Turn on thread page Beta

Creative Writing to be added to Higher English course watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news...glish_exam.php

Robert Quinn, from the SQA's qualifications development team, said the reintroduction of creative writing as an externally marked element of the exam would take place in the spring of next year, with the first certificates being issued in 2011.
    Do you think that means that next year we'll do it but it won't matter?

ReputationRep:
    Omg what? :zomg:

Maybe they're getting rid of the critical essay paper...they better ******* be. And a folio? Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    what so this year.... or next years?

ReputationRep:
    It says the fist certificate will be issues in 2011 and you guys get next year in 2010 so I think yous are lucky and just miss it :p:

ReputationRep:
    wow, thank god I missed it. I feel for my brother though who's just starting S3, he hates creative writing. If it's in the form of a folio, I personally don't think it's fair for it to all be creative writing, which would make the marking evenmore subjective, it should be more like the SG folio or external writing exam in which you can write in a range of genres.

Higher English shouldn't test your imagination. (By the way I'm not saying that you shouldn't be rewarded for creative writing, just that there should me more choice, including discursive writing, personal/reflective writing/essays on a relevant subject, though not necessarily a piece of literature)

[/rant]

ReputationRep:
    Scratch that.

Too bad none of us will do it :ninja: I think they're trying to make Scottish literature compulsory too. Hah, imagine if they made us do 3 exams :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, just missed it then. Going into 5th year soon...

ReputationRep:
    Oh riggghhttt, that's why my english teacher had past higher english writing story things :mmm: Just as long as if they don't bring in a talking element...

Lucky. Would have made my life so much easier :p:

ReputationRep:
    I like Creative Writing. I think if I had done it my English grade would have been significantly improved, never mind, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Dammit I love Creative Writing. This would have made the course just so much better :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I loved creative writing when I was at school, which is why I did Advanced Higher, and thoroughly enjoyed the creative writing folio. I think creative writing really helps students to appreciate literature and develops a deeper understanding, as they are more able to see the literature from the writer's point of view.
    Excellent times.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    not convinced this is a good move, although i can't quite think of a decent reason why! 30% is a lot of your grade for something which is quite difficult to teach and which some have a very natural flair for

ReputationRep:
    This has been a long time coming, it's ridiculous that the current higher had nothing like this in it. How can you possibly be fully tested for your flair for English if you don't have to.. well, show off your flair for English :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to write one of my many melancholic poems and depress the marker...:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    That's ******* ********!!! I can't believe I manage to miss it! I couldn't write critical essays if my life depended on it but I can easily ace creative writing. I can guarantee I end up failing Higher English next year and retake it in 6th year to end up getting an A. It's totally unfair that I should get a completely different grade in the same subject just because I'm better in another area of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    This has been a long time coming, it's ridiculous that the current higher had nothing like this in it. How can you possibly be fully tested for your flair for English if you don't have to.. well, show off your flair for English :p:
    Totally with you on this one, and I'm incredibly jealous of my younger sister! They'll have it so much easier than us plus I loved creative writing at SG, the higher course would have been much more interesting if it had included it.

Oh well, at least I got an A in the end :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    That's ******* ********!!! I can't believe I manage to miss it! I couldn't write critical essays if my life depended on it but I can easily ace creative writing. I can guarantee I end up failing Higher English next year and retake it in 6th year to end up getting an A. It's totally unfair that I should get a completely different grade in the same subject just because I'm better in another area of the course.
    I know :sad: Unless we fail a NAB and get moved down to Int 2 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I know :sad: Unless we fail a NAB and get moved down to Int 2 :awesome:
    That would suck even more for me considering I just took Int 2 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    That would suck even more for me considering I just took Int 2 :p:
    You did? What did you get for SG?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.