Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im wanting to go to uni from S5(12th year) i applied for chemical engineering in strathclyde but they changed the course to physics and i declined.

now i got a clearing option to get a chemical engineering placement at University of West of Scotland. does anybody know if the strathclyde chemical engineering course is any better than the one at west of scotland or are they both the same?:confused:

btw my mom would rather i stay in 6th(13th year) year than go to west of scotland uni

should i go to west of scotland or stay in school and try and get into strathclyde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gogo8773)
    im wanting to go to uni from S5(12th year) i applied for chemical engineering in strathclyde but they changed the course to physics and i declined.

now i got a clearing option to get a chemical engineering placement at University of West of Scotland. does anybody know if the strathclyde chemical engineering course is any better than the one at west of scotland or are they both the same?:confused:

btw my mom would rather i stay in 6th(13th year) year than go to west of scotland uni

should i go to west of scotland or stay in school and try and get into strathclyde?
    I can't say as I know much about the reputation of either, but above all else judge it on where you would be happy to study. If you do not think you would be happy at West of Scotland then don't feel pressured into going there. You're in a position where you *can* take another year without any "lost time" so make sure you're going somewhere that feels right for you. Don't be pressured into anything.

ReputationRep:
    I would stay in school and do advanced highers if you can, reapplying to Strathclyde or whatever uni's you want. What was their reason for not offering you chemical engineering btw?

ReputationRep:
    oh i didnt get good enough grades for strathclyde , however i decided to go to west of scotland since one of my friends is going there on the same course and my dad also once went to paisley and told me everything abt it (good and bad).

would i be able to get my travel costs paid for by the SAAS since i live abt 6 miles from the paisley campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gogo8773)
    oh i didnt get good enough grades for strathclyde , however i decided to go to west of scotland since one of my friends is going there on the same course and my dad also once went to paisley and told me everything abt it (good and bad).

would i be able to get my travel costs paid for by the SAAS since i live abt 6 miles from the paisley campus.
    Probably can but don't expect them to give you much if anything.

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni from S5 (to Glasgow), and I thought that it kind of threw me in at the deep end (in the good way). Worst comes to worst and UWS doesn't work out you can restart at Strathclyde and you will still get funded as you get a re-sit year with SAAS.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend staying on for S6 and just buliding on the grades you already have. If you really want to go to Strathclyde, then it would be beneifical to stay on for S6, and make sure you get good enough grades, and reapply for 2011 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkRennie)
    I would recommend staying on for S6 and just buliding on the grades you already have. If you really want to go to Strathclyde, then it would be beneifical to stay on for S6, and make sure you get good enough grades, and reapply for 2011 entry.
    Beneficial* I can't take you seriously because you can't spell. You must fail at life. Please die

ReputationRep:
    I would stay on for s6... UWS doesn't get that good a name where as strathclyde does. Especially for science... and especially for engineering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.