Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been given the tuition fees loan (though my sister is adamant my tuition fees should be paid by local authority as my parents incomes are so low) to cover my full tuition fees ...

But when still at sixth form they told us you fill in the one online student finance england form and that will assess you for all the different maintenance loan/grants etc, tuition fee loans etc. Now I've only been awarded a maintenance loan of £2763 (though I am sending a change of circumstances form as Im now going into accomodation rather than staying home so it should go up). Basically I'm wondering shouldnt I be getting more as my parents income is only around £24k and they can't afford to help me, and I don't seem to be getting any grant on top of the loan?

How else do I apply for more money?
    Have the finance company got it wrong, or my school when they told us how to apply?

Please help me I'm so confused!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any help, please??

ReputationRep:
    Thats all you will get, the maintenance loan goes up the more money your parents earn.
    Just be happy you're gonna be getting grants, that will pay for the shortfall.

You can't get more moeny, its based on your income, dont worry, my parents are earning just under the cut off and I only get £3000, so your not miss ing out on much...

write yo yur primary school and local conucil, they might do grants, and you can aply for the uni bursay if your paretns arent earning that much....

hope that heps,

and yes you applied in the right way.... what tution loan did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HertsStudent)
    I've been given the tuition fees loan (though my sister is adamant my tuition fees should be paid by local authority as my parents incomes are so low) to cover my full tuition fees ...
    They don't give out grants any more for tuition fees (they did pre-2006). Everyone gets tuition fee loans instead which need to be paid back once you start earning over £15k.

You should be getting some maintenance grant, not sure how much though.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to get a maintenance grant to top it up? As once my change of circumstances form goes through it will only just cover my rent for Halls and I'll need some money to live on whilst I try to find part time work?

Thanks for the reply.

I got the tuition fee loan from student fiance england of 3225 to cover my fees.

ReputationRep:
    no. the grant goes up the mosre your parents earn... you cant GET more. Unless you try for bursarays there snothing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    The loan is decreased as the grant is increased. So you get the same amount, but have less to pay back. I'm not sure if you are getting the maximum amount, but if the posters above are correct and you are, then thats it apart from a bursary scheme if your university offers one.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.