Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm with someone I don't love, don't even know how I got to this point, and am stuck. Stuck in routine, stuck in this relationship, I know how to hurt so many people but obviously don't want to. I graduated in a subject I no longer have the drive to carry out, don't know what to do as a career, never had the experiences I craved so much. I'm in my 20s. Am I a lost cause?

ReputationRep:
    Get out of the relationship, first bit of weight off your shoulders. People get bored of their degree, it happens. You need to sort that out by yourself. Those "experiences" you "crave" can still be gotten. It's a bit melodramatic to be "woe is me" when you're in your 20's.

Oh sorry, I forgot that once you hit 20 you never share any problems with everyone, inside wanting to die or that you walk around with a giant smile pasted on your face as nothing could ever be wrong.

Look, I am aware that everyone has problems, I just needed a rant, I guess. I'm not suicidal or depressed, or anything. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    You're just going through a rough patch. Think of everything that's happening as a learning curve. Deal with your problems, you already know what to do about them.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like your life; change it.

It really is as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 going on 21.

Pretty similar position to you but accepting the lows in life won't be permanent is something which helps me stick it out. If you're not suicidal or depressed then understand it's only a temporary thing. Maybe you'll go on hating your job, I don't know, but alleviating your problems is within your own ability. It's up to you to get up and do it - that is the most frustrating bit, I'm guessing. You can, yet you can't.

Everybody needs to rant once in a while. Y'alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm with someone I don't love, don't even know how I got to this point, and am stuck. Stuck in routine, stuck in this relationship, I know how to hurt so many people but obviously don't want to. I graduated in a subject I no longer have the drive to carry out, don't know what to do as a career, never had the experiences I craved so much. I'm in my 20s. Am I a lost cause?
    Sort yourself out. Only you can change things for the better. Stop being so negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    You're just going through a rough patch. Think of everything that's happening as a learning curve. Deal with your problems, you already know what to do about them.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    no 20 somthing can be a "lost cause"- you have the rest of your life ahead of you! First, get rid of your bf. its unfair for both of you to be with him when theres no feelings there. Secondly, jazz up your routine, join a gym or start a new pastime that makes you feel worthwile and give you new experiences you crave. Is there anyone you can talk to about your feelings towards your degree/ future career? like a connexions-y type person or an old tutor? Do you know what else you want to do instead? have a deeper look into it.

sorry if this is not much help- i'm only 18 so doubt i am the best advice giver in this situation Good luck xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.