Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law Graduate with post graduate degree in Business- Where do I fit in an IB? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arabellaxxx)
    wow didnt think manchester was that bad

It was top 10 for law when I was applying in 2005. I guess things changed a lot
    It's not bad. The issue is that Banks don't care so much about individual subject rankings, but rather the overall prestige of the university. Manchester is a good university, but relative to the universities that the majority of IB applicants attend, it's very average. Infact, below average.

ReputationRep:
    Just my own experience, but I interviewed with a Canadian IB (TD Asset Management) for a summer internship and was told that there were a few law grads working there. I have no clue what the interviews are like in the UK but in Canada they are very technical and less 'fit' as there are a lot less analyst roles available on Bay Street (Canada's wall street) so they dont waste their time recruiting non-finance grads unless they are really special. In my interview I was asked about all sorts of things ranging from DCF models, WACC values, to financial statements. I would wager most law students wouldnt have a clue about those things, and as such wouldnt perform well in IB interviews. Needless to say I didnt get the internship haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    The issue is that Banks don't care so much about individual subject rankings, but rather the overall prestige of the university.
    Is there any logic behind that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Is there any logic behind that?
    Yes. Banks want variety and they want it from the best universities. Ergo, if you have a degree in Classics from Oxford, you're more likely to get an interview than a dude from Birmingham with a degree with Econ. The reason subject rankings aren't important is because subjects in general aren't important to banks.

ReputationRep:
    Sure I knew that degree didn't have to be specific, however disregarding individual subject reputation (which is what actually matters) is slightly haphazard. Sure, with places like Oxford you're likely to know that all teaching schools are excellent, however the tier of universities below definitely do vary from school to school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Sure I knew that degree didn't have to be specific, however disregarding individual subject reputation (which is what actually matters) is slightly haphazard. Sure, with places like Oxford you're likely to know that all teaching schools are excellent, however the tier of universities below definitely do vary from school to school
    You're basically never going to use your degree (unless it's something quantitative, in which case you should have an MSc and maybe even a PhD), so it doesn't matter how good your university is at a particular subject, it's the reputation that matters to the banks. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just telling it how it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Sure I knew that degree didn't have to be specific, however disregarding individual subject reputation (which is what actually matters) is slightly haphazard.
    And how fine grained do you expect them to run the process ?
    Perhaps they should they also check each year to see how good the faculty are at each university, ( after all faculty do move around ) ?
    And perhaps check what percentage of your subjects were taught by excellent faculty members ?

They have limited time to waste on recruitment.
    Sticking to LSE and Oxbridge seems to work well for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I realise they're in the position to be able to stick to Oxbridge/LSE. Other graduate recruiters will however know how good each faculty from universities are - that's their job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Yeah, I realise they're in the position to be able to stick to Oxbridge/LSE. Other graduate recruiters will however know how good each faculty from universities are - that's their job

Obviously. Not sure why you're talking about 'other graduate recruiters' in the Investment Banking subforum - so irrelevant...

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was allowed to ask questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I thought I was allowed to ask questions

Well yeah of course you are, but the fact that you were arguing for the importance of degree subject in terms of careers other than IB seemed a bit bizarre to me - all I was saying was that for the most part, degree doesn't matter in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester isn't bad at all for IB. It is on Citi's target list along with the usual 6.

ReputationRep:
    Well right now Its been narrowed down to Sales. Ive been reading several books on the industry and Im pretty convinced thats the best department for my skills. I know its not going to be easy but I'll give it my best shot. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Network and get some decent EC's to add to the CV.

ReputationRep:
    What are EC's please?

ReputationRep:
    Extra Curriculars (your story outside academia).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.