Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    It's almost always used in an offensive and derogatory way, when I've heard it anyway.

I.e. when it's been shouted at me from passing by cars.
    I suppose it's the history of the words then. I suppose you can't ban 'Paki' because even though it is often used in an offensive way, it's not meant to be offensive (I don't think).
    I could go around calling all Black people monkeys and I would get into trouble for that, but you can't ban the word monkey because it's used in an offensive way.
    I wish true racists could somehow all just die out tbh. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but I'm fed up of it. I've only been a victim of the 'N'-word once and it affected my because I was young, but hearing about other people's troubles, like yours, just upsets me. It's just skin colour and physical features! Why hate because of that?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    racism in youth is commonplace. when was it ever anything different? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I suppose it's the history of the words then. I suppose you can't ban 'Paki' because even though it is often used in an offensive way, it's not meant to be offensive (I don't think).
    I could go around calling all Black people monkeys and I would get into trouble for that, but you can't ban the word monkey because it's used in an offensive way.
    I wish true racists could somehow all just die out tbh. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but I'm fed up of it. I've only been a victim of the 'N'-word once and it affected my because I was young, but hearing about other people's troubles, like yours, just upsets me. It's just skin colour and physical features! Why hate because of that?! :rolleyes:
    That's the problem, I know it's just an abbreviation but I've never heard it used in a context other than an insult. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often, but I remember coming back from uni to my area and I was in my sister's car as she picked me up from the station, we were stuck in traffic and people walking past were shouting racial abuse at me, while I was IN the car! They took the trouble to look into the car at 9pm when it's hard to make out people in cars with the interior lights off and notice me. Anyway I'm just rambling now, but I agree!

When it gets me down I just remember that I'm not even Pakistani!

ReputationRep:
    I often hear racist remarks directed to the white community here. It's terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yes.
    Why can't I say ****** in a social and friendly way but black people can. Hrrmrmrr?
    because its a nasty, derogatory word for black people.

why do u want to/feel u should be able to say it?

ReputationRep:
    I see it all the time as well.

I live in a Large town in the South which is awash with racism and has reached a national level in news in recent times.

I live in a area were I am the ethnic minority and have experianced racism my self in the past when still in jr school and many kids who live in my ara are openly racist and post racist material openly through letter boxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Becuase if black people can say it freely in a non nasty/derogatory way then why can't I?

Surely this unfairness is racism towards white people.
    Try using your brain. Go ahead and use the n-word around the same black people that use the word. Don't use it around black people who don't use the n-word.

Not all black people are the same. Not all black people use the same words.

Can't believe the low intelligence of some people.

ReputationRep:
    Its not like we spend all day every day calling each other *******...the only people that tend to use it as a term of endearment are rappers and morons, why are you so eager to use it.

ReputationRep:
    You are not thinking logically. You treat people as groups, not individuals. And yeah people that bring up slavery when it's irrelevant are stupid as it only makes racism worse.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get "Hey, it's Bin Laden" from 8-year-olds whilst on my paper round around 6/7 years ago :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Racism (or rather ignorance of other races) part of childhood/adolescence, and usually something you grow out of (preferably sooner rathert than later). It's born out of finding the differences between you and other people (be it race, gender, religion, sexual orientation..).

If you still find yourself harbouring racist views past the age of 18-20, then you really are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, perhaps if black people and Pakistanis didn't refer to themselves as '*******' and 'pakis' within music and general discourse, it wouldn't be picked up by younger children.

I think it's more worrying, that there is much more severe, intense homophobia still existing within British youth, ironically highly concentrated within black and South Asian culture. I hear 'that's so gay' much more than I hear '******' and 'paki'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    because its a nasty, derogatory word for black people.

why do u want to/feel u should be able to say it?
    Because we apparently are all equal? Therefore should be able to say what we want?

ReputationRep:
    I do hope the black people on here do not ask their mum to make them some crackers and chesse.

By heck I am offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Because we apparently are all equal? Therefore should be able to say what we want?
    You want to use a derogatory term because we're all equal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Becuase if black people can say it freely in a non nasty/derogatory way then why can't I?

It's said ironicly. Also, if one black guy says it to another it brings them together (recognising tha tthey are both the same colour), if you say ****** and you're white you are placing each other apart.

Why would you want to anyway, it just seems a bit silly tbh. When white people say ******, it's always been in a racist context.

it's just a social thing, it's like you saying it's sexist that one can't generally talk to a girl about her period in a casual way, but it's acceptable for another girl to talk to her about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    because you're sweet?
    Wow, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit there...

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, to the people who say they want to say n**** in public, feel free too... there's a reason people don't say n word in public, especially when there's a bunch of black people around.

Myself, I'm black and me and my korean friend always say the word N**** and C**** back and forth ... but we don't do it on the ******* tube....... Hope that makes sense, just want to say for some reason my white friends have never ever ever EVER used the word N****... even to say sup n*****, meanwhile Daniel (Chinese) - says it all the time......

I miss being able to say the 'n' word on TSR. Saying 'n' word instead is so gash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    That's the problem, I know it's just an abbreviation but I've never heard it used in a context other than an insult. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often, but I remember coming back from uni to my area and I was in my sister's car as she picked me up from the station, we were stuck in traffic and people walking past were shouting racial abuse at me, while I was IN the car! They took the trouble to look into the car at 9pm when it's hard to make out people in cars with the interior lights off and notice me. Anyway I'm just rambling now, but I agree!

When it gets me down I just remember that I'm not even Pakistani!
    That sounds horrible. :no:
    Do you watch cricket? I hear it there sometimes in a non-derogatory way.

(Original post by AdeelAhmad)
    I often hear racist remarks directed to the white community here. It's terrible.
    I've heard this too. Eurgh! Idiots the lot of them! :rant:

(Original post by G8D)

Black people can't say it freely. Some of them say it to their friends, in the same way that some non-Blacks say it to their friends. If you somehow manage to have a Black friend, you decide whether you can serve your burning desire to call them a n***** by seeing if that friend uses that word in reference to themselves or other Black people. i.e. use your goddamn brain! :rolleyes:

(Original post by G8D)
    I think that the fact that some black people still refernce the enslavement and all the horrible things that happened as if they are still relevant. They aren't. Maybe this is a sign of low intelligence to?
    Maybe. I don't see how that confirms or refutes that you are of low intelligence though. :curious:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.