KPMG Assessment Centre Question Watch

nick777
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
In the First Round Interview I was asked about a firm doing well and what they could do to improve.

In the assessment day I have to give a 10 minute presentation on an organization, and how it can improve, and what steps it should take do so. Do you see a problem with using the same firm I used in the first interview as this will be in much greater depth?

Also for facts and figures I'm looking at www.hoovers.com/

Anyone know any other goods sites for facts and figures?
Danny_Boi
Report 9 years ago
may i ask you how long have you got to prepare for this presentation?
Kemik
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nope. It's fine. You'll be interviewed by a partner, director or senior manager so it'll be a different person to the one who interviewed you originally.
jay234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what position are you applying for btw ?
nick777
Danny_Boi: I have just short of a week, but have prepared some of the notes already for it.

Kemik: Perfect. Thanks for that, glad to hear.

jay234: Audit 2010 London
nick777
Another question:

Are we supposed to have the presentation memorized, or is it acceptable to read the presentation off your notes? I realize making eye contact is important, but memorizing a 10 minute interview might mean forgetting things.
donaldduck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had my partner presentation (after my internship) a few weeks ago and I printed out my presentation and highlighted the key parts. By reading through it a few times out loud, I learnt most of it and then during the presenation I just glanced at the highlighted parts to make sure that I didn't forget anything important.

As long as you don't look like you are reading it straight off you should be fine!
Kemik
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're free to bring in a page or two with notes. I just had them as bullet points for any key figures and to remember the overall structure. Remember you can't use powerpoint or anything like that in the presentation itself but you are free to use powerpoint and then print the slides off for the partner (I done it in bullet point form with key stats so he could easily follow).

Best advice I can give is be prepared to answer their questions! Think of every possible question they can ask based on your presentation. Key things such as what services KPMG could provide the company, any problems you think they could experience with the opportunities you've presented. I was well prepared but still got a fair number of questions I wasn't prepared for. Know the company inside out!
nick777
(Original post by Kemik)
You're free to bring in a page or two with notes. I just had them as bullet points for any key figures and to remember the overall structure. Remember you can't use powerpoint or anything like that in the presentation itself but you are free to use powerpoint and then print the slides off for the partner (I done it in bullet point form with key stats so he could easily follow).

Best advice I can give is be prepared to answer their questions! Think of every possible question they can ask based on your presentation. Key things such as what services KPMG could provide the company, any problems you think they could experience with the opportunities you've presented. I was well prepared but still got a fair number of questions I wasn't prepared for. Know the company inside out!
Thanks Kemik, very helpful. In my presentation I have a brief overview of the company including some figures (sales 2008, employees 2008, and sales and no. employees 2008 of rival firm). I talk about what i believe the firm can do to expand, and how KPMG can help. My presentation should be around 7-8 minutes at max, which i huess is ok, as it says under 10 minutes.

I also have potential problems with the opportunities I have had problems with, should I leave those out of the presentation, so I can answer those when asked after?

Any other typical questions I can expect?

I'm under the impression, I perhaps should not go to in depth in my presentation, so I can save plenty of information for the questions by the partner? Would you agree with this?
Kemik
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nick777)
Any other typical questions I can expect?

I'm under the impression, I perhaps should not go to in depth in my presentation, so I can save plenty of information for the questions by the partner? Would you agree with this?
Keeping it brief is a decent idea. I basically done a SWOT analysis and then stated how KPMG can assist them.

The questions will be based n your company so I can't really help with that one sorry!
red_alerts
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Make sure you're commercially aware, e.g. how KPMG and your specific department can help them progress.

I didnt use any notes and benefited as a result.

If you've athens access then MarketLine is a good source of company data.
nick777
(Original post by red_alerts)
Make sure you're commercially aware, e.g. how KPMG and your specific department can help them progress.

I didnt use any notes and benefited as a result.

If you've athens access then MarketLine is a good source of company data.
I plan on having a part where I discuss how KPMG can benefit the company.

Athens? How do I gain Athens access? Thanks.
red_alerts
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try gettin on Marketline without it, might work. I assumed you were in uni, not sure how else to get it.

With my partner 'interview' it was really just an informal session for him to judge my business acumen, career motivation, commercial awareness etc.

No note taking, no preset questions, just a continuous flow of off the cuff questions about my chosen company, interest in KPMG, career path etc.

These guys are at the top of their game so can judge pretty accurately if a person will fit in well, if you're good enough you'll get through. Good luck.
nick777
(Original post by red_alerts)
Try gettin on Marketline without it, might work. I assumed you were in uni, not sure how else to get it.

With my partner 'interview' it was really just an informal session for him to judge my business acumen, career motivation, commercial awareness etc.

No note taking, no preset questions, just a continuous flow of off the cuff questions about my chosen company, interest in KPMG, career path etc.

These guys are at the top of their game so can judge pretty accurately if a person will fit in well, if you're good enough you'll get through. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm mostly worried about the presentation (not so much the presentation, but being caught out on the questions after, with respect to the market I have chosen).

I graduated University this July, but hadn't heard of Athens before you mentioned it!
red_alerts
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Really? Its just a username/password you probably use to access your uni's library data.

I cant see anyone graduating without it Lol.

I didnt get bombarded with too many questions, as I say he wasnt scribbling down my responses, just seeing how I responded to him putting me on the spot.

Questions were pretty basic, either to do with data/facts I had mentioned or how they could do xxx to move foward etc.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
athens has been phased out in a number of uni's and replaced by other systems which do the same thing
nick777
I have finished my presentation, just looking for more empirical data. I'm struggling to find free online industry sector reports. If it helps I'm look for an industry report for online retail (private sector).

Anyone know of any good sites?

Thanks
nick777
Big deal if my presentation runs at about 11 minutes? Or should I cut it down. I've read some people saying they went over and still got it though, so my guess is its not a huge deal.
noisla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey chill out. You're a graduate not experienced hire. They're testing your communication skills and business awareness skills, not you ability to trawl online databases and apply endless business models - you're about to join the firm to learn that. I did mine from notes off the back of an envelope and got praised for not being scripted. (Another tip is to pick a company so obscure your interviewer definitely won't know them and won't know where you're wrong e.g. that local company where you had your saturday job.) If you go over time A LOT you will lose marks for not being able to communicate in an effective manner but a little bit won't matter. The key thing is to present in a relaxed, structured way and not cram in too much.
nick777
(Original post by noisla)
Hey chill out. You're a graduate not experienced hire. They're testing your communication skills and business awareness skills, not you ability to trawl online databases and apply endless business models - you're about to join the firm to learn that. I did mine from notes off the back of an envelope and got praised for not being scripted. (Another tip is to pick a company so obscure your interviewer definitely won't know them and won't know where you're wrong e.g. that local company where you had your saturday job.) If you go over time A LOT you will lose marks for not being able to communicate in an effective manner but a little bit won't matter. The key thing is to present in a relaxed, structured way and not cram in too much.
haha, thanks. I picked a pretty large company, and it went ok (I think). However I stuffed up one question in the partner interview about the presentation. Trick/tricky question, and I couldnt answer it, but luckily there was only a short period of silence, and then the partner discussed it. Its true what the forums say, the partners are nice people, and its a much more relaxed chat, and you dont feel the nerves like in the first interview.
I also am worried I was a little quiet in the group exercise. I spoke, gave ideas, and tried to keep the group on track and organized as far as time was concerned, but I was one of the quieter ones.
As for the e-tray, I answered 23/24, didnt get to find the answer to the last though.

I have a question for you guys/girls. I had my AC on Tuesday, and they said they will inform us by email within 3 working days. However on the forums, everyone says a partner calls you within 1-3 days. What should I expect?

As expected, I am starting to assume the worst, as 24hrs has passed an I've heard nothing (human instinct lol)

For those who have been through the process, when did you hear and how (phone call/email/both)?

Thanks
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.42%
No (438)
60.66%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.91%

Watched Threads