Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Prove that "A set of all sets does not exist "

I know its better to use proof by contradiction here. So I assume a universal set which contains all the sets exist .However after that I don't know what to do ?? Can someone point me in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    I know very little about sets, but I don't think a set can have itself as a member. I'm probably wrong, so please say so (unless I'm right of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meatball893)
    I know very little about sets, but I don't think a set can have itself as a member. I'm probably wrong, so please say so (unless I'm right of course).
    I think what you said is right ,For instance let the universal set be A , since A doesn't belong to A itself it should belong to some other unknown set. Hence a universal set does not exist ..But i dont know if its a valid proof.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a set that contained all the sets then it must contain itself because it itself, is a set. To not contain itself would falsify the idea that it is a set of all sets. The question is really "Can a set contain itself?" I cant remember how you prove it though.

ReputationRep:
    Wiki russell paradox or you could consider the power set.

Yeah, if you have a set X, where X=m and contains all sets. But, the power set P(x) would be bigger then set X, from |P(x)|=2^m. So P(x) should be bigger then set X which is impossible as set X should contain P(x) because it is the set of all sets. Contradiction.

Recall the naive comprehension axiom: for any well-defined predicate P(x), \exists a \forall x ( x \in a \leftrightarrow P(x) ). Define the predicate P(x) such that P(x) := x \notin x, and let the set r be a set which must exist by the NCA. Now, we obviously have that either r \in r or r \notin r. Your task is to show that both of these cases lead us to a contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    ahhaah i remember this. my lecturer was giving us a brief history of mathematics and he told us about this. we just didn't care :P
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    So what about the universal set?

In set theory, a universal set is a set which contains all objects, including itself.

ReputationRep:
    From the same article:
    Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory and related set theories, which are based on the idea of the cumulative hierarchy, do not allow for the existence of a universal set.

(Original post by nuodai)
    So what about the universal set?
    The OP is almost certainly working with first-order logic.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.