Turn on thread page Beta

confused about eligibility - please, please can anyone help? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    I've just secured a place in a great pgce course and was both surprised and ridiculously happy - until I had to put my funding application in.I'm waiting anxiously for assessment, but in the meantime I'm going crazy worrying about two big questions: firstly, though I'm a uk-born full uk citizen and have been resident here permanently since 2004 (my family moved from uk to australia when I was a child, and then back again in 2004), I have spent about ten months outside of the uk during that time, about six or seven months of which was within the last three years (i took a short contract last year to work back in Oz, because it was an amazing job for my CV - really kicking myself now) . the rules say six months or more, so there's a chance I might NOT be classed as a home student?
    Secondly, I already have an undergraduate degree and a MArts, but these WERE NOT funded by any UK governement body- my undergrad degree was australian, and when I took my M.Arts here at Uni of London we hadn't been back for long enough for me to be classed as a home student so I enrolled and paid for it as a foreign student. BUT does having a masters disqualify me for PGCE funding anyway?
    If anyone can give me an idea of what my situation might mean re: funding, I'd really appreciate it. Basically, I want to know whether to have some hope or not !!!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I think that from the start of this year, it doesn't matter where you were funded from, you won't be funded if you have a degree. I'm sure Taiko will be able to confirm or correct that, though.

I'm not sure about your stay in Oz, because I think if you take a full time job in another country, you have permanently left this country. I'm not sure, however...

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. This is what I was afraid of...and it would be so unfair: because I did two GOOD things: took a job opportunity, and did a great MARTS ( and worked my butt off for a year beforehand to save the money to pay foreign-student fees for it), I am now probably screwed for my PGCE, which I really, really want to do. Stupidly, though I've lived here permanently since 2004, it seems it would still be easier for me to go back and do the Australian equivalent of a PGCE, what they call a Grad Dip. of Education (i'd get the equivalent of a tuition fees loan and a very small amount of student allowance, not enough to live on, but it would help)...But it seems ridiculous that I have to go there to get qualified when my life is here and I'd be coming straight back here to teach. And the PGCE is just better anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Was your contract temporary? Did you stay out there for any period of time after your contract ended?

ELQ doesn't come into PGCE courses.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, you learn something new everyday.

Doesn't look like you need to worry about your previous degree, then, sorry to worry you!

Taiko knows what he(?)'s talking about, so you'll get your answer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Taiko and controversial,
    Wow, thank you- yes my contract was temporary, it was a chance to get some managerial experience with a great gallery ( I'm an art person), covering maternity leave. I arrived 20/01/2008, started work on 01/02/2008, finished work on 25/06/2008 and left to come home on the 01/07/2008. what do you think? and thank you guys for answering so quickly, too!

ReputationRep:
    I think, on production of the work contract, and from providing a document to show you were resident in the UK before you took the job, you'll be fine for PGCE support.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you're right.......Any idea what kind of paperwork they might ask for to prove residency? I usually live with my family and in 2007 I wasn't working - long story, I was very ill for first part of year and then just had a rubbish summer of applying for every job going and getting nowhere. Hm. But you've already been so helpful, please don't let me sideline you, and thank you again !!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.