Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading Amartya Sen's latest book 'The Idea of Justice' a very rewarding read, I must add.

However, I digress from a the point I originally wanted to make.

I was walking home from the pub, on Wednesday, after a few beers, and excellent shish kebab and some excellent conversation. My route takes me through and industrial estate and a supermarket car park.

En route, I come across two girls, no more than 14 who look cold, miserable and clearly not happy to be where they are. I suspect some kind of serious drug problem also.

Well they proceed to offer me services of a sexual nature in return for £15. I make my excuses and leave.

I just wanted to make the point that I believe what I witnesses was true injustice. People should not have to feel the need to sell themselves in a prosperous 21st century society.

I walked home, feeling angry about the tragedy of it all. Should I have done something?

ReputationRep:
    Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    It depends. What do you think you could have done? If it was me personally in your shoes I would have thought about offering them a roof and a floor for the night (if i had the room). Only if I was certain they posed minimal threat to both me and themselves. I probably would have given them the rest of the shish kabab too, but aside from that its difficult to truly offer help to someone in that situation. Maybe I would have directed them to a homeless shelter? Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Liverpool. That kind of thing happened to me a few times.

I myself have had to sell my body just to get by. I had to do it because there was no other way I could have survived and I would rather sell my body than beg for food. The situation was desperate.

You might think that this kind of thing should not happen in a society such as ours, but, what a society! Come to Liverpool, I tell you.

Here you will see kids as young as 13 walk around the streets drinking alcohol and smoking weed. You will find children as young as 10 ask you to go into the shop for cigarettes and drink.

The reality is that this kind of thing does happen...all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    I've been reading Amartya Sen's latest book 'The Idea of Justice' a very rewarding read, I must add.

I was walking home from the pub, on Wednesday, after a few beers, and excellent shish kebab and some excellent conversation. My route takes me through and industrial estate and a supermarket car park.

En route, I come across two girls, no more than 14 who look cold, miserable and clearly not happy to be where they are. I suspect some kind of serious drug problem also.

Well they proceed to offer me services of a sexual nature in return for £15. I make my excuses and leave.

I just wanted to make the point that I believe what I witnesses was true injustice. People should not have to feel the need to sell themselves in a prosperous 21st century society.

I walked home, feeling angry about the tragedy of it all. Should I have done something?
    I need to get that book, it sounds interesting.

Regarding the situation in question, it's very sad to hear, though it's difficult to see what you could have done (bar given them some money and told them to buy food or something, but all probability would have resulted in the money being spent on drugs).

I think in the past 30 years the systematic dismantling of welfare support has led to some very serious problems in our society, and I worry for the future of some children, people with no future, no access to a decent education, lack of proper family support, decent housing, who are likely to bring up their own kids in the same environment.

It makes me very sad to see

ReputationRep:

Now this is the nature of the materialistic "modern" society!

It's sad, but it's true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Go to Liverpool. That kind of thing happened to me a few times.

I myself have had to sell my body just to get by. I had to do it because there was no other way I could have survived and I would rather sell my body than beg for food. The situation was desperate.

You might think that this kind of thing should not happen in a society such as ours, but, what a society! Come to Liverpool, I tell you.

Here you will see kids as young as 13 walk around the streets drinking alcohol and smoking weed. You will find children as young as 10 ask you to go into the shop for cigarettes and drink.

The reality is that this kind of thing does happen...all the time.
    That kind of stuff happens in every city so I don't understand why you specified Liverpool to such an extent? You have tried to make it sound like some kind of Dickensian nightmare:confused:

ReputationRep:

Being honest I would not have done a thing. I would of continued on my way. I might have been inquisitive about the situation but not enough to hang about the place with the potential to be mugged/killed etc etc etc.

To the guy who said he would give them some room in his place - honestly?? I really can't believe anybody would run such a risk for themselves. They might potentially be part of some kind of 'honeytrap' type thing. They might cry rape, they might not leave your house, they might start harrasing you. Of course directing them to the nearest homeless shelter is a nice gesture:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    That kind of stuff happens in every city so I don't understand why you specified Liverpool to such an extent? You have tried to make it sound like some kind of Dickensian nightmare:confused:
    Well, I cannot comment on every city in the country, can I?

Liverpool...because that is where I've spent the last 7 years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.