Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm a Year 12 Student doing IB in Hong Kong and i'm a domestic student.

I will be applying for MBBS in Australia in 2011.
    I am aware that some universities offer undergraduate MBBS (UNSW, Monash, UWA) whilst some universities only offer "graduate" MBBS (ANU, USyd, UMelb).

Most undergraduate MBBS courses would take 5 years to complete (including honours 6 years)

If i want to study in a university that offer postgraduate MBBS because i prefer the reputation of that institute , i'd have to do an undergraduate course (e.g. Medical Science) and then do gradute MBBS. By taking this path, would i end up studying longer? (3 years + 4 years = 7 years)

Why do some universities offer graduate MBBS?
    What is the advantage/disadvantage of doing undergraduate/graduate MBBS.
    ________________________________ __________________________

And also, my predicted grade is around 36 now but i aim to get 39-41 in the finals, is it safe to say i can use some of Aus Universities as a "safety", or are most University Medical Schools in Australia equally competitive, what grade range should i aim to get to stand a good chance for a place?

Thank you all so much!
    Andy

ReputationRep:
    Why not CUHK or HKU?

Both are fantastic institutions, I have a few friends at both.

ReputationRep:
    Or apply to both sets.

If you want specifics on Australia OP, you might be better off at other forums to be honest. This is mostly a UK forum with the odd few internationals in the respective sections.

ReputationRep:
    if you google pagingdr, there is a forum for australian applicants.

ReputationRep:
    universities are starting to offer postgrad MBBS, simply because they feel a lot of people who got in the undergrad MBBS don't know what they are getting themselves in (and of course everyone will say they have researched the course well bla bla bla, thinking they are the special one who actually knows, but you don't really know until you have had experience studying in university in a health related degree)

If i were you i would just apply to undergrad MBBS, since it is what you want to do... bear in mind it is very competitive to apply to australia; UK will be an easier option for you...

Why not try HKU/CUHK? Although their academic standard are quite high, once you meet them you are in; but then i guess you can't really with 36 points predicted... hmm...

Graduate MBBS allows u to have more knowledge in other areas of medicine, and you'll be more mature when you come out to practise

Undergrad MBBS allows you to be a doctor earlier, and save you 3 years of university fees

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your generous replies.
    I forgot to mention that I'm also considering HKU and CUHK, but i am aware that you need somewhere around 40-45 in order to be called in for an interview?

Do you guys know anything about the MBBS course in HKU/CUHK?

Are there any particular institute in Australia that have a renowned MBBS programmes? (USyd, UNSW)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Wu)
    Thank you all for your generous replies.
    I forgot to mention that I'm also considering HKU and CUHK, but i am aware that you need somewhere around 40-45 in order to be called in for an interview?

Do you guys know anything about the MBBS course in HKU/CUHK?

Are there any particular institute in Australia that have a renowned MBBS programmes? (USyd, UNSW)?

Thanks
    I know a little about both universities, and their courses... what would you like to know about them?

But yes, you would need something around 41-45 points for an interview, but once they call you for an interview you are pretty much in their course... interview is just to make sure u are not a mass murderer or rapist and the likes

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.