Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best friend is not texting me back, things feel awkward! :( What to do? Watch

One of my best female friends has known each other for 2 years. We have always seen each other a lot at school; we both have a strong passion for music, we have gone to concerts quite a number of together alone and always had good times together. We have always texted a lot and her name is the most common in my text outbox and inbox. She is the one of the most comfortable person to talk to; we have always shared a lot of personal stories together. I’ll be going to Uni and she’s taking a gap year and hoping to go to the same Uni next year.

But recently she is not replying back my texts, and things seems to get a bit confusing! I first by saying to her in the text last week that we haven’t seen each other for more than 2 weeks, we should meet up in town to catch up on things. But she didn’t reply to that text. I rang her 3 days after, but I immediately felt there was a sense of awkwardness between us, especially from her side, she didn’t say why she hadn’t text back either, I tried very hard to sound normal and happy etc. I texted her 4 days ago asking her how she is but she didn’t text back again… She sounded really quite and timid… I mean she is a really shy and quite girl, but we have always been comfortably talking to each other, and she never seemed to be like this before! I’ve always cared for her and loved her as a friend, she is the one person I least want to lose as a friend. I really don’t know what I’ve done for her to act like that, because we have been best friends over the last two years

What should I do now and how should I approach her and talk to her? I’m quite upset at what is happening. I don’t think I have created the sense that I’ve asked her out or anything over the first text she didn’t reply to nor the phone called I followed up on. I really miss her but she’s acting quite cold is really painful for me to cope!

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    just try and talk together, in a quiet place when it's just you two...unfortunately this might be a little difficult with your problems getting hold of her, so you may wanna try talking when you're in a group o friends at a party or something? that way it is not so intimidating and she may actually be there! just ask her if you've done something wrong, or if there is something that's happened that's making your friendship awkward..if she doesn';t give you a reasonable answer or won't answer then cool things off a bit for a week or two. give her time to approach you first instead of approaching her..that way you may be able to make things better.

good luck (:

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I have this very situation at the moment.
    I hate it when people don't text back because I tend to over-analyse the situation and arrive at various outlandish conclusions as to why I'm being "ignored"

ReputationRep:
    maybe she's got something going at home or school/uni etc and it's getting her down, maybe she's being like this with all of her friends, you don't know, only thing you can do is have a quiet word with her and say is something up between us? i jut feel like we're getting a bit distant.

Maybe there's a problem at her end with something, she might be having some issues of some sort and not be in the mood to talk to anyone right now. You could ring her again and ask if everything is ok and that you've been worried about her.

ReputationRep:
    She loves you immensely and is struggling to come to terms with the idea of not having you around whilst on her gap year. She's not being in contact as she feels pushing you away will make it easier.

That, or some external factor is really draining her at the moment.

Either way, you need to go to her place and have a decent talk with her, find out what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    Go round hers. It wouldn't be awkward if you knew her family a bit as well.

Or ring her home, and ask her parents if she's 'not available'.

ReputationRep:
    Give her another call and ask her if everything is ok. Explain why you're concerned (ie. what you've told us). Don't accuse though, just behave concerned. If she blows you off again I don't think there is much else you can do.

Thank you for all your replys, they have made me feel a bit better. I will think hard what to say to her.

ReputationRep:
    Probably bitter about the uni thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One of my best female friends has known each other for 2 years. We have always seen each other a lot at school; we both have a strong passion for music, we have gone to concerts quite a number of together alone and always had good times together. We have always texted a lot and her name is the most common in my text outbox and inbox. She is the one of the most comfortable person to talk to; we have always shared a lot of personal stories together. I’ll be going to Uni and she’s taking a gap year and hoping to go to the same Uni next year.

But recently she is not replying back my texts, and things seems to get a bit confusing! I first by saying to her in the text last week that we haven’t seen each other for more than 2 weeks, we should meet up in town to catch up on things. But she didn’t reply to that text. I rang her 3 days after, but I immediately felt there was a sense of awkwardness between us, especially from her side, she didn’t say why she hadn’t text back either, I tried very hard to sound normal and happy etc. I texted her 4 days ago asking her how she is but she didn’t text back again… She sounded really quite and timid… I mean she is a really shy and quite girl, but we have always been comfortably talking to each other, and she never seemed to be like this before! I’ve always cared for her and loved her as a friend, she is the one person I least want to lose as a friend. I really don’t know what I’ve done for her to act like that, because we have been best friends over the last two years

What should I do now and how should I approach her and talk to her? I’m quite upset at what is happening. I don’t think I have created the sense that I’ve asked her out or anything over the first text she didn’t reply to nor the phone called I followed up on. I really miss her but she’s acting quite cold is really painful for me to cope!

Thank you!!
    Okay if this persists for more than 2 months... I reckon

She doesnt want to speak to you. She ditched ou - now get over it.

I did the same thing to my best friend just blank her. People want to start afresh at uni and prevent dragging old baggage.

I mean throughout your frienship you say... we had great memories etc. But whatdid she think of you through then. Maybe you are just someone she had to hang around with for the sake of it. Not someone she thought the friendship was of worth any reward.

She probably never wants to hear from you again.

Get over it- she obviousuly doesnt want to be your friend.

Like I said I ditched my "best" friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Okay if this persists for more than 2 months... I reckon

She doesnt want to speak to you. She ditched ou - now get over it.

I did the same thing to my best friend just blank her. People want to start afresh at uni and prevent dragging old baggage.

I mean throughout your frienship you say... we had great memories etc. But whatdid she think of you through then. Maybe you are just someone she had to hang around with for the sake of it. Not someone she thought the friendship was of worth any reward.

She probably never wants to hear from you again.

Get over it- she obviousuly doesnt want to be your friend.

Like I said I ditched my "best" friend
    You sound like a lovely friend

OP: As the others have said, there is a likely chance that this is because of how much she's going to miss you when you go to uni and she's left on a gap year. OR there is a problem with her but she doesn't feel like/can't talk to anyone right now.

i'm now getting quite nervous... what shall I say to her on the phone?

Also ,there is a concert in about 2 weeks time that we both wanted to see, shall I ask her to come it watch it with me?

ReputationRep:
    She has fallen in love with you. Clearly.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, you sound really nice. Are you sure there's nothing going on with her in her home life etc. that she may be finding hard to deal with? Even though she talks to you a fair bit, and things are comfortable, because you haven't seen each other in a while it may be hard for her to pick up where you left off and reveal all straightaway. Also, some girls just don't feel like talking about it all (I know I don't), much preferring to wait for it to pass. Maybe you should do the same and she'll talk to you like before when she wishes. All you can do in the meantime is try to be there for her.

(Original post by LH123)
    She has fallen in love with you. Clearly.
    (Original post by LH123)
    he loves you immensely and is struggling to come to terms with the idea of not having you around whilst on her gap year...
    I just had a very nice long chat with her recently, and things seems to be back to normal now! Still don't know what happened before, but shouldn't matter too much now.

By the way, if she loves me, why did she pushe me back the way she seemed to have? I don't quite understand!

Thanks for all the reply so far, has helped a lot!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.