Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, but as to what I've seen of it you guys are really helpful and I'm stuck on this so, here goes!

I'm going to Year 13 after summer, and my Extended Essay has the following title: A psychological explanation of the placebo effect: to what extent are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo induced?

Due to the first part of the question, however, I've found myself describing the placebo effect from various Psychological standpoints (e.g: Cognitive) before moving on to the analysis of studies relating to the second part of my question.

From what I've read so far however, describing things isn't good for EE's

Anyone who can help me? The describing is about 400 words of my Essay, and all I've done so far!

PS: I posted this in two places because I'm not sure where to post it new to this forum, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

Perhaps someone who did IB psychology (read: not me) will be able to share some more detailed feedback, but I thought that I would chime in with my thoughts. I imagine that, given your essay topic, you will need to have some description. I haven't seen the Psych. EE rubric, but I imagine that a bit of descriptive writing should be fine. 400 words would translate to about 10% of your essay, which doesn't seem too high, but I would try to keep it at about that mark. Also, I think you might find that, once you have completed a draft of your essay, you may be able to take out or shorten your descriptive paragraphs a fair bit.

Do you have the option of contacting your EE adviser about this?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for you're reply.

And yes, we're on summer break right now, but I emailed him, he hasn't replied though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darthpoopie)
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, but as to what I've seen of it you guys are really helpful and I'm stuck on this so, here goes!

I'm going to Year 13 after summer, and my Extended Essay has the following title: A psychological explanation of the placebo effect: to what extent are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo induced?

Due to the first part of the question, however, I've found myself describing the placebo effect from various Psychological standpoints (e.g: Cognitive) before moving on to the analysis of studies relating to the second part of my question.

From what I've read so far however, describing things isn't good for EE's

Anyone who can help me? The describing is about 400 words of my Essay, and all I've done so far!

PS: I posted this in two places because I'm not sure where to post it new to this forum, sorry!

I did mine in Psychology and had the same problem as you in the beginning so hope is not lost :p:

Don't worry for one 400 words is not that much considering it's a 4000 word essay

right with the question you've chosen you can get analytical (what you want) when writing the essay easily. Have you found any studies that would work with your essay? If you haven't then if you go to google books type in the topic your doing and look for studies as they can help you get away from being descriptive as well as back up points you've made/going to make.

you're going to need to find a few studies for your essay to get it away from being descriptive. By adding % and ratios of what the results were can go a long way.

I did that and my essay turned out really good apparently (what teachers both said) :yes:

good luck and if you need any more help let me know (if you need help with setting out the bibliography and referencing let me know as with psychology they tend to like harvard style referencing)

If you send me what you have I could look it over and give some more advice if you want? Up to you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you SO much for your reply! Rep added! (don't know how valuable that is in this forum, temme if I can do anything else!)

(Original post by Sociallyanxious)

right with the question you've chosen you can get analytical (what you want) when writing the essay easily. Have you found any studies that would work with your essay? If you haven't then if you go to google books type in the topic your doing and look for studies as they can help you get away from being descriptive as well as back up points you've made/going to make.
    Yes, I've found a couple of studies, but I don't know if that's enough to pull off 4000 words :woo:

you're going to need to find a few studies for your essay to get it away from being descriptive. By adding % and ratios of what the results were can go a long way.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that do you mean like, means and stuff? Measures of central tendency?

good luck and if you need any more help let me know (if you need help with setting out the bibliography and referencing let me know as with psychology they tend to like harvard style referencing) If you send me what you have I could look it over and give some more advice if you want? Up to you
    THANK YOU, so much! I'll send it to you when I write a bit more if that's okay with you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you SO much for your reply! Rep added! (don't know how valuable that is in this forum, temme if I can do anything else!)
    Thanks and it's no prob.

Yes, I've found a couple of studies, but I don't know if that's enough to pull off 4000 words :woo:
    It helps believe me also if you don't shorten words (wouldn't = would not, don't = do not) you can get more words if you want in the end :dontknow:.
    If you put in studies you can add your own interpretation/ opinion on it and link it back to what your looking for (title) and this can up the word count :yep: The IB love when the students write their own thoughts and opinions in the essay according to my teachers

also it doesn't have to be 4000 it can be anywhere from 3500-4000 (not much difference but still it's something lol)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that do you mean like, means and stuff? Measures of central tendency?
    yeah means, measures of central tendency, etc. This will make the essay move away from being descriptive. for example for some studies I looked at in mine I quoted something from it like ''20% of the children showed...'' or ''the ratio between men and women in developing this disorder is 1:3'' and anything else you can find.

when you can just add numbers in there (results) and briefly explain what they mean and how they relate to your research question

It might not seem like a lot but it goes a long way in the end

THANK YOU, so much! I'll send it to you when I write a bit more if that's okay with you.
    Yeah that's fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.