far from eloquently). In my instance this completely failed.

In any case while I do respect the fact that women rigorously practising Islam wear burkas I find it pretentious for some of them to assume it to be necessary. This is a bit like some of the women at my university (Imperial, engineering). As they are scarce they act, many undeservedly, like princesses and it is quite annoying.

Should perhaps all the unattractive women be screened out in order to avoid the unneccessary. I mean we are talking about a lot of fabric that can be spared here.

On a sidenote I saw a topless man jogging past these women in the park, stopping. He said to them "If you hate this country so much why do you come here". This stopped me quick in my train of thought. Appalled I walked away

Because the typically Islamic countries, where the Burka is most pre-dominantly worn women often wear it so maybe they feel they are carrying on a tradition ? its no different to any other cultural garment etc. its probably just because of its appearance etc. that it is so noticeable.
    Women also find it very liberating.... and hey.... why shouldnt they wear it... its their choice

ReputationRep:
    It is true in some cases that women are forced to wear it, or wear it for the wrong reasons, but what about all those other women who genuinely choose to wear it because of a high regard of their religion, or maybe it just helps them feel closer to god. They should be able to wear the burka without having to justify themselves and constantly being scrutinised. The whole oppression argument is fair enough, becuase there are cases in some parts of the world where this happens, but it is in itself a generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    The Burkha is distinctly not Islamic. If it was, they'd be at least ONE mention in the Qu'ran or the Hadith about it, but there isn't.

It's a wahabi and salafi instrument to oppress women and haven't they fallen into the trap. Some Muslim girls CHOOSE to wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    a) Burqa isn't necessary in Islam
    b) It's not to spare men from temptation. Dressing modestly is to protect women from getting annoyed and stared at on the street.
    Agreed but there is where the pretentiousness of it comes in. Who are they to assume that they are goin to be stared it. Naturally if it comes from experience if being stared at I would understand but now we have the fact that women assume they are going to be stared at and men do not.

Is it not a bit pretentious thinking:
    "Oh if I walk down this street everyone is going to stare at me".

Now here comes the problem and is one I have overseen. I called it pretentious because I was assuming the women were thinking
    "Oh if I walk down this street everyone is going to stare at me because I am hot".

But this is not necessarily true and thus in retrospect for many of them it will not be pretentious, more precacious.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is awful the Burka.

A lot of women my way choose to wear it and I just feel sorry for them.

Liberating, what is so liberating about it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ whoever called me racist in the neg. Islam is a religion, not a race you prat.

ReputationRep:
    its for self modesty and controlling yourself - ie not wanting to be vain and flash all your bits and getting that satisfaction of being able to attract the opposite sex.

on another note, i think, as most of you are clearly uneducated in Islam, the middle east, and all things associated, you all have different ideas of what the burka actually is.

im a westerner myself and have worn a full covering on a number of occasions just to 'see' what it would be like, and oddly enough, it did feel liberating, simply because i didnt have any pervy boys checking out my rack or my bum.

of course, those who have a closed mind and are TOO used to the idea of near-nakedness being the norm, as well as those who really like the attention of horny members of the opposite sex, will never be able to comprehend the idea of covering up.

no idont think its pretentious in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed but there is where the pretentiousness of it comes in. Who are they to assume that they are goin to be stared it. Naturally if it comes from experience if being stared at I would understand but now we have the fact that women assume they are going to be stared at and men do not.

Is it not a bit pretentious thinking:
    "Oh if I walk down this street everyone is going to stare at me".

Now here comes the problem and is one I have overseen. I called it pretentious because I was assuming the women were thinking
    "Oh if I walk down this street everyone is going to stare at me because I am hot".

But this is not necessarily true and thus in retrospect for many of them it will not be pretentious, more precacious.

no it isnt about 'staring' and ogling. Women who cover up in the hijab and niqab and abaya dont assume that they are drop dead gorgeous and are gonna lure all men with their looks.

Its about our passive glances. We all assess each other on looks in the street. Guys go past girls and think "hmm nice bum" "nice tits, yeahhh" and so forth.

The point of these items of clothing, is to not give reason to that kind of thinking.

If a guy is looking at a Muslim girl in an abaya and niqab and he is still wondering what goodies she has under there, well thats natural and cant be helped, but, in her eyes, at least she has done all she can to at least TRY and deter any attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    no it isnt about 'staring' and ogling. Women who cover up in the hijab and niqab and abaya dont assume that they are drop dead gorgeous and are gonna lure all men with their looks.

Its about our passive glances. We all assess each other on looks in the street. Guys go past girls and think "hmm nice bum" "nice tits, yeahhh" and so forth.

The point of these items of clothing, is to not give reason to that kind of thinking.

If a guy is looking at a Muslim girl in an abaya and niqab and he is still wondering what goodies she has under there, well thats natural and cant be helped, but, in her eyes, at least she has done all she can to at least TRY and deter any attention.
    ^ Spot on :yep:

You could say they are trying to ward off any potential male attention to preserve their chastity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    ^ Spot on :yep:

You could say they are trying to ward off any potential male attention to preserve their chastity.
    So to stop men perving then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    So to stop men perving then?
    In a sense, yes. I would think that they'd have other reasons for wearing it though.

And yet, from what I'd observed when I'd lived in a certain country in the Middle East: the men there were atrocious perverts. A man would fiercely guard his wife and daughters in public- all covered from head to toe- begrudging any man who dared to look at them. And all the while his own eyes wandered, eagerly undressing any females that walked past... Perhaps it is really a fear that all men are perverts which may be their motive? :rolleyes: I do not know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Muslim and I hate women in burqas. Who's going to attract more attention walking down a street in England, a modestly-dressed woman in jeans and a t-shirt or a woman who's swathed herself in a great big black cloak? Women who wear burqas in this country just attract attention to themselves, it makes me sick. I disagree with the burqa anyway, but people who wear it in a country such as this are just attention-seeking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-lover)
    The Burkha is distinctly not Islamic. If it was, they'd be at least ONE mention in the Qu'ran or the Hadith about it, but there isn't.

It's a wahabi and salafi instrument to oppress women and haven't they fallen into the trap. Some Muslim girls CHOOSE to wear it.
    This.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.