Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    is the record industry pretty much dead now?
    Their business model certainly is, but they're still clinging to it for dear life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Their business model certainly is, but they're still clinging to it for dear life.
    Yeah. They aren't dead. They need to move with the times and come up with new ways of generating revenue.
    Like I said, the way information businesses operate is going to have to change. This will probably mean finding a good way of generating profit, but not treating "piracy" as "piracy" at all.
    One way might be withholding intellectual content from release until people pay a ransom for it :giggle:
    No Doctor Who until X amount of money is raised XD

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that it's quite in to slate Rupert Murdoch, but that doesn't mean The Times does not contain "quality journalism". It's far better than the BBC website anyway, whose articles are often comparable to The Sun in their brevity.

Anyway, I'd consider subscribing to The Times website if I was no longer able to buy the newspaper itself for 25p from the student union shop. I prefer buying a newspaper to reading online anyway.

(Original post by foxo)
    I appreciate that it's quite in to slate Rupert Murdoch, but that doesn't mean The Times does not contain "quality journalism". It's far better than the BBC website anyway, whose articles are often comparable to The Sun in their brevity.

Anyway, I'd consider subscribing to The Times website if I was no longer able to buy the newspaper itself for 25p from the student union shop. I prefer buying a newspaper to reading online anyway.
    Thanks for negging me. Schmuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    Thanks for negging me. Schmuck.
    You're more than welcome. Putz.

ReputationRep:
    "Quality journalism is not cheap", how the hell would he know?
    He owns the Times you idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I think inevitably the time will come when serious investigative journalism will have to be paid for.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, we already pay to use the BBC News website (through the TV lisence), but I don't think this will be the end of 'free news'.
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    At least people have a choice over whether they should pay for this or not ...
    The BBC news website is free. It is funded by the TV license but you don't have to pay it to use the website. If you don't watch TV, it's perfectly legal to use BBC news without paying for a license.

(Original post by Bagration)
    He owns the Times you idiot.
    Well duh. I was aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    What? Paying for celebrity-obsessed or Tory-obsessed crap (even though I am in favour of the Tory party) as opposed to free unbiased news paid through a yearly tax to a worldwide broadcasting corporation?

I think I'll choose the BBC, thanks.

Still, we pay for news on a TV service of his - Sky. and the only news on that that we pay for is Sky News Channel. The rest are funded entirely though advertising (apart from BBC News 24)

ReputationRep:
    He should take a look at the model Current.com uses, granted they don't really produce the news themselves, but they do investigative journalism in different countries in their Vanguard programme as well as a whole host of other stuff, for free. Its bankrolled by Al Gore, or something along those lines, but I don't think he's the flushing the money down the toilet kind of guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I don't have to go to a news site to find out what's happening when I can simply go elsewhere for news updates. Copyrighting raw factual information would be tyrannical, also.
    If you want headlines then stick to Teletext news or Newsround. If you want lengthy articles and opinion pieces by experts then you're gonna have to pay for it. The Times is not Reuters or the BBC. The Sun is not Reuters or the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Murdoch believes that a micro-charging structure, where readers pay just 5p or 10p to access an article, might work. "This is less than the price of an SMS [text message]," he argued.
    "This is definitely the way the [newspaper] industry is going," he concluded.

And finally he indicates his wide knowledge about the newspaper industry :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If you want headlines then stick to Teletext news or Newsround. If you want lengthy articles and opinion pieces by experts then you're gonna have to pay for it. The Times is not Reuters or the BBC. The Sun is not Reuters or the BBC.
    You're kidding me, those are crap. And Newsround is for children. :wtf:

Like it or not, there's going to have to be some big changes to the internet news model which keep news free but generate profits, somehow.
    The Times is alright, but I don't buy it because it's owned by Murdoch. The Sun is beneath contempt. It's trashy prolefeed, nothing more. I hope it is one of the first casualties.

The BBC is a good source of news, anyhow. It might be tame and lack some of the content that online newspapers provide, but it's all you need. If you have a mind of your own, you shouldn't need "expert" opinion pieces to know what to think. And besides, the BBC has enough expert pieces of its own.

Naturally it's good to double-check with different news sources, and there are plenty of alternatives to The Times that you can go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merve_)
    Mr Murdoch believes that a micro-charging structure, where readers pay just 5p or 10p to access an article, might work. "This is less than the price of an SMS [text message]," he argued.

And finally he indicates his wide knowledge about the newspaper industry :facepalm:
    I wonder if he will allow refunds for when you think the article was badly written or the headline was misleading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merve_)

Well yes. And it would probably cost more than a newspaper in the end and simply put many people off going there when they can get free alternatives.

For The Times, people can go to The Guardian or The Independent, or The Telegraph. take your pick. Sun readers are usually the cheapest of the bunch, so I bet that will get the fastest decline in revenue

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

"Quality journalism", my arse.

ReputationRep:
    ''"Quality journalism is not cheap.'' - Quote of 2009. a.k.a no. Quality journalism may not be cheap, in his world, but his target audience certainly are...

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why they cant develop an effective advertising system. Why don't they have a system of registration, where certain details given provide targetted advertising like google and facebook?

I hope in the end they do find a way of making money. Newspapers arent going to survive otherwise, don't want to see the day when we have lost the investigative journalism we find in print media, to be replaced by what? Guido ******* Fawkes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    I wonder if he will allow refunds for when you think the article was badly written or the headline was misleading?
    Probably yes? :mute: :facepalm:
    "think before you act" = one of my favorite expressions:nah:

ReputationRep:
    How's that going to work then? What's to stop one person from subscribing and then copying and pasting the entire days news on to their own website and letting everyone else access it for free?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.