Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First time I decided to try something new, didn't like it and tried to make the best out of a bad situation.

After not doing German for a year, and after having done it for the previous seven, I realised that that is what I wanted to study further and am combining that with Italian as I like the country and wish to learn another language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMDaines)
    First time I decided to try something new, didn't like it and tried to make the best out of a bad situation.

After not doing German for a year, and after having done it for the previous seven, I realised that that is what I wanted to study further and am combining that with Italian as I like the country and wish to learn another language.
    Cool! [email protected] thinking on doing german as my other module

ReputationRep:
    I chose Politics because I had a great interest in it and loved it in A Level, the thought of doing lots of research reading and essays on politics made me smile!

I added the with economics because I think it gives me some vital extra skills and makes me more employable, but I love it too now! I hadn't studied it before degree level.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know what i was going to be doing untill a couple of days ago, but if my grades get me in, I'm going to be doing dentistry. Why? Just because it's a profession that'll make me money . Not the best of motives, i know. But my theory is that you'll never be happy doing your job, at the end of the day it's still going to be a routine like every other job you could've gotten with any other degree. So i thought it would be wiser to choose a subject where I'd hopefully make money whilst being unhappy rather than just settling for the unhappiness alone :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Motorsport Technology - fits in with my business plans and should be a very fun 3 years

What could be better than playing about with cars for three years and getting a degree for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    I didn't know what i was going to be doing untill a couple of days ago, but if my grades get me in, I'm going to be doing dentistry. Why? Just because it's a profession that'll make me money . Not the best of motives, i know. But my theory is that you'll never be happy doing your job, at the end of the day it's still going to be a routine like every other job you could've gotten with any other degree. So i thought it would be wiser to choose a subject where I'd hopefully make money whilst being unhappy rather than just settling for the unhappiness alone :tongue:
    Dentists have a high suicide rate

ReputationRep:
    English Language & Education Studies

Well i've always done well in English, I love the subject and I adored learning about the origins of language and things like semantic change :p: But i've never had the patience for English Literature

Plus I would like to be a Primary School teacher so doing Education Studies to put me in good stead for the PGCE course

ReputationRep:
    Because I think I'll enjoy it, be good at it and also I really wanted to live in York.

ReputationRep:
    Good choice. You could be really rich if you play your cards right.

ReputationRep:
    I chose Journalism and Media because I like Journalism, I like Media.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    I chose languages because they open loads of doors career wise and I enjoy learning them. Plus, the fact that the degrees aren't too competitive to get onto and I get the opportunity to travel made it somewhat of an obvious choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    I'd like to think I'm sane enough not to kill myself thanks very much

(Original post by PlanetTea)
    Good choice. You could be really rich if you play your cards right.
    Thanks Other than Kaykiie (grrr :tongue:), every single person i've mentioned dentistry to said "great choice".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    ROFLCOPTER how wonderfully odd a statement

ReputationRep:
    Social and Political Sciences

It has both a very practical application, and is relevant to contemporary issues and humanitarian concerns such as equity, poverty alleviation, social mobility, conflict resolution and economic policy. At the same time it has a strongly critical and analytic foundation, and involves questioning underlying causal mechanisms and the structures and trends of society and human behaviour. All of this covers alot, including most of the things I care about, take interest in and feel willing to actually put any of my time or effort towards.
    I'm simply uninterested in entering a career or vocation that isn't connected to the needs and interests of humanity on a large scale.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think I'm sane enough not to kill myself thanks very much

Thanks Other than Kaykiie (grrr :tongue:), every single person i've mentioned dentistry to said "great choice".
    I applied for dentistry the other year
    Declined the offer when talks of my brother in hospital arose as I knw I wouldnt be able to focus and get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    I applied for dentistry the other year
    Declined the offer when talks of my brother in hospital arose as I knw I wouldnt be able to focus and get the grades
    what did you choose then, which degree? Is he ok?

ReputationRep:
    I almost went for computer science (5 of my 6 UCAS choices were CS degrees) but I freaked out about finding myself working in an office. If I'd done a CS degree I'd be able to find a job a lot easier though.

In the end I went for...

Dual Honours at Keele because I loved the university on the open day. I also liked the dual honours philosophy, talking about breadth and cross-disciplinary skills.

Neuroscience because brains are amazing. It's such an exciting field to work in. I enjoyed the biological bits but it was the uniquely neurosciencey bits that I liked the most. How do these behavioural responses come about from neurones etc.

Music Technology because I wanted to take a gamble and work to develop my music skills. I'd always played the guitar but I'd never done any "official" musical education. I did have a little trouble adapting to a humanities subject (and a creatively artistic one at that!), but I learnt so much and had a lot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    what did you choose then, which degree? Is he ok?
    I'm now doing a genetics degree, which appeals to me more now anyway. My brother is fine now, he was getting major back surgery and it was a "now or never" situation, so obv we had to say yes. It was scheduled for after my exams but the surgeon decided otherwise and it was during them instead -__-

oh well :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing economics and politics at uni. The primary reason why I chose to do this couse ws to do with the fact that I've always enjoyed the news and current affairs so I thought it would be a good choice. Also, I will develop numerical and writing skills so I'll get the best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    I'm now doing a genetics degree, which appeals to me more now anyway. My brother is fine now, he was getting major back surgery and it was a "now or never" situation, so obv we had to say yes. It was scheduled for after my exams but the surgeon decided otherwise and it was during them instead -__-

oh well :P
    That's great Glad he's ok, i can't imagine having my brother in surgery during exams!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.