Turn on thread page Beta

Man dies in storm drains after neighbores ignor plees for help watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8186274.stm

for some reason i seem to feel really really distressed at this story.

The lazyness and untrusting of others leads to a needless death, probably because they just couldnt be arsed to get out of bed or thought it was a joke .

please restore my faith in humanity and tell me the majority of people would have helped in this situation, would anyone else have just laid in bed thinking "shut the hell up"

ReputationRep:
    How exactly did he 'get stuck' and die? Did he dive right into the drain?
    If I heard someone shouting for help, I'd certainly look out of my window and check.

ReputationRep:
    *******. Karma'll get you.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a bunch of bums! Plee's of help are plee's of help, don't they deserve to have attention on them even if it's just a false alarm?

ReputationRep:
    weird

ReputationRep:
    That's sad but if they are in an area where drunken screams are common I can understand why they didn't check, however if it were a quiet area then they should have checked...

ReputationRep:
    I would be to scared to go and Help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Whats a storm drain exactly?
    A big drain, oddly enough designed to deal with the increased runoff from heavy storms.

And funnily enough I fell down one as a toddler in Malaysia, and still have the scar on my forehead...

[edit] After reading the actual article, looks like in this instance they are just talking about the things next tot he kerb. I'm guessing that the guy lifted the cover off, hence getting stuck and dying. The ones in the tropics are literally big open drains with much larger gaps, if any in the covers, or at least they were in the late 70's...[/edit]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Badly worded. I can deduce what it is and what its function is.

I just don't know what it looks like or how one would fall down it.
    The holes at the side of the road, with the metal grids over, essentially. I also have no idea how he died. The article doesn't explain this very well at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Badly worded. I can deduce what it is and what its function is.

I just don't know what it looks like or how one would fall down it.

IIRC in the UK most storm drains take the form of basically a gap between the bottom of the kerb stone and the roadway. Effectively the kerb looks like a series of little bridges. Perhaps he got his head stuck down it and with heavy rain ended up drowning?

The other possibility is that it was just a normal street drain, he lifted the grille, got his head struck, or it fell on him, etc... Either way I guess that drowning is the most likely cause of death in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed he was reaching into it to get his keys or whatever and his arm got stuck... water wouldn't have to be very high in that case.

I seem to remember hearing about a similar incident where a guy got his foot stuck in a drain in a big flood and despite firemen being on the scene trying to save him they couldn't get him out

ReputationRep:
    i've never seen a storm drain in england before.. i've only ever seen those little holes in the side of the pavement..

it's lies! covering up for some murder by the government..

ReputationRep:
    Well shame on all those people who live there, I find it really disturbing that not even one person went to have a look. Whether or not they thought it was a 'drunken prank' wouldn't you phone the police at the least?

It reminds me of this story we got told in class once about this women in a paris who got attacked walking through a park at night all the people in flats surrounding the park said that they remembered screams in the night and not one person thought to phone the police, they later went on to say well I didn't phone the police because I thought someone else would.

Here is a storm drain
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)
    Well shame on all those people who live there, I find it really disturbing that not even one person went to have a look. Whether or not they thought it was a 'drunken prank' wouldn't you phone the police at the least?

It reminds me of this story we got told in class once about this women in a paris who got attacked walking through a park at night all the people in flats surrounding the park said that they remembered screams in the night and not one person thought to phone the police, they later went on to say well I didn't phone the police because I thought someone else would.

Here is a storm drain
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That sounds like the Kitty Genovase case in New York, it's called the bystander effect.

ReputationRep:
    surprised - no
    shocked - no
    saddened - a little

the way of humanity has gone - we will ignore cries for help in case whatever the situation is we may get caught up in, or we are so indoctrinated to human misery that we dont bother

ReputationRep:
    sorta reminds me about how women are told to shout "FIRE" instead of "RAPE" because people are less like ot help a woman shouting rape.

sometimes i just dont understand people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_ryan)
    sorta reminds me about how women are told to shout "FIRE" instead of "RAPE" because people are less like ot help a woman shouting rape.

sometimes i just dont understand people
    It's quite sad but I can see why. I'd be wary about running towards a rapist without several other people / a baseball bat or something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.