Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That's right, start charging for something that used to be free, but don't add anything of value?
    What are they going to do, make some news up so that they offer something the others don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    I'm no longer going to use Times Online now you have to pay. Rupert Murdoch is a foolish fool who foolishly dreams of foolish dreams. Rep for the first person to get the reference!
    OBJECTION!

ReputationRep:
    I do not think so. I think that this a poor decision made by him.

With the advent of the Internet, it is becoming increasingly easier to find alternative and new sources of internet. Already reporters are becoming obselete, due to the emergence of blogs. So, to start charging people to view your content, seems to be a very strange decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    OBJECTION!
    More specific...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    More specific...
    good ol' Franzeska Von Karma or however it is spelt...

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! :woo: I'll rep you tomorrow.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't pay much attention to any of the **** he owns anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I like reading the times, but ill just go read the independent or something. I like to buy real news papers anyway, for some reason i find them easier to read :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    This is the stupidest idea ever, as other people have pointed out it will just make his competitors richer from advertising

ReputationRep:
    :stomp:dammit I only just noticed this thread and was gonan answer that:hmpf:

to stay on topic, everyone would just go on other sites for news:cool: people are cheapskates:proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :stomp:dammit I only just noticed this thread and was gonan answer that:hmpf:

to stay on topic, everyone would just go on other sites for news:cool: people are cheapskates:proud:
    eh eh eh:eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    No, just the end of News International.

Streisand's Law, innit.

ReputationRep:
    Well if people want to pay for the privelidge of articles such as "Read this and get angry!" and the like, that's their choice...

ReputationRep:
    This is the future. Online advertisements are just not making enough revenue and most newspapers are making losses. Someone's bearing that cost and it's not sustainable. What is a viable alternative? Watch the others follow.

p.s. I wouldn't say the BBC site is a substitute for their content.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.google.com

It compiles pretty much all the news sites from all around the world. There are far too many sites offering news for free. You'll get the people that are really dedicated to their news and pay the fee. But I reckon they'd end up earning less from the fee then they would keeping it free with adverts.

ReputationRep:
    "Quality journalism is not cheap"
    lol that statement is riddled with irony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    http://news.google.com

It compiles pretty much all the news sites from all around the world. There are far too many sites offering news for free . You'll get the people that are really dedicated to their news and pay the fee. But I reckon they'd end up earning less from the fee then they would keeping it free with adverts.
    If you want quality journalism you'll have to pay for it. This will be industry wide. The business model reliant upon online advertisements has failed. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    The Sun? News of the World? Quality journalism? :rofl:

News Corp are doomed to utter failure. They can try to charge for news, but are they going to copyright information? Will news stories be under the same regulation as fiction?They don't have a chance in Hell of controlling news. Whilst they can charge for some in-depth content, most people are not going to pay for actual news and information. You can't copyright that, and you can't stop its spread. Unless the printscreen button is removed from keyboards, you can't stop people doing that to sites, and attempts to stop it can easily be circumvented, anyway.

This is not going to help Murdoch recover profits. Instead, it's going to catalyse a new news model which will supplant the current system. A more direct form of journalism will emerge, and news companies will have to adapt, or die out. Give it some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If you want quality journalism you'll have to pay for it. This will be industry wide. The business model reliant upon online advertisements has failed. It's that simple.
    I don't have to go to a news site to find out what's happening when I can simply go elsewhere for news updates. Copyrighting raw factual information would be tyrannical, also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    There will always be the Beeb and I get my news from there, anyway.
    All people will do is go elsewhere. I couldn't give a stuff if I can't get my news from The Sun or The Times websites. Murdoch's lost the plot if he thinks people will pay for something that they can get elsewhere for free. You'd think that someone that makes all his money from current affairs might have seen what happened to the record industry when people had the choice between getting something for free and paying for it.
    is the record industry pretty much dead now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.