Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh my good lord. I completed my first HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session this afternoon. I have never felt so ill after a session before in my life. And all I did was 6 x 30 second sprints, and 6 x 60 second jogs!

Anyone else feel like sharing their HIIT experiences, if only to make myself feel a little bit better?

ReputationRep:
    weak boi

ReputationRep:
    Keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    This is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    When I changed my routine the other day, it felt like my legs were about to drop off...good stuff

ReputationRep:
    I did my first HIIT yesterday. Didn't go too badly. Did 30 second sprints at 11km/hr on the treadmill, followed by 60 seconds jog at 8km/hr for 15 mins, and the same intervals on a spinning machine for about 5mins.

its really tough, but I'm feeling good today on my rest day. I was out of breath for a good 5-10 mins after though! Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ourkid)
    Did 30 second sprints at 11km/hr on the treadmill
    11k is as fast as you could go? I consider myself a beginner in the fitness arena but I would have thought something like 16k+ would have been sprinting as I run steady/fast at about 13.5k.

Not knocking you, just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't puked, you're doing it wrong.

But don't listen to me, I've never done HIIT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    11k is as fast as you could go? I consider myself a beginner in the fitness arena but I would have thought something like 16k+ would have been sprinting as I run steady/fast at about 13.5k.

Nah not as fast as I could go, but I thought I'd start first day just achieving the overall time + intervals... Will be working that up a lot more over the coming weeks and months!

ReputationRep:
    That is how HIIT makes you lose weight; you puke away all the calories you consumed prior. Then you're too sick to eat anything afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Nah not as fast as I could go, but I thought I'd start first day just achieving the overall time + intervals... Will be working that up a lot more over the coming weeks and months!
    Ah right, good luck then m8

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, and the same to you!

ReputationRep:
    I did my first HIIT yesterday. Didn't go too badly. Did 30 second sprints at 11km/hr on the treadmill, followed by 60 seconds jog at 8km/hr for 15 mins, and the same intervals on a spinning machine for about 5mins.

its really tough, but I'm feeling good today on my rest day. I was out of breath for a good 5-10 mins after though! Well done.
    (Original post by Redefined)

Was going to say that is a slow sprint

Is that what the number on the treadmill shows ? km/h?

Its probably worth doing these sprints outside. Cant do it properly on a treadmill..

Regardless well done all. First is always the worst!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    Was going to say that is a slow sprint

Is that what the number on the treadmill shows ? km/h?

Its probably worth doing these sprints outside. Cant do it properly on a treadmill..

Regardless well done all. First is always the worst!
    Hmm, it just has a number... I can do 2.00 of these arbitrary units, whatever they may be in 14-15 minutes, so it sounds like km to me.

Yeah I should try pushing it, I guess sprint was the wrong word :p:

I did do 20 minutes of cross trainer intervals yesterday, and that was KILLER! felt awesome though.

Doing fartlek training outside is even harder though lol, that'll definitely make me yak!

ReputationRep:
    Well you shouldn't feel like **** after doing it - only while you are doing it. Feeling bad after it (by after I mean an hour) is probably because you were not fit enough for such a session yet - maybe reduce your efforts on the sprints or the number of repetitions.

ReputationRep:
    600m in 2:12
    200m half pace recovery.
    Repeat 6 times.
    One lap recovery.
    Rinse & Repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    Well you shouldn't feel like **** after doing it - only while you are doing it. Feeling bad after it (by after I mean an hour) is probably because you were not fit enough for such a session yet - maybe reduce your efforts on the sprints or the number of repetitions.
    After effects show you are maxing out. As long as it doesn't last for days afterwards its fine.
    Just keep at it and the after-effects will go as your fitness increases. Then its time to increase the burn again.
    If I don't feel Intervals the day after I know I haven't worked hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    600m in 2:12
    200m half pace recovery.
    Repeat 6 times.
    One lap recovery.
    Rinse & Repeat.
    4 sets of 4 x 200m @ sub35
    30 secs between reps
    4 minutes between sets.

Thats a nasty. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    After effects show you are maxing out. As long as it doesn't last for days afterwards its fine.
    Just keep at it and the after-effects will go as your fitness increases. Then its time to increase the burn again.
    If I don't feel Intervals the day after I know I haven't worked hard enough.
    You always feel the effects from 24 hours after (DOMS) but one hour after you shouldn't "feel" anything.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how long it will take the OP to get injured.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.