Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I am about to start my first year at Southern Methodist University(a top tier private university in the US) and I want to apply to Oxford for admission in 2010. I plan to apply for PPE, and I wanted to see what current students think of my chances based on my qualifications.

In High school, I did quite well on the ACT, with near perfect scores in English, Reading, and Science, all in the 99th scoring percentile. However, on math I was only in the 86th percentile, with a score of 26.

On the SAT I received a 740/800 in critical reading, a 680 in writing, and a 560 in math

The big problem is that I only took 1 ap test, receiving a 3. I'm hoping that a year of college study here in the US will make up for the deficiencies in AP Testing and Mathematics.

This fall term I will be taking Honors Rhetoric, Chinese, Economics, Wellness, Introduction to International Relations, and Precalculus. In the spring term I will continue with Honors Rhetoric and Chinese, as well as taking Macro or Microeconomics, Business Calculus, and a course in statistics, politics, or philosophy. Do you think these courses as a whole will make up for AP testing, and will precalculus and business calculus make up for the rather average mathematics scores?

I expect to receive a GPA of close to 4.0 this year at university, and I think I can do quite well on the Personal Statement and TSA. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford doesn't look favourably on transfer students. It would be far better to complete your degree at SMU (or elsewhere) and apply as a graduate student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    This fall term I will be taking Honors Rhetoric, Chinese, Economics, Wellness, Introduction to International Relations, and Precalculus. In the spring term I will continue with Honors Rhetoric and Chinese, as well as taking Macro or Microeconomics, Business Calculus, and a course in statistics, politics, or philosophy. Do you think these courses as a whole will make up for AP testing, and will precalculus and business calculus make up for the rather average mathematics scores?

Lolwut?

(Original post by OrmondDrone)
    Oxford doesn't look favourably on transfer students. It would be far better to complete your degree at SMU (or elsewhere) and apply as a graduate student.
    This. Oxford and Cambridge will not accept applications from students who are registered on other courses and who won't complete that course before enrolling.

You also don't meet the university's entrance requirements as far as AP tests go as they are looking for three subjects with at least two at grade 5. Many candidates offer four or five subjects at grade 5.

Sorry, but I'd say your chances are nil for transferring at the end of your first year (or any year before graduating).

ReputationRep:
    Get a GPA of 3.7 and do your mphil/msc there, your doing well at your current institution so stay at it.

I wanted to apply to American unis whilst at Uni here in London but it wasn't reccomemdable so I'm going to apply for postgrad in International Relations/Economic history/Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Get a GPA of 3.7 and do your mphil/msc there, your doing well at your current institution so stay at it.
    He's not even started his degree - he's anticipating getting a 4.0 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As others have said Oxford don't accept transfer students - i.e. you can't go into your 2nd year here. In a tiny number of examples they will accept people for their first year based on a situation like yours but really you've completely ignored the biggest thing that they would try to assess you on. They don't care about GPA or SATs - and they can't hope to compare you to other candidates without AP scores. I would go as far as to say if you're not prepared to come to the UK for interview then there's no point in applying. If you're lucky then I guess they might consider you if they can actually meet you and talk to you face to face - but then you're talking about interviewing here after you've been at college for a matter of months and have yet to prove yourself.

To be perfectly honest OP I think you're looking at a pipe dream: applying to an institution without having made the minimum required offer and leaving them no way of comparing you to the 8 other people competing for the place that you want. Even with a phenomenal statement and references, what would you do in their situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Oxford and Cambridge will not accept applications from students who are registered on other courses and who won't complete that course before enrolling.
    This isn't true. It's not the most common route of application but it happens.

I don't think the OP is asking about transferring (which as has been said is not permitted), I think he's just asking about starting from the beginning of the course.

As has been said, your school-leaving qualifications do not really meet the specified entrance requirements. If you're intent on applying I'd think about taking other courses instead of those which aren't really relevant to PPE - Wellness and Honours Rhetoric aren't going to help your application. Take some more APs if you have the opportunity.

I have to say, though, I agree with the suggestion to stick with your current degree and consider postgrad work here.

(Original post by Teebs)
    Lolwut?
    Well what you do expect from somewhere that names its new library after George W. Bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    Hey everyone, I am about to start my first year at Southern Methodist University(a top tier private university in the US) and I want to apply to Oxford for admission in 2010. I plan to apply for PPE, and I wanted to see what current students think of my chances based on my qualifications.

In High school, I did quite well on the ACT, with near perfect scores in English, Reading, and Science, all in the 99th scoring percentile. However, on math I was only in the 86th percentile, with a score of 26.

On the SAT I received a 740/800 in critical reading, a 680 in writing, and a 560 in math

The big problem is that I only took 1 ap test, receiving a 3. I'm hoping that a year of college study here in the US will make up for the deficiencies in AP Testing and Mathematics.

I expect to receive a GPA of close to 4.0 this year at university, and I think I can do quite well on the Personal Statement and TSA. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
    Why is it that you want to go to Oxford. Have you looked at other unis in the UK?

Hull is pretty much on par with Oxford - you should look into them as they may be more lenient with your situation.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will definitely still apply, I may try taking SAT Subject tests in US History, World History, English, and Mathematics this October to boost my credentials, but obviously those would just be predicted grades.

Concerning Wellness and Honours Rhetoric, they are required courses for all Freshman students at SMU. Honours Rhetoric is just a fancy name for a class in place of the standard English class, and Wellness is just one of those classes they make every one take... not like I chose to take it.

As for why I want to go to Oxford, obviously it's one of the top universities in the world. I like the UK system of 3 years of study focused specifically on your course more than than the American Liberal Arts system of 4 years, filled with all these classes like Wellness, and forcing everyone to take the same classes and a number of irrelevant electives. I mean, I am a Business major that is going to have to take a class in Archaeology to fulfill a science requirement. I also like the element of independent study at Oxford.

As for other universities in the UK, I have looked into them, and I will probably apply to LSE and UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    As for other universities in the UK, I have looked into them, and I will probably apply to LSE and UCL.
    What course are you planning to appy to at these unis?

If it's straight economics they will likely take one look at your maths scores and throw away your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Well what you do expect from somewhere that names its new library after George W. Bush.
    Those are freshman requirements at many US Universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    What course are you planning to appy to at these unis?

If it's straight economics they will likely take one look at your maths scores and throw away your application.
    For UCL it probably will be Economics, for LSE probably International Relations. I will be taking Precalculus, Business Calculus, and an SAT Subject Test in Mathematics, do you think they would possible make a conditional offer based on results received in those? I know I can do well in math, the low test scores were due to a change in schools when I moved to a different city, that caused me to take those tests before I had studied Geometry. Also in my high school a lot of the math courses were taught by football coaches, or people who otherwise had no interest in teaching math, so it was hardly the best learning environment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    For UCL it probably will be Economics, for LSE probably International Relations. I will be taking Precalculus, Business Calculus, and an SAT Subject Test in Mathematics, do you think they would possible make a conditional offer based on results received in those? I know I can do well in math, the low test scores were due to a change in schools when I moved to a different city, that caused me to take those tests before I had studied Geometry. Also in my high school a lot of the math courses were taught by football coaches, or people who otherwise had no interest in teaching math, so it was hardly the best learning environment..
    I don't want to dash your hopes, but LSE are big on Maths and they are brutal in their applications. Unlike Oxford, who interview everyone so can be more lenient, LSE just take the top whatever-% grades-wise and as far as I can see don't take much notice of extenuating circumstances unless they're serious (e.g. time off school with glandular fever or something). By all means apply, but be conscious of the fact that batting your eyelids and saying but it wasn't my fault is likely to carry very little weight with them regardless of whether or not it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know it's definitely a long shot, but if I don't apply I can't get accepted. I definitely won't make mention of why my math scores are low on the personal statement, but would it be appropriate to mention the steps I am taking to improve them, such as the classes this year at SMU?

The SAT Subject tests are October 10th. I know I can do well on English Literature, US History, and World History, those kinds of tests I have always received top scores in. Math will be more of a challenge but hopefully I can show that I've improved that score by quite a bit.

World History I will actually have to wait until December to take, but for the ones taken October 10th, the scores are released on October 29th, so they will be able to factor those scores into the decision to grant an interview, correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    Yeah, I know it's definitely a long shot, but if I don't apply I can't get accepted. I definitely won't make mention of why my math scores are low on the personal statement, but would it be appropriate to mention the steps I am taking to improve them, such as the classes this year at SMU?

The SAT Subject tests are October 10th. I know I can do well on English Literature, US History, and World History, those kinds of tests I have always received top scores in. Math will be more of a challenge but hopefully I can show that I've improved that score by quite a bit.

World History I will actually have to wait until December to take, but for the ones taken October 10th, the scores are released on October 29th, so they will be able to factor those scores into the decision to grant an interview, correct?
    You won't be able to put the scores on your UCAS. Your application must be submitted by October 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    You won't be able to put the scores on your UCAS. Your application must be submitted by October 15.

Yes but as long as I have them sent by SAT to Oxford on October 29th they will be factored in, correct? My application will read scores pending, but they will receive the scores quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wr10)
    Yes but as long as I have them sent by SAT to Oxford on October 29th they will be factored in, correct? My application will read scores pending, but they will receive the scores quickly.
    I can only tell you that I don't know how much weight Oxford gives SAT subject scores, that they might only get paper scores, in which case they wouldn't get them until after the 6th of November, in which case you would have taken your written test by then, which I do know does factor into your decision to get an interview . I'm sure there are people who know more about this me who will probably tell me to GTFO.

*Leaves thread so those people can take over*

ReputationRep:
    I thought Oxford only looked at Americans who had AP exams? I certainly hope they don't take scores from mulitple choice exams like SATs as sufficient.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.