Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is where they deliberatly power up enemies as you power up, anyone agree?

A big example is oblivion, but its frequent in other rpg's as well.

Whilst RPG's like final fantasy 7, you get to feel the power up where you can go back and fight the weak enemies with ease.

ReputationRep:
    This is a good thing in Oblivion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neobam)
    is where they deliberatly power up enemies as you power up, anyone agree?

A big example is oblivion, but its frequent in other rpg's as well.

Whilst RPG's like final fantasy 7, you get to feel the power up where you can go back and fight the weak enemies with ease.
    I completely agree... this is why you should play Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind :yes:

A far superior game. That or download the mod that stops this for Oblivion

ReputationRep:
    I find having a lead male who looks and acts like a 12 year old girl a big problem with JRPGs!

But yes I do agree it is boring when enemies scale as there is no incentive to actually become a super awesomly powered demi god.

Final Fantasy VII = Greatest game ever!

ReputationRep:
    I like the continual challenge, but there is a limit, especially if you are playing a weaker style character. If it weren't for the fact I can turn invisible and sneak better than anyone in the game, Oblivion might actually be a lot harder.

That said, it's really annoying going back to a beginner area and having to fight your way through hordes of really weak monsters. Just frustrating. I think FFVIII's system was good. It was a tertiary system. Enemies had a general level in response to yours. They got stronger when you became level 20, then level 50 then level 70 or something like that. It meant you'd always have a challenge but you'd also find the enemies would get easier after a while. Really made it feel like you were progressing and becoming stronger without making the beginning areas too easy.

ReputationRep:
    it almost ruins the game, since powering up isnt that important or vital.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest problem with RPGs is the length of time required to get anywhere in it. I don't have that much time to dedicate to gaming. :sad:

The best RPG of all time was Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Harder enemies = more exp. The biggest problem with RPG's is the time consuming side imo. If everybody who played an RPG or and MMO totalled up all their time they spent power farming, I wouldn't be surprised if it was staggering.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The way Fallout 3 played was much better.

ReputationRep:
    yep am aware of the oblivion mod, unfortenatly I am still paying thru my xbox360 copy of game which cannot be modded. I plan to then play it again on the pc modded.

I do have morrowmind for the pc sitting here unopened, does this not scale enemies then? if so that sounds great.

ReputationRep:
    Oblivion is a bit of a crap example, to be honest, where the levelling formulae would make many opponents much stronger than you unless you were playing as a warrior-type character. Magic- and Stealth-oriented characters suffered as a result, being useless in combat after a couple of level-ups. It was an open world with an extremely wide-ranging number of ways of playing the game and gaining experience to level up. Someone mentioned Fallout 3, where the system does work a bit better, but let's face it, there is so much combat in Fallout 3 that the issue faced by Oblivion characters who were naturally less geared towards combat is naturally resolved; also, with Fallout 3's combat being rather gun-heavy you can stay away from opponents and hide behind cover so even weak characters can win in a fight against a much stronger foe by ducking behind cover and repeatedly popping out, shooting and popping back in. The melee-heavy combat of Oblivion meant that lower strength and lower endurance almost automatically meant you were going to be a corpse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Oblivion is a bit of a crap example, to be honest, where the levelling formulae would make many opponents much stronger than you unless you were playing as a warrior-type character. Magic- and Stealth-oriented characters suffered as a result, being useless in combat after a couple of level-ups. It was an open world with an extremely wide-ranging number of ways of playing the game and gaining experience to level up. Someone mentioned Fallout 3, where the system does work a bit better, but let's face it, there is so much combat in Fallout 3 that the issue faced by Oblivion characters who were naturally less geared towards combat is naturally resolved; also, with Fallout 3's combat being rather gun-heavy you can stay away from opponents and hide behind cover so even weak characters can win in a fight against a much stronger foe by ducking behind cover and repeatedly popping out, shooting and popping back in. The melee-heavy combat of Oblivion meant that lower strength and lower endurance almost automatically meant you were going to be a corpse.
    Or you do what I do and turn invisible after every single ******* hit and just sit and wait them out and sneak attack for 6x damage!

Makes every fight last a lifetime, though. Has really put me off the game.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like Oblivion's system. It means you have to make the most out of each level by using your minor skills and avoiding using your major skills. If you don't, you level up but your stats don't increase enough to keep up with the enemies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.