Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long did it take for you to pass your driving test Watch

ReputationRep:
    How many hours did you do and how many did you do per week?

Got any tips for passing your driving test faster?

ReputationRep:
    theres millions of threads like these
    use search

ReputationRep:
    I did a crash/intensive course (2 hours, 5 days a week) and had my license about 3 1/2 weeks after my 17th birthday. I've found that these courses are better seen as my friends are doing 1 or 2 lessons a week and most of them still haven't passed and some have been doing this since Sept of last year. Also doing 1 or 2 lessons a week means your more likely to forget things you've learnt.

Good Luck with your driving

ReputationRep:
    Like 12 hours of lessons.
    Do lots of driving with your parents, and download the test routes off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PiscesPrincess92)
    I did a crash/intensive course (2 hours, 5 days a week) and had my license about 3 1/2 weeks after my 17th birthday. I've found that these courses are better seen as my friends are doing 1 or 2 lessons a week and most of them still haven't passed and some have been doing this since Sept of last year. Also doing 1 or 2 lessons a week means your more likely to forget things you've learnt.

Good Luck with your driving
    Yeah but when you passed, you would have had hardly any road experience, which is never a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Yeah but when you passed, you would have had hardly any road experience, which is never a good thing.
    Well they say you don't become a driver until your on the road on your own and I was fine once I got my license.

ReputationRep:
    this

ReputationRep:
    It's taking me foreverrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    It took me (exactly!) 10 months to pass, I passed 2nd time. But whereas all my friends were doing upto 4 2-hour lessons a week, I only did a 2-hour lesson once a fortnight as I wasn't really in any hurry to pass. So compared to a lot of other people it seems like I took ages, but I probably had about the same amount of lessons, just spread over a longer period of time... I think I worked it out as about 42 hours altogether.

I know some people who just wanted to pass as quickly as possible and they did those intensive courses, and most of them passed 2nd or 3rd time. Nearly all of them have crashed though, but maybe that's just coincidence!

ReputationRep:
    This is true (I also did an intesive course), but I was also very aware of my lack of experience which meant that I was very careful. I was taught to control a car well enough to pass my test (first time pass, no minors), experience taught me to drive.

11 years down the line (almost 12 now :eek3: ) and I've not had an accident that was my fault - I also had the sense to do the pass plus and later the IAM qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Started beginning of December; ready to pass mid-May (first and second examiners failed me on things my instructor said they shouldn't have); passed mid-June.
    About 25 lessons and maybe another 30 hours out driving in the dual control Arnold Clark car with my dad.

ReputationRep:
    Singling out some of my mates who have passed from the others - The ones who had access to another car / their own car whilst they were learning seem to be the better drivers; the ones who are more aware and seem like they are comfortable behind the wheel.

Having said that, there are people who pick driving up very quickly which helps them become more comfortable behind the wheel.

It definately helps to have another car to drive though, if not, run through the procedures and manoeuvres in your head. This is what I did and it really helped!

I had 2 hour lessons (they're better ) and passed in a respectable time of about 5 months. Passed first time too .

ReputationRep:
    7 Months to pass. Was ready after 4 though. 3 month waiting time.

I had two 1hour lessons per week in the first 4 months, then one 1 hour lesson for the remaining three just to keep up to speed with manuovres and test routes.

ReputationRep:
    Mine took me 9 weeks from my 17th.

I started at the end of July and have just come in from my 5th lesson (2 hours at a time, therefore 10 hours). I've done most of the basic stuff, but not yet covered emergency stops or parking. It just depends on how quickly the instructor is willing to go with you.

I'd advice doing two-hour sessions as you can really feel the improvement afterwards, and you get to drive further! I was hoping to pass before I go to uni in Sept but the waiting list now is until then, and I can't apply until I've sat my theory (first available date 19th Aug, day before A-Level results, when I will be far to nervous to concentrate on road signs, so I may take my test around Xmas hopefully :/

Let us know how you're getting on x

ReputationRep:
    Passed in just over three weeks haven done something like six-two hour lessons.

ReputationRep:
    First lesson was on the 1st of december 2008, 2 days after my 17th. Passed first time on the 8th of june this year. Had a lesson a week (1hour) and had 25hours in the car and none at all with my mum or dad. Pretty much bang on 6months but there were a few weeks were i didn't have a lesson to to myself or the instructor not making it but hope that give you rough idea.

ReputationRep:
    6 weeks or 15 hours of lessons

ReputationRep:
    5 months, and I passed first time

ReputationRep:
    I had two hour lessons and so had roughly 80+ hours worth of lessons...unsurprisingly i passed first time with only 2 minors...!!!! too many lessons...my dad is practically bankrupt...!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.