Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Racism In Youth watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First off, by "youth" I mean around about 7 - 14.
    The past two days I've been taking some notice as to what some of the younger persons around my area have been saying and I was rather surprised at how many racist remarks there actually were; A lot of them were said in a non-offensive gesture and just generally in conversation, yet some other times they would actually use the "N" word as they seen a person who they believed to be suited to the word. It did rather shock me to be honest, but it makes me wonder where they get this attitude from. Is it their parents, friends or what? Obviously if your parents are racist and express it infront of their child(ren) then the child(ren) consequently could believe this to be right and 'normal', but on the other hand, I've watched a bit of T.V for the first time in a very long while recently and on the news I seen a fair bit about other races in the country along with the 'harm' they are doing, whether this is true or not is a different story, but upon seeing this, this could ultimately be a reason as to why the children become racist seeing as that's all they could possibly see about other races, the worst of them at least.

I personally am not going to get into any dicsussion about racism or race in any way, shape, or form; It never end well to say the least, I just would like to know your opinions on this to be honest. One of the children I seen saying racist remarks was actually 7 years old. It's just shocking, that's all I can describe it as personally.

ReputationRep:
    They could have been using the 'version' with an 'a'. It is quite often used in rap and the suchlike.

ReputationRep:
    When I was little I asked my mum if that man was made of choclate.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a bit of it where I live, but it was subtle and very surprising. The children seem so focused on the skin colour of other children. I've seen children tell another child, "Oh, but you're black/asian/sikh/white and refuse to play with them.

I suppose the home environment has a lot to do with along with television. *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    A boy used to call me chocolate girl in Primary school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    A boy used to call me chocolate girl in Primary school
    because you're sweet?

ReputationRep:
    See i can see what you mean about saying racist things in general conversation, and i kinda guilty of this one. This is 'cos since ive been about 12 the shop near me has always been referred to as the 'p*ki shop' because its run by pakistani people. It sounds really racist, but sometimes people say these things because they have been so used to using them for a number of years. Turns out the people at the shop are really nice, always chatting with you about stuff like exams, college, sport and they are actually better than the previous tenants who ran the shop, and they were all white, and somewhat miserable.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    What I find strange is that I've often heard 'paki' used by people in general discussion in the street or by peers, but nobody dares to utter 'n*gger'.

ReputationRep:
    You could have asked if he's made of poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    You could have asked if he's made of poo.
    Don't be silly, being made out of poo is obviously impossible.

ReputationRep:
    i get racist remarks to me all the time, even from adults. What makes it worse is that I have had both my legs amputated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukerchenko)
    i get racist remarks to me all the time, even from adults. What makes it worse is that I have had both my legs amputated.
    How would they know? I mean, to be honest, most British people prone to racism couldn't distinguish between a slav and a German from facial features or perhaps even from accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm not racist but I find the fact that almost any racism towards white people is completely ignored but the reverse of that is frowned upon heavily a little bit annoying and maybe even racist :O
    This argument is old and tired, do you have any actual examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meekle72)
    See i can see what you mean about saying racist things in general conversation, and i kinda guilty of this one. This is 'cos since ive been about 12 the shop near me has always been referred to as the 'p*ki shop' because its run by pakistani people. It sounds really racist, but sometimes people say these things because they have been so used to using them for a number of years. Turns out the people at the shop are really nice, always chatting with you about stuff like exams, college, sport and they are actually better than the previous tenants who ran the shop, and they were all white, and somewhat miserable.
    You seem surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    What I find strange is that I've often heard 'paki' used by people in general discussion in the street or by peers, but nobody dares to utter 'n*gger'.
    Erm, because N***** is a derogatory term and 'Paki' is just an abbreviation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Erm, because N***** is a derogatory term and 'Paki' is just an abbreviation?
    It's almost always used in an offensive and derogatory way, when I've heard it anyway.

I.e. when it's been shouted at me from passing by cars.

One time I was on a train and there were 3 young kids, like single-figure age - and they kept shouting the 'n' word at any black person that went past them. But they were also swearing loads and playing music loud and generally being filthy human beings.

But that's the only instance I can think of, of someone that young being racist. Then again, I don't see many really young kids, I try to avoid them at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    In my area there are soooo many little kids acting like this its unreal. I think they just copy one another because its 'cool'. Most of them dont even understand what there saying there just going along with the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    The "n" word is so elementary, OP. They will hopefully grow out of it by the time they're 13 and have moved on to much more appropriate words, such as "spook" or "jungle bunny".

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.