Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious to reasons of why people wanted to study a specific subject at uni??

Was it in aid of a better job? Personal reasons??

What spurred you on?!

~L
    x

ReputationRep:
    I chose Classical Civilisation purely because i enjoyed it so much in college. I always said that i would pick a degree i knew i had interest in. It's funny because i picked Classics at college kind of out of the blue to fill up one of my options, because it was either Classics or English Literature, and i hated Lit in GCSE so it's kinda by fluke that im doing it at uni, i could have ended up doing something terribly different. Glad im not though

ReputationRep:
    For me, the choice was made when I was 14/15, working on a TV show and realising that I was fascinated by those behind the cameras. I then found out I could study for a degree in TV Production, and was set on the idea.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study English purely because I love it! And I want to teach the subject when I finish

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to read English, because I like it, and it's what I do best in. I don't know what I want to do after University, though.

ReputationRep:
    I hope to study modern languages, simply because I really enjoy learning them

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy english and its my best subject
    Also, its a good pathway to either teaching or journalism...haven't made my mind up on that one yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so many English students!

Yeah, I'm gonna study English because I really enjoy it. That's the jist of it really. Also I want to do something in the field of journalism or human rights so it leaves that open for me.

ReputationRep:
    Anthropology & Development

I've never found any subject that interests me as much as Anthropology, ever. I decided that this was what I primarily wanted to study, but I never wanted to do it as a single honours. I wanted to combine with something that would prove a bit more practical.

I chose to combine with Development because I hope to go into the field (or something related) later on - and no doubt the things I'll learn on my course will be invaluable. It's also fascinating and I want to learn how the world works. The combination of politics, economics, sociology, social policy and other disciplines means it'll probably never make for dull times =)

ReputationRep:
    I'll answer now I think.

Genetics

I've always wanted to be involved with hospitals and health, since I've been around it all the time. Endless hospital appointments, trying to understand whats going on. I've went through phases of wanting to be a doctor, but thats not where I decided I'd like to be.

My brother has a genetic disorder (see Link in sig), and I want to help, if not cure it. I know this may seem ambitious, but I'd like to be able to help SOMEONE...

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science (obviously )

Wasn't overly fussed on any of my ALevel subjects and didn't know what I wanted to do so decided to try a new subject which is quite open ended. Five years later i'd say it was a gamble but I made the best choice.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i read english first time around for the same reasons as others in this thread: it was my best subject, i loved reading and writing, it all came so naturally to me. However, it ended up being the wrong decision (for me). I never imagined I wouldn't enjoy studying English, I think it was the uni/teaching but either way I've not felt the same about books since

So now I'm studying Architecture which I had been thinking about since high school but the seven years put me off. I chose it because it's challenging, allows creativity but has a definite discipline to it. And also I just love looking and learning about beautiful buildings and the minds behind them and I've got an agenda to use what I know to work in developing countries/cities.

ReputationRep:
    Maths because I enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an idealist.

Or, was.

ReputationRep:
    Criminology because I love it! I was going to do English purely because I was good at it and everyone expected me to, but I chose criminology because it's what I want to do
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A mixture of finding it very enjoyable, it being a compromise, and also career.

I do thoroughly enjoy economics for its own sake, however at the same time it's a varied discipline and so combines a lot of other subjects that I did consider including politics, law, mathematics, and statistics. Also, after my degree I'd first like to go into economic policy formation or something similar, and so a degree in economics is pretty much a must.

ReputationRep:
    Quite obvious but because I want to be a teacher and I wanted to do a 3 year course as I've had previous study and couldn't afford a 3 year course and then another year for a PGCE.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've never seriously considered being anything else since I was about three!

I don't know why really.

My Grandad (rest in peace) was an accountant, so now he's looking down on me and making sure I pass

ReputationRep:
    See sig for details of what I'm applying to.

I'm pretty interested in biochemical sciences and computing so it was pretty hard to choose between them but in the end I thought biosciences have more interesting career options and allow me to go into graduate medicine pretty much anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty much the only subject that I was actually interested in.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.