Turn on thread page Beta

Creative Writing to be added to Higher English course watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the addition of Creative Writing will make it easier, I reckon it would probably be harder. Assuming it's part of the external exam, writing creativley on an unseen question would be a lot tougher than writing an essay on a book you've studied for a couple of months. I think something like the SG writing exam, where it's not just creative writing but discursive writing, personal/reflective writing as well would be a better option, whilst rewarding those that are talented at creative writing, whilst not punishsing those who have no imagination (such as myself)

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy I've missed it. I found English difficult enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the addition of Creative Writing will make it easier, I reckon it would probably be harder. Assuming it's part of the external exam, writing creativley on an unseen question would be a lot tougher than writing an essay on a book you've studied for a couple of months. I think something like the SG writing exam, where it's not just creative writing but discursive writing, personal/reflective writing as well would be a better option, whilst rewarding those that are talented at creative writing, whilst not punishsing those who have no imagination (such as myself)
    I'm sure that some SG exam questions involve creative writing, like short stories etc.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you that there should be different options.

But it's not about making it easier, it's about making it a fairer assessment of English skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    You did? What did you get for SG?
    I didn't do standard grade. Our school does Int 2 in place of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I didn't do standard grade. Our school does Int 2 in place of it.
    Hang on...what did you do then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    I'm sure that some SG exam questions involve creative writing, like short stories etc.
    I know, that's why I said "not just creative writing"

(Original post by Meteorshower)

I agree with you that there should be different options.

But it's not about making it easier, it's about making it a fairer assessment of English skills.
    I know, I was just debating the point where some people said they'd have found English a lot easier had this been introduced, I don't mind if it makes it harder, because like you said(if the SQA implememt it properly and don't make creative writing compulsory but optional), it will help test a range of skills.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on...what did you do then?
    Int 2... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Int 2... :confused:
    Sooo, you're picking it again? Or, have you fallen victim to my weak brain power? EDIT: Sorry, I thought you ment you just took Int 2, as in redoing the course, woops

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, you're picking it again? Or, have you fallen victim to my weak brain power? EDIT: Sorry, I thought you ment you just took Int 2, as in redoing the course, woops
    Haha, no problem! It was my fault, I worded it awkwardly.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was just debating the point where some people said they'd have found English a lot easier had this been introduced, I don't mind if it makes it harder, because like you said(if the SQA implememt it properly and don't make creative writing compulsory but optional), it will help test a range of skills.
    Oh, I think they just meant easy for them.

Higher English is manageable without that much work if you are pretty good at English already, but it would probably be ridiculously easy for the same people if all they were supposed to all year was "work on their writing skills".

But that's not necessarily a bad thing!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no problem! It was my fault, I worded it awkwardly.
    Aweeee :hugs: We can suffer through english together :awesome: But, we need other new S5 students to join...

ReputationRep:
    Aweeee :hugs: We can suffer through english together :awesome: But, we need other new S5 students to join...
    I've just realized something. Most of the main posters in this section of the site are either in 6th year or leaving school. This forum isn't going to be as fun anymore

ReputationRep:
    I've just realized something. Most of the main posters in this section of the site are either in 6th year or leaving school. This forum isn't going to be as fun anymore
    I know I feel like a baby, Lol.

ReputationRep:
    I know I feel like a baby, Lol.
    Aww :p:

*pats luhlah on head*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Aww :p:

*pats luhlah on head*
    I've had to endure a year of people telling me that my standard grades are pointless and that I should be worrying about highers. If anything, you can give me valium.

ReputationRep:
    We have been doing it in Ireland for our Leaving Cert for quite some time..

We feel your pain Its disastrous

ReputationRep:
    I've had to endure a year of people telling me that my standard grades are pointless and that I should be worrying about highers. If anything, you can give me valium.
    Do you mean on here? If so, I haven't noticed that much :confused:

That'll sort out the men from the boys :yep:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.